Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Need a better filter than K&N (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/need-better-filter-than-k-n-45656/)

Flake 06-07-2004 10:09 AM

Need a better filter than K&N

I found out first hand that my open element with pre cleaner, properly(heavily)oiled K&N does not filter out fine dust. Are the AFE filters better? Any other recomendations, how about dealers. Thanks Dave K.

apache 06-07-2004 03:28 PM

Thats what I read and hear, AFE is better. Personally I dont care for the brand your using now, for that reason I stick with paper.

wannadiesel 06-07-2004 08:25 PM

Get a BHAF, about $50 for a paper element bigger than the whole stock airbox. DTR member Bumpytruck has a template for the mount plate posted on his photo gallery, part #'s for different brands of BHAF are in the tech facts section of the web site.

Flake 06-07-2004 10:16 PM

I thought about the BHAF, but sometimes I get into dusty conditions and don't really want to pop for a new filter every couple of months. Just want to know if the AFE will filter like its supposed to or if the BHAF is going to be my only option.:confused:

Flake 06-08-2004 07:35 PM

I'm thinking the AFE isn't going to filter enough better to chance it. You guys running BHAF's how often do you have to replace yours, and how dusty are the conditions you drive in? Thanks Dave.

wannadiesel 06-09-2004 04:31 PM

I think that's the right choice. Why not get a filter minder so you know when it's time for a change?

Commatoze 06-10-2004 06:27 AM

If you get the Outerwears sock that fits over the filter, you'll get many thousands of miles more out of it.

Flake 06-10-2004 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Commatoze
If you get the Outerwears sock that fits over the filter, you'll get many thousands of miles more out of it.
It has the K&N precharger on it already, didn't even get a thousand miles out of the filter.:(

dana70 06-10-2004 03:42 PM

BHAF has served me well, I took "Wannadiesel's" advice and for $50 for the filter plus another $20 for 2 ea. 4" rubber elbows and a 4" piece of leftover exhaust pipe and 5 ea. hose clamps. I made a pretty respectable housing out of a 6 gallon plastic bucket and a plastic floor protector. Worth every penny too, lowered my EGTs and gave me more scoot pulling out, also a litter better milage when I am not putting my foot down. Take my advice and take "Wannadiesel's" advice. :D

Flake 06-10-2004 05:39 PM

Well I bought an aFe Proguard 7 universal cone filter today, you can bet I'll be keeping a close eye on it and report back any findings, good or bad. Dave K.

Monty 06-10-2004 11:33 PM

Does anyone have the CFM specs on the BHAF, K&N, and the AFE Cone type? I used to have them but I cant seem to find them.