1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need steering box mounting plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
"for 1992 and 1993: 5203 7876"
When I had to replace the one on my 91.5, this is the one Dodge gave me. And no, the holes weren't too big. My steering box had 9/16 bolts and everything lined right up.
Your comment woke me up. Sorry guys; I should have done this earlier:

I phoned my Mopar parts desk and his computer shows that plate # 4333 525 was superseded by part number 5203 7876 -- so they are the identical part (with 9/16" holes). Why the parts manual shows both numbers is a mystery.

The older number 4088 041 almost certainly has 1/2" mounting holes and is the unit j.fonder found on an older Ramcharger.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Easy fix= reverse rotation steering gear.
or mount the stock gear to the frame and run cross-over.

but just to clear things up for those that are searching the web trying to figure out "can I use a steering bracket from any year truck?"(because that was me about 18 months ago) the answer is YES! you may have to drill the holes larger, but you can use it!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
or mount the stock gear to the frame and run cross-over.

but just to clear things up for those that are searching the web trying to figure out "can I use a steering bracket from any year truck?"(because that was me about 18 months ago) the answer is YES! you may have to drill the holes larger, but you can use it!
That's better than the plate but it is still stressing the frame horizontally and should be braced . The RR gear works on the vertical plane where it is much stronger.

yeah that plate has been a PITA for a lot of people. As all the plates and RR parts dry up crossover will be the only fix.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
That's better than the plate but it is still stressing the frame horizontally and should be braced . The RR gear works on the vertical plane where it is much stronger.

yeah that plate has been a PITA for a lot of people. As all the plates and RR parts dry up crossover will be the only fix.
that's when you just give ol' jungle a call from rcc.com and get the frame boxing/steering gear mounting kit. I'll be using that if/when I go to x-over
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
that's when you just give ol' jungle a call from rcc.com and get the frame boxing/steering gear mounting kit. I'll be using that if/when I go to x-over
Yeah you can't go wrong with his parts for sure.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
You are correct of course. Unfortunately, as discovered after multiple attempts by one of our forum members (BiltIt), crossover steering won't work on an unlifted First Gen. And so long as I have some alternative I'd rather not lift my truck. It's too high already .
Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by james1
You are correct of course. Unfortunately, as discovered after multiple attempts by one of our forum members (BiltIt), crossover steering won't work on an unlifted First Gen. And so long as I have some alternative I'd rather not lift my truck. It's too high already .
Look for the 72 to 74? reverse rotation set up They are a little hard to find but they are easy to swap and you don't need a lift for it to work. And if you decide to lift it later that is easy too. that is why I did mine that way.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 2,388 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I am chucking him a replacement plate in the mail.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help!! (93' w250)

Mine snapped today I can only turn right I can't move my wheels left. I'm in high school and don't have money for one of those custom fab ones. Does anyone have a free or cheap extra?! Please let me know thank you very much
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I am unaware of any difference in the plates through the years, but I have never had two of those different year plates pulled and side by side..

The extra bracket you speak of helps with the frame flexing / twisting with the push / pull motion of the steering box.
It doesn't make that plate you cracked any stronger though.

I do have a few extras, PM me if you would like.
Hep

Last edited by Conner Bowey; 04-18-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Need more info
Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Free?

Well, that would be nice, eh?

Where do you live? Boneyard with a 76 - 93 4x4 will have one, regardless of gvw, they all fit.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Conner Bowey
Mine snapped today I can only turn right I can't move my wheels left. I'm in high school and don't have money for one of those custom fab ones. Does anyone have a free or cheap extra?! Please let me know thank you very much

Hep
It probably won't last too long, but you can get a few miles out of the one you have by having it welded. I ran a welded one for a couple of months, before I replaced it. When I get back to the states, I am planning on installing an RR steering box and you can have mine, but that will be in a few weeks, not much help now...Mark Edit: I just thought that I may need it for the RR setup, is the plate lost on the conversion or is it used? (for you RR experienced guys)...
Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
It probably won't last too long, but you can get a few miles out of the one you have by having it welded. I ran a welded one for a couple of months, before I replaced it. When I get back to the states, I am planning on installing an RR steering box and you can have mine, but that will be in a few weeks, not much help now...Mark Edit: I just thought that I may need it for the RR setup, is the plate lost on the conversion or is it used? (for you RR experienced guys)...
I have not done the RR steering, but I know that it does not use the adapter plate....the RR bracket bolts directly to the frame.
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
maybe368 (04-18-2018), mknittle (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Geesh, Mark. Read my dang nabbit thread, will ya????

It has pictures. You will be fine...... I promise!

Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have not done the RR steering, but I know that it does not use the adapter plate....the RR bracket bolts directly to the frame.
It bolts to the cast iron bracket. Not the frame. The bracket (aka cradle) bolts to the frame.

You will follow the same advice I gave Mark, right??????

Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Geesh, Mark. Read my dang nabbit thread, will ya????

It has pictures. You will be fine...... I promise!

I know, I can really be lazy some times ...Mark

Quick Reply: Need steering box mounting plate