1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New to Cummins -- doing a head job - Want to change, upgrade, or clean my injectors??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Cummins -- doing a head job - Want to change, upgrade, or clean my injectors??

My truck... 1990 D350 (Nonintercooled)

Hi!

I'm with MoparMarv and am the buddy that he's helping with the head gasket, KDP, etc, etc. We've got the head off and it's at the machine shop. While we wait for positive test results and a possible redeck I'd like to do something about my injectors.

They all looked pretty bad and two were really wet like a possible leak. The truck was putting out white smoke all the time which is why we're replacing the head gasket in the first place. All the same since we're here and doing all this work I figure it'll behoove me to do something about cleaning or changing the injectors.

What do you guys suggest?

At some point in the not so distant future I intend to fully convert the truck to run on vegetable oil. I've already done this with two Mercedes, and a VW. Plus with my current Mercedes I run a vegetable oil blend of varying degrees depending on weather conditions (up to 50% in the summertime). **Just to keep in mind -- that's why I figure after 150K+ it won't hurt me to start fresh with the injectors**

I called Midwest Fuel Injection and discovered that they don't really like when guys shop them online and then call their location. The guy was trying to sell me injectors for $70 a piece until I told him I was online and looking at Bosch injectors for $35 a piece. He told me that those were factory remans and that yes that was the price -- then quickly hung up.

SO... $35 for factory remanufactured injectors. Is this a good deal?

Can I do better to have my existing ones overhauled?
Can I soak them in some miracle substance to make them good as new?
Can I upgrade them for a little more for even more satisfaction?

What to do?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
~Ed[/SIZE]
Attached Thumbnails New to Cummins -- doing a head job - Want to change, upgrade, or clean my injectors??-good-cummins-pic_2.jpg   New to Cummins -- doing a head job - Want to change, upgrade, or clean my injectors??-good-cummins-pic_4.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would stick with what you have. 150k is not a lot of miles.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new injectors

Dervo, Like wanna said 150k isnt a lot. When I did my head gasket last spring I ended up putting a 7mm head on. I had my injectors rebuilt, with the 7mm tips for $200 out of a diesel shop in Pensacola Florida. They have stuff on ebay as well, with new rebuilt stockers for $204. Real good guys, and good quality work. There is also a Company in Colorado that makes a set of injectors for the 1st gens strictly running WVO, the have a diffrent spray pattern, but there like $400 and some change. I cant remember the company name. And running straight oil with our VE pumps with gum them up. It hasnt hurt them, but ya will have to take the pump case top off and clean her, if your running WVO. I have been running poor man bio, of 75% wvo and 25% diesel with no problems, but it dosent get that gold here in Florida.
Good Luck with every thing, and good job on doing ur part with the WVO and Bios.

Bob