1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I think I need an oil analysis... Fuel in oil?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I need an oil analysis... Fuel in oil?

Well my truck died about two weeks ago (made a few other threads on it earlier). My truck would barely run, but it would run rough and only idle smooth sometimes then it would die. I was thinkin it was junk in the tank plugging off the sending unit. But it wasn't I don't think I have it all torn apart now and the tank is dropped. The screen on the bottom of the sending unit didn't look very dirty. I drained my tank and there was a little bit of smaller junk in the bottom but didn't look like enought to plug anything off.

I pulled the lift pump thinking it was that, and it still primed and everything but wondered if it went bad which I think that thats what my problem was. I've heard of the diaphrams breaking and dumping fuel into your oil. We had this happen to one of our tractors once but luckily caught it. My buddy has a 92 like mine and he said he's been through 2 lift pumps already and he said they did the same thing and the diaphrams broke and dumped fuel in his oil. I checked my oil level and it looks the same, it doesn't look like it has gone up or down, but where my truck is parked in the garage it seems like the rear main seal is leaking a little more than it used to so that led me to wonder. Talking to my buddy with the 92, he said that that is the first place they start leakin if its got fuel in the oil, and it would all make sense to me. On my dipstick the oil didn't look real runny or smell like diesel but I don't know for sure. So I think I am gonna get an oil analysis while its down to check and make sure its all good while I'm waitin on parts to put it all back together. I am getting a custom sump and running either a fass or carter electric pump with probably 3/8" lines so I shouldn't have this problem again. I'm hopin my oil is fine since it is expensive amsoil and I only have about 2000 miles on it

Just thought I'd check quick with what you guys think if it was my lift pump and if you think I got fuel in my oil? I didn't run it much after it died, just a mile or two to get it off the road while it was sputterin and got it to run to get it on and off a trailer to get it home. So I was wonderin if it could've just leaked a little in and not a whole lot.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Front seal of the IP will put fuel in the crankcase at a much slower rate than a ruptured diaphragm in the LP.