1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New 12V builds on DTR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:33 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
What I would really like to be able to accomplish is: airbag the '74 FireWagon rear suspension for a hauler and build a 500+cube stroker RB in my '77 pulling truck and take that combo to the local brush pulls. And make all the boys cry on the entry and the finish. I know that doesn't take much when competing against the blue and bow tie, but that would add insult to injury.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
What I would really like to be able to accomplish is: airbag the '74 FireWagon rear suspension for a hauler and build a 500+cube stroker RB in my '77 pulling truck and take that combo to the local brush pulls. And make all the boys cry on the entry and the finish. I know that doesn't take much when competing against the blue and bow tie, but that would add insult to injury.

LOVE this plan.
You talking Kelderman set up, something custom, or just a set of air bags over the leaf springs?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by cabtruck
My truck was coming together then I’ve had some other things take priority hope to have time soon it’s been months sense I’ve even been in my shop

I am looking forward to checking this rig out at Carlisle in person with a bit of luck.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ZAAR
well what is categorized as a build a restoration or full out build ground up?
cause my 90 will be getting the knife torch sawzall within the next few months.
and in un dtr related news I have 2 other builds i've had on the bench I need to complete.
Swapping out the alternator, picking up some fresh floor mats, applying Monster energy drink stickers to the back window, or installing new tires and rims...not a "build".
In my eyes doing something kinda custom, out of the box or major is a build.
2wd to 4x4 swaps, custom suspension / engine / transmission ideas, gasser to diesel conversions, changing wheelbase length or major sheetmetal swaps like RC or crew cab bodies on W-250 frames come to mind.
nonrev (08-31-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I am looking forward to checking this rig out at Carlisle in person with a bit of luck.
I hope to get there someday I’d like to meet everybody that’s helped answer my questions and see there trucks
oliver foster (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
Would they be builds that involve serialized pieces of forged aluminum?
Those builds I don’t discuss here.
but if you are interested in custom builds pm me.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 PM

Swapping out the alternator, picking up some fresh floor mats, applying Monster energy drink stickers to the back window, or installing new tires and rims...not a "build".
2wd to 4x4 swaps, custom suspension / engine / transmission ideas, gasser to diesel conversions, changing wheelbase length or major sheetmetal swaps like RC or crew cab bodies on W-250 frames come to mind.
Agreed,
the only thing I would dare to post up would be a full build something with substance. Totally feel that I do a lot of things just don’t ever think they are worthy enough to be in a post then I see someone ask about what I just did “facepalm”

So with regard to engine builds how much documentation do we have here on a full rebuild?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:03 AM

I agree I like to see other people’s custom work and rebuilds
Old 09-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ZAAR

Agreed,
the only thing I would dare to post up would be a full build something with substance. Totally feel that I do a lot of things just don’t ever think they are worthy enough to be in a post then I see someone ask about what I just did “facepalm”

So with regard to engine builds how much documentation do we have here on a full rebuild?

I would not hold back on posting something you think is interesting. That was not what I was getting at. I was wondering why there seem to be less threads on builds as I find them a great read. I also get ideas on ways to solve problems, or improve things on my own trucks.

If you are doing an engine rebuild...post it up!
maybe368 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I would not hold back on posting something you think is interesting. That was not what I was getting at. I was wondering why there seem to be less threads on builds as I find them a great read. I also get ideas on ways to solve problems, or improve things on my own trucks.

If you are doing an engine rebuild...post it up!
I agree, there may be someone that is a great metal fabricator, but not so much as an engine rebuilder. I am the opposite, of that, a pretty good mechanic, not so much a fabricator...Mark
Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
I agree, there may be someone that is a great metal fabricator, but not so much as an engine rebuilder. I am the opposite, of that, a pretty good mechanic, not so much a fabricator...Mark
as I continue to complete my engine build I will make updates periodically, I too am not a master metal fabricator.
but I feel somewhat confident in my mechanical abilities,
what I do and do well is electronics and design. Mainly automation and controls it’s what I do for a profession.

Stay Tuned

maybe368 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I once sold a pristine MB 240D because I didn't know anything about diesels and was worried about not being able to fix it. I had my Cummins for 8 years before I joined this forum, but I had gleaned info from it through those years. I try to post about things that I know about and read/learn about those things that I know little about. Through these years and because of them, I no longer fear the diesel, thanks guys. I really like this forum because there are no "flamers" or "flaming" and it seems that everyone knows your name, sorry Cheers. Also, I may be the only out of the closet liberal here and nobody seems to care, except maybe in the politics forum, where I don't dare to go (much)...Mark
Old 09-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
I once sold a pristine MB 240D because I didn't know anything about diesels and was worried about not being able to fix it. I had my Cummins for 8 years before I joined this forum, but I had gleaned info from it through those years. I try to post about things that I know about and read/learn about those things that I know little about. Through these years and because of them, I no longer fear the diesel, thanks guys. I really like this forum because there are no "flamers" or "flaming" and it seems that everyone knows your name, sorry Cheers. Also, I may be the only out of the closet liberal here and nobody seems to care, except maybe in the politics forum, where I don't dare to go (much)...Mark
mark,

agreed totally, i always wanted wanted to get my hands on a 240d I love those cars and anything OM615 related
what I did practice on is a 83 Volvo diesel that was a bear when I had to replace shims. Way too much Volvo experience here lol.
But I am a European vehicle enthusiast I happened to come across the dodge when I stepped away from my old squarebody tie I originally wanted to remove the Cummins from the w250 I have now then I became too fond of it and I Iridded myself from the bow tie. Now look at me I’m stuck on it.
maybe368 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Work gets in the way of projects, lack of funds too. Someday you might see it here! Nissan diesel Scout to get 6BT from '90 donor. I'll be doing good to get the donor dismantled over the winter. Need to get the Nissan running to sell it. It has evidence of making oil, overfull crankcase that smells like fuel!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
Work gets in the way of projects, lack of funds too. Someday you might see it here! Nissan diesel Scout to get 6BT from '90 donor. I'll be doing good to get the donor dismantled over the winter. Need to get the Nissan running to sell it. It has evidence of making oil, overfull crankcase that smells like fuel!
looks like a solid scout I’ve got a few of them never thought about a Cummins swap

Quick Reply: New 12V builds on DTR?