1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New parts and LOTS of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry New parts and LOTS of smoke

First of all I want to thank everyone who has helped me out over the years. I bought my first diesel 6 or 7 years ago, and knew basically nothing about them. You guys have been great. So I've started working on my dually. When I bought it six months ago, it ran rough, didn't seem to want to gain any rpm's, engine shook real bad. Fast forward to today, I installed DAP 5x.012's and a piston lift pump. Replaced the fuel filter and air filter. Bled everything, cranked it up and bled the injectors. I think I've gotten all the air out of the system. Now, in addition to the problems I had before, when I step on the pedal it blows out A LOT of smoke, bluish white. Actually, I think it runs worse now. A couple of injectors are seeping just a little bit of fuel, but I don't think it's bad enough to cause this. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
has the hp pump been tampered with for performance? or removed?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM

hp pump? I just put an lp pump on, everything on the truck was stock when I got it as far as I can tell. What do you mean by a hp pump?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Sounds to me like you are getting air in the system. Fix your injector leaks, check your fuel heater and fuel filter for leaks and all lines and any other fuel system you touched
Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I can't get it up past probably 1200 rpm's or so. I have a good stream of fuel at each injector when I crack them. Should I work backwards from there to check for air? I don't see any fuel leaking from anywhere.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
You don't always see fuel leaking where there is a air leak. If it didnt do it before its something you did. My guess is fuel heater
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
high pressure pump is your main fuel injection pump, if its stock, and hasent been molested, crack the line after the filter while running to check for aeration as gyman posted.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM

As far as I know, the injection pump is stock. I did remove the collar on the fuel screw and turned it in a little to bump the idle up after installing the injectors. Other than that, it still has the factory paint on all the screws and doesn't look like it's been tampered with. I'll try cracking that line...I did crack it while I was priming the lift pump, but you're right, I may still have some air in there.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM

I haven't got into my pump, but you don't adjust the idle with the fuel screw, do you?
How tight is the electrical connector on the FSS? And you do have oil pressure?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:49 PM

No, I guess technically you don't adjust the idle with the fuel screw, but I was planning on turning it up anyway, and it's much easier to access than the idle screw! As you turn up your fuel screw, it increases the rpm's and you have to constantly back off on the idle as you turn in your fuel screw. So I guess the end result is the same either way. Good oil pressure (better than the other truck). Haven't checked the FSS, but I will.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:04 PM

What some of us have done to adjust the low idle, is make a bracket that holds a 1/2 inch bolt, that the lever on top of the pump hits to stop its forward travel. Weld a nut to the bracket so that it can be adjusted.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 AM

White smoke is caused by raw un-burnt fuel which could be caused by Incorrect fuel injection timing, Defective fuel injectors, Low cylinder compression.

If the truck run fine before replacing the injectors, I'd lean towards them being the culprit (Not necessarily defective). Based off the DAP site the 5x.012 sticks are built to work well with a 57mm or 62mm s300 turbo. I'd tend to think that maybe those injectors are a little too large and a stock turbo can't provide the air required resulting in over fueling. I'm no expert but figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 AM

White smoke could also be coolant, but I'm assuming that's not the issue here.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Was the truck blowing smoke before the injectors?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Well, the truck didn't run good when I bought it. My original post about the problems are here https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ghlight=dually When I took the old lift pump off, it was full of a watery gunk, not sure what it was. Is it possible that I have gotten some trash in the IP? Is there a screen anywhere after the fuel filter that I can check? It didn't smoke before, and I had a lot more rpm's. I rechecked everything from the lift pump to the IP, I can't find any air anywhere. I still have two injectors that are bubbling just a little right at the base, I will have to pull them and try to get them to seal. I've torqued them down pretty good and still can't get them to seal. But I don't think that's enough to cause the problems I'm having. The engine shakes violently and pours out bluish white smoke before I even get to half throttle, and the rpm's don't come up much at all. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New parts and LOTS of smoke