1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

need another first gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need another first gen

Hey guys,I bought a 93 d350 daully a few months ago and it got wrecked and is totaled.

I want another,naturally.Im concidering maybe looking for a w350 this time.But Im concerend about ride quality.Are the 4wd's rougher riding than the 2wd's? seesm like the leafs spring front wouldnt ride nearly as nice as my old d350's coil front suspesion.

another question: I fouind a couple nice ones but they have the automatic trannys.I would prefer the 5 speed.Do the 1 st gens have issues with the auto trannys holding up? does it hurt the mpg that much compared to the 5 speed?

appreciate youre time in helping me make a decision on what to look for.Ill use the truck mainly for pulling my 4x4 on a 30' goosneck trailer,and some town driving.

thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the W will ride much worse than the D. Not sure how much new/aftermarket springs help, but SMKHZRD's w-250 rode like crap compared to my d-250. The auto is ok for a stock truck, but if you tow a lot the 5 speed is better. I'd say there is 1-2 MPG's to be had with a 5 speed. Some guys with auto's do get excellent mileage though. Kinda depends on the truck and mostly driving style. It can be a long wait but I say wait till you find what you really want.

Aaron
Old 08-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Good luck in finding a decent W350. I been looking for 6 months and the ones that I have found are either rusting out, high mileage, way overpriced or all three. Looking at M880 from Alpha Heaven as I really don't need nor want a diesel for this application, primarily farm use.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 PM

After months of searching and looking at alot of junk! I found another 93 d350 5 speed dually.

208,000 miles on it.She needs a lot of cleaning and just some good ol tlc.I think it rattles a lil more than my other one that got wrecked I could have swore I saw a hint of whitish smoke come out the pipes when I stomped on it.Is theis that KSB switch gone bad...im a newb on these CTD's i may be asking alot of question here soon hehe

some pics of her.
pass. side is pretty nice
Name:  zukbuild597.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  118.1 KB
drivers side has some damage.
Name:  zukbuild596.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  92.7 KB
I got a whole walk off front clip for one of these trucks so i got everything I need to make her strait!
front fender is the worst of it.
Name:  zukbuild601.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  77.5 KB
interior just needs alot of cleaning..pretty nice inside...no rust on the rockers or floor board..nice!
Name:  zukbuild598.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  103.3 KB
engine...more cleaning
Name:  zukbuild600.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  124.0 KB

The gal was asking 5 k for it...I found the alt. dont work and the one headlight bucket is broke,so I offered her 4k for it and she said ok! shes going to have a long happy life of pulling trailers now!

Ill be pulling my new frito trailer with her.Im converting the frito trailer to a poor mans toy hauler.

the trailer
Name:  zukibild183.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  89.1 KB
Name:  zukibild186.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  76.6 KB
and hauling my new zuk Ive been building for the last 2 years...its al;most done!
Name:  zukbuild595.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  95.0 KB

Needless to say Im stoked!!

Last edited by rockmike; 09-17-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more pics
Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice!!

That's the best of the best tow right right here, a club cab D350 5 speed with the most comfortable bucket seats ever made !!

What rear does it have? 3.54 or 4.10?

Looks like a solid truck. Gonna part the other one out or what?

Oh and it looks like by the picture the front end could use alignment? Not a bad deal at all though for 4k.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Nice!!

That's the best of the best tow right right here, a club cab D350 5 speed with the most comfortable bucket seats ever made !!

They sure are! the Blue trucks seats where pretty worn,these seats are very comfy.

What rear does it have? 3.54 or 4.10?

not sure Im going to pull it into the shop Sunday and check some things out.

Looks like a solid truck. Gonna part the other one out or what?

Yup I think so...Ive got a couple locals that want stuff off it.

Oh and it looks like by the picture the front end could use alignment? Not a bad deal at all though for 4k.
Drives real nice,tires seem to be wearing evan...Ill keep an eye on that.

Thanks!!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Muted User

That is almost identical to my 93 when I bought it. Same exterior and interior paint color. Heck the only difference is that mine has the bench seat and not the buckets like yours has. BTW if you want a bench I'd love to trade ya.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Check for supply side fuel leaks on the white smoke/knocking problem.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Very nice rig you picked up there. But make sure you change the fluid and get an extra quart of fluid in that Getrag 5 speed ASAP. Then you won't have to worry so much about cooking it while pulling.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Hey Mike. I was checking in with you here. I've been following your thread over on ZK's. I've always had a soft spoit in my heart for 1st Gens..........
Old 09-18-2010, 01:10 AM

i like the toy hauler been using one for the past 11 years and man they work great still havent got around to paint it though. nice truck also gotta love a d350 mines in the center here.
Attached Thumbnails need another first gen-dscf6719.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Thannks guys.You guys that have this same paint sceme do you kow what the primary paint code is? my sticker is worn cant make it out Looks like the secondary color code is qv4 primary maybe ?v8 Idunno cant any one help me out with that.Was just hoping I could get some of that same paint and fix the driver front fender and paint it.

Wannadeisel Im getting alot of air in the line? is that the issue? so check fuel line going into the mech. pump on the bottom side of engine? and supply line to the inj. pump?

That same code stickers says rear end ration 3.5 dana 70 axle **** those seam like tall gears...is that a common gear ratio?

Thanks for the reply...hoping to do alot of learning about these 1st gen cummins...very cool rigs, the torque is insane!!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ahow
i like the toy hauler been using one for the past 11 years and man they work great still havent got around to paint it though. nice truck also gotta love a d350 mines in the center here.
righton another Frito trailer.ya im pretty excited about that trailer i bought it right! 3k for the trailer...nice.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Hey Mike. I was checking in with you here. I've been following your thread over on ZK's. I've always had a soft spoit in my heart for 1st Gens..........
Cool man,good to run into ya over here.I really like the looks of the 1st gens when there all dolled up...plus the simplicity of the power plant...just what a newb like me needs...somthi8ng failry simple to work on.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 AM

The blue one reminds me of my 91.5 I have stored out in the desert.

Quick Reply: need another first gen