1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New 12V builds on DTR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ofelas
Deep State traitor.
Good luck with your non IC cylinder head.
mines intercooled tho
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Saving grace, intercooling is more forgiving to unmatched fuel/air.
Still, though my previous post was in jest, I’d strongly advise you to check for any cracks emanating from the injector bores in your non IC head.
And at the very least, retorque your factory head bolts when cold to an almost rubbery torque value.
And no, boost psi doesn’t contribute much to blown head gaskets.
The following users liked this post:
garrettp62 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so with me going to the different pump would i need the head off of the later 12v with the 7mm bores
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
No difference in flow between the 89-91 head and the 91.5-93 head, but the 7mm IC head is less prone to cracking, esp around the injector bores.
Magnaflux is your friend, once you’ve conducted visual checks.
The following 2 users liked this post by ofelas:
garrettp62 (09-20-2018), nonrev (09-21-2018)
Old 03-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Anyone got a major project, or big swap planned for the winter?
I like the look of the old Power Wagon build out of NM, mhuppertz is planning

There used to be several interesting major builds going on at any one time here.
I would get inspired by ideas and stuff people where doing.

Things like....
Mark making a bolt in engine crossmember, front of the front spring hangers and lots of custom pieces for his D-250 to W-250 build.

Thrashingcows pushing 12Vs UP his driveway on his all around awesome crew cab, Patches, build thread that lasted for years.

Papecat's teal crew cab and it changing turbo selection and out of the box transmission O/D set up.

CE TX cool crew cab build with custom leaf springs and hangers.

The over the top Ramburban build of gyman98's. Or his crew cab...or old Powerwagon build

Vader's slick looking lowered black dually with the trimmed down front coils, flipped spring hangers and longer shackles on the rear. [not really a full build, but had some different ideas going on in it]

BHD's Firewagon with all the awesome '70s flavor a guy could need.

There used to be several crew cab and Ramcharger 12V swaps being built at anytime.... Now, the only two active ones I can think of are 40 FT apart from each other in my own shop.

Well I am making a black tea with a shot of maple syrup and I am headed out to the shop to weld on my 12V '78 RC for a bit and listen to Tool and Clutch for a bit. Those bands have the perfect names for shop music.
I know it is a old thread revival- but I am getting ready to embark on fixing up my poor beat to hell island 92. No such thing as a "winter build" in hawaii- just "a build" LOL- I am going for a loose interpretation of the old "lil red wagon" of the 70s, as it is a stake bed dually.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:53 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by CruisingRam
I know it is a old thread revival- but I am getting ready to embark on fixing up my poor beat to hell island 92. No such thing as a "winter build" in hawaii- just "a build" LOL- I am going for a loose interpretation of the old "lil red wagon" of the 70s, as it is a stake bed dually.
Pitter patter, let's get at 'er!

Sounds like a fun build. Pics are nice for those of us that don't read so good.....
Old 01-04-2022, 08:21 AM

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Anyone planning some cool upgrades or major builds or swaps this winter???
What happened to all the guys posting all the cool stuff they are doing to their rides?

I want to get Project Covid finished up. It runs and drives right now but needs the wiring dialed in and some front end work, u-joints, tie rods, dailing in the crossover steering, ETC. Along with a bunch of small detail stuff.... bumpers, wire up the lights, interior stuff and the like.

I also want to get the 12V and 47RH 2wd combo in the D-250/Ramcharger hybrid frame and see some forward movement on the project. I have wanted to build a pop top Cummins powered Ramcharger for many years.

My daughter and I are also planning on doing some work to my old '69 Barracuda....that has been off the road since '02...the year she was born. Hoping it can be something she can enjoy a bit and take to some car shows with me.
Charlotte and I are planning on starting to work on the replacement 360 today from my white crew cab, before I swapped it to diesel. We need to swap all the '85 truck accessories off it...That is todays plan.
The following 3 users liked this post by oliver foster:
DevynBurk (01-04-2022), nothingbutdarts (01-04-2022), PapeCAT (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:14 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Time is the killer for me and then I get busy spending time/money on my other projects. Got my Fireplace finished then my new RZR has come in that i'm building.
I will get the trans/TC sealed up this winter and drive it more this spring/summer/fall for sure!
Old 01-04-2022, 10:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Greetings DTR First Gen forum Members. Unfortunately I have been sans any cummins or 72-93 dodges since I sold my 73 club cab cummins conversion. It had a powertrain from a 1993 D250 donor. I controlled the OD with a standalone controller so no PCM needed. I used all of the original stock 1973 Senders to interface with the dashboard. Turbo was a HE300VG with Steed Dolan Banshee VGT controller. After I sold it I had a few gas powered dodges. A 2017 2500 6.4 Hemi and a 2003 QCSB V10 2500 that I converted into a 3500 with a mega cab dually bed. It had a factory NV4500. Then I sold and bought a 2020 F450 pickup that held a UTV on top while towing our TT. I got into motorcycles last year again, but that got old pretty quick, and traded a 1997 Electra Glide for a 1995 Jeep YJ. So I've spent a lot of time dumping money into that pig just to beat it on the rocks. Anyway, I would love to have another 72-93 project but at these prices there's nothing that really interests me. All the best. I probably should have hung on to the 1973 D250 cummins. I really built it clean and did it right. Sold it to dodge people I knew and bought trucks from in the past and they ended up just slapping the carpet kit I included in the deal and flipped it for 5K more than I sold. A shame really. The teal / turquoise 72 crew was sold and then wrecked a couple months after as well. I also had a 1987 Ford F700 Knuckleboom flatbed that was pretty cool for a while. Did a ton of work to a couple 1998 durangos I had as well including putting a full float dana 60 in the rear from a ford E350 with E locker. Had other equipment and toys come and go including an early Yanmar B25 mini Ex, and a Deere 110 TLB. I only have a nice 1997 Ford 545D remaining for the work around the property and I groom the area for the local riding club. Take good care, all.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:33 PM

I have a rather thriving fab thing going on the side of my already booming main day job (I own an expanding clinic, really expanding) - so my personal projects, as usual, get left behind, You can see from my old history on this site, I have had a CTD pretty much continuously since 1994ish. Maybe closer to 96? Anyway, long time ago. Lot's has happened in my life, and now I have a really mechanically cool run down near basket case CTD. I have chased down the main things keeping it from running so I can use it as intended- to beat the hell out if it on my farm apparently. I have now collected two gasser trucks , both 92, to upgrade and fix up my 92 dually CTD. I am not even sure if it was originally a dually- in fact, I doubt it it. Early on in on it's life it was a tow truck for a long time. Then it was sold it a fisherman, local kine, who then REALLY beat the hell out of it. the wiring is cut all up and I have no clue as to what went to what when.

So my intention in the next year is to have a cab ready for it, painting it red and calling it "big red express"- if I get time, I may even lengthen the frame and bed another 2 feet.

I will keep it mostly stock engine wise, don't need lots more power, but I do want to make it clean, reliable and the AC work. Then I will own it until I die.

Right now, I am elbow deep in product developing bolt in engine mounts for Jeep XJ, YJ< CJ and TJ for mercedes e606 andn OM 617 turbo diesles to swap in to the jeeps. Oh, and I have a 68 dart four door /6 cruiser and 67 Valiant race care with a 470ci low deck stroker motor. Oh shoots, that's not all- I build custom cycles for a local cycle shop every friday.

But on my FREE time.......
Old 01-05-2022, 12:38 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Definitely some interesting folks here! I hate that it's not as active as it used to be but I guess that's how it goes...

PepeCat, I think I remember that turquois Crew, some kid bought it and ran it into a ditch? Not sure that specific one was yours but I do remember crying when I saw the pictures.

CruisingRam, on a Jeep forum I'm on, there's a guy there swapping a KJ's CRD VM motor into his FJ to replace the VW tdi in it which replaced the Cummins 4BT that replaced the original 6. Swaps are always interesting to me.

I don't have any cool projects really, other than the deferred maintenance I need to do to mine. But winter is a slow down for me. My "shop" is a converted tobacco barn - unheated and dirt floor so things really slow down this time of year. I only do what I have to and try and time it for when it's 40*F or above.

Looking forward to progress on the '69 Cuda. Maybe someone can post some pictures of it soon for you? Hopefully one day I'll see you and Charlotte in Carlisle with it!

Cheers!
Old 01-06-2022, 08:05 AM
BHD

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Anyone planning some cool upgrades or major builds or swaps this winter???
What happened to all the guys posting all the cool stuff they are doing to their rides?
Oliver I was just thinking I need to get started on my '85 D350 CrewCab that I bought last summer.

The plan is to convert it to 4wd with reverse rotation steering box, then build the low mileage P-pump engine, I also acquired last year, to about 450hp. I scored a set of 2008 Ram seats for the interior also. I have a Dana 80 SRW laying around here someplace. And probably fab up a custom flatbed. Not that I like flatbeds, but just because nice beds are hard to find in Pennsyltucky.

My madness behind this project is to retire my very tired '90 W250 from heavy trailering work.

Stay tuned for a build thread...
Old 01-06-2022, 08:09 AM
BHD

And I forgot to add that I got one of these fancy 6 hole forward gearboxes to survive the CTD.
edwinsmith (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:54 AM

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Nice boys.

BHD, Awesome a new crew cab build! Nice, that looks like a G56. Good score.

Papecat, Good to see a post from one of the long time DTR crowd. That teal D-200 looks really cool!
I remember talking to you about your crew cab when you where selling it. What a sweet ride that was.

Devyn, I was wondering how you where making out with the Orange truck and that 47RH swap.

I might have another major W-250 build starting soon in the shop too.
That is what you are supposed to do when you have two large projects already going...Right? My old boss called it "Finaphobia". The fear of finishing anything... Since we where a crew of framing carpenters, we never finished anything. We where off to the next build to start from scratch and leave the finish carpenters, painters, roofers, plumbing and HVAC guys to finish up the house.

I will post up details as Charlotte and I get our game plan together on the NON intercooled W-250 build.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Definitely some interesting folks here! I hate that it's not as active as it used to be but I guess that's how it goes...

PepeCat, I think I remember that turquois Crew, some kid bought it and ran it into a ditch? Not sure that specific one was yours but I do remember crying when I saw the pictures.

CruisingRam, on a Jeep forum I'm on, there's a guy there swapping a KJ's CRD VM motor into his FJ to replace the VW tdi in it which replaced the Cummins 4BT that replaced the original 6. Swaps are always interesting to me.

I don't have any cool projects really, other than the deferred maintenance I need to do to mine. But winter is a slow down for me. My "shop" is a converted tobacco barn - unheated and dirt floor so things really slow down this time of year. I only do what I have to and try and time it for when it's 40*F or above.

Looking forward to progress on the '69 Cuda. Maybe someone can post some pictures of it soon for you? Hopefully one day I'll see you and Charlotte in Carlisle with it!

Cheers!

The valiant headed from Alaska to Hawaii

The Dart

My A Bodies for now

My toughest project really

These two are in the shop right now getting the OM 617 treatment

My daily driver. Has nearly 300k miles on it, going strong, but have gathered all parts to swap in 606 Turbo to it.
edwinsmith (01-07-2022)

Quick Reply: New 12V builds on DTR?