1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need Wiring Help For Jim Lane's Blower Motor Relay How-To

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Wiring Help For Jim Lane's Blower Motor Relay How-To

I need some help from someone who is good at wiring, and understands Jim Lane's Blower Motor Relay How-To (in The Sticky). I really need to do this mod, but I am terrible at wiring (read: TERRIBLE). I really just figured out what's going on with a relay...its that bad.

It is a great write-up, standard for Jim Lane, and I know it's easy for someone with wiring knowledge to figure out.

Questions (in no certain order, answer any that you can)

1) Why did he install three relays, and the wiring diagram shows only two? Where is K3? What does it do? Do I need it?

2) In the "Shopping List", what is a "Relay Socket for K2"? And what is it used for/connected to?

3) I still can't figure out where all the wires come from that are going into the two relays. That factory diagram might as well be Mandarin Chinese. There are many shapes and patterns that mean absolutely nothing to me. Is there anything that puts it into a simpler image? Here is an example I found for headlight relays that I actually understand.

http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/imag...ingDiagram.jpg

If anybody could take the time and trouble to put it into this format, it would be appreciated more than you know (by myself and many others, I'm sure). If not, then help in any way that you are able. Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the long-winded post.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The third relay shown in jim's write up isn't for the blower. You only need 2 relays. He just happened to mount the third one by the others because he does VERY clean installs.

If memory serves, Jim posted a diagram with the extra circuits/relays penned in and it was attached tithe sticky.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 AM

"Very clean installs" doesn't quite cover it. His level of precision borders on madness.

I'm sure he's got a great job somewhere, but out of selfishness, I wish that he (and a few others here) worked at Dodge...at least while MY truck was being made.

Thanks for the relay info, though.

Anybody else, chime in if you've got anything. You don't have to answer them all.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
No problem.

The "relay socket" is just a plastic socket that holds the wires that the relay plugs into. Makes for cleaner looking wiring as opposed to the loose spade terminals I used.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM

I took your suggestion, and after some digging I found the attachment Jim made later in the thread. Made it all clear. Thanks.