Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Need parts (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/need-parts-329678/)

JBG53 01-21-2018 08:31 PM

Need parts

I have a 90 first gen. I decided to repack the front bearings and found that the drivers side spindle had a broken tongue washer and crown which tore up the spindle. I have been able to find a new/used spindle but am not able to find a the tongue washer or the crown. The spindle is 13/16 and everything that I have bee able to locate is too small to work, I have looked at NAPA and Dormans and just about every where else on the internet with no luck. Any ideas??

edwinsmith 01-21-2018 08:53 PM

Oliver Foster may be able to help.

maybe368 01-21-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBG53 (Post 3342689)
I have a 90 first gen. I decided to repack the front bearings and found that the drivers side spindle had a broken tongue washer and crown which tore up the spindle. I have been able to find a new/used spindle but am not able to find a the tongue washer or the crown. The spindle is 13/16 and everything that I have bee able to locate is too small to work, I have looked at NAPA and Dormans and just about every where else on the internet with no luck. Any ideas??

There are a few members here that have various spare parts for your rig. Try member Oliver Foster, he may have what you need. You can PM him or he will probably see this post...Mark You beat me Edwin, DRATTS...

edwinsmith 01-21-2018 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3342691)
There are a few members here that have various spare parts for your rig. Try member Oliver Foster, he may have what you need. You can PM him or he will probably see this post...Mark You beat me Edwin, DRATTS...

Yep. I win! [laugh]

You could also try Deere Country on this forum.

oliver foster 01-22-2018 07:16 AM

Thanks guys, you where fast!
I do not have any front ends taken apart I am looking to sell parts off of right now, just complete units.
Try Deerecountry, and/or posting it in the wanted to buy section.

thrashingcows 01-22-2018 02:53 PM

Have you tried quad4x4...they seem to have some hard to find parts.

mknittle 01-22-2018 03:02 PM

May be Ventures truck parts.

JBG53 03-03-2018 10:34 AM

need parts

Well , I have looked high and low and called the various suggested parts suppliers to no avail.
I have a probably have one of the only 4k (3800 lb stamped on the door) axles that were made in the 10 minute window that the factory was mounting installing these on 1990 2wd 250 diesel pickups.
Time to move on to plan B. Would a 3500 spindle off of a Dodge 3500 van work with the existing wishbones that are on my truck and what would it entail?

MrFusion 03-03-2018 09:18 PM

Probably a long shot but would a machine shop be able to make one for you?

JBG53 03-03-2018 10:12 PM

need parts

I am looking in to having the tongue washer made but as for the crown lock for the nut, I am open to suggestions.

jerseybud 03-04-2018 07:43 AM

Maybe I dont understand what you're looking for, but my parts book shows 6029984 as the washer and 6029985 as the adjusting nut- this one is on ebay. 6029986 as the lock nut -same deal-several NOS companies list it. The washer just recently went ns1 but a couple of NOS companies have it, one in new jersey has been good to me.

JBG53 03-04-2018 09:45 AM

Need Parts

I really do appreciate your help. I have ordered and test fit the same parts that you found. Believe it or not, they are too small. It seems that the particular axle on my truck is one of only a handful of actual 4 k front ends. The spindle ends are 13/16 in diameter which means the tongue washer and nut are slightly larger. The later models which only go up to 3500 lbs have much smaller bearings, spindle (3/4) end washers and nuts. I came across a thread in which a fellow starting a restoration felt that his truck had been in a accident because one spindle was different than the other. I think that the previous owner may have had the same problem as me and changing out the knuckle was an option that he found after his struggles to find the same parts. I am looking in to having a tongue washer cut with a water jet but the problem with the nut lock still remains since that is a stamped part. Hence my question about changing out the knuckle. Believe it or not, I can buy the bearings all day long at NAPA.

jerseybud 03-04-2018 10:07 AM

Well that sucks. Wondering if you go back to the 70s parts manual, you may find a number there when they made "d400" trucks. My 88-93 manuals just show those numbers above

maybe368 03-04-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JBG53 (Post 3344975)
I really do appreciate your help. I have ordered and test fit the same parts that you found. Believe it or not, they are too small. It seems that the particular axle on my truck is one of only a handful of actual 4 k front ends. The spindle ends are 13/16 in diameter which means the tongue washer and nut are slightly larger. The later models which only go up to 3500 lbs have much smaller bearings, spindle (3/4) end washers and nuts. I came across a thread in which a fellow starting a restoration felt that his truck had been in a accident because one spindle was different than the other. I think that the previous owner may have had the same problem as me and changing out the knuckle was an option that he found after his struggles to find the same parts. I am looking in to having a tongue washer cut with a water jet but the problem with the nut lock still remains since that is a stamped part. Hence my question about changing out the knuckle. Believe it or not, I can buy the bearings all day long at NAPA.

I believe that all of the cummins equipped trucks had 4000 lb front suspensions, but that may be only for the 4x4 rigs. Is your truck a 4x4? Please fill in your signature so that we know what we are talking about..Mark

Blue Goose 03-04-2018 12:37 PM

since he mentions using a van spindle I's hafta say its a D series