1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My new 32x48 1st Gen Storage Facility.... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
We had the same problem with sealer on my friends shop floor brake clean and gas eat it off. When I Built my shop I left it uncoated
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (10-14-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
My shop is uncoated concrete. I have been pretty happy with it.
thrashingcows (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I had not thought of welding.....Doooh!
Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 AM

Been a while since an update.....

I slowly worked on the electrical over the winter....and even then I had to wait for warmer days...-10*C of warmer to be able to work on anything out there. Shop has 23 outlets inside the shop, 5 separate 20Amp circuits and along any wall every other outlet is on a different circuit. I have 5 outlets outside, 2 on the front and rear, and one on the back side away from the house. Lighting is 12 - 8' florescent lights, so 3 runs of 4 lights, each on it's own switch. Also have a fan outlet in the middle of the shop for a 6' fan to move air, and a 240V twist and lock ceiling plug for the 2 post hoist. There is also 2- 240V welder outlets on each end of the shop by the doors. Exterior lights on each side of the front and rear doors, and one by the man door.

I have since finished the electrical and had my inspections, just the final inspection once the shop is finished and all outlets and lighting etc are in place.

Couple electrical pics....Fuse panel and wiring...inspector loved my neat wiring runs and attention to detail.

My new 32x48 1st Gen Storage Facility.... ;)-zja171bh.jpg

Name:  9QBhXNch.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  169.5 KB
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
Blue Goose (05-17-2019), NJTman (10-14-2019), torquefan (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 AM

I have since started working on get things ready for the siding. Black Tin J-trim around doors and windows to match the house.

Name:  3l0nCeQh.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  123.1 KB

Haven't got much more done since hurting my elbow at work....lots of sitting around and being cheesed I can't be out there working on the shop. Did pick up all the soffit, trim last week and the rest of the siding today, so everything is here, just need to get better enough to be able to start putting it up.

My new 32x48 1st Gen Storage Facility.... ;)-lulbgath.jpg

My new 32x48 1st Gen Storage Facility.... ;)-0obw2yvh.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
Blue Goose (05-17-2019), edwinsmith (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Your shop is going to be awsome.
Are T-8 fixtures required in Canada?

Do you have any problems lighting them in cold weather?

How about outside lighting LED's
Is this a sub panel or is there a meter somewhere.

What are you using for heat?

Have you thought about an exhaust extraction system so you can run engines with the doors closed?
Jim
thrashingcows (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I worked as a furnace installer for a year once. One time I saw wiring in a breaker box neater than yours...the homeowner was an electrician. Sure makes it easier to trace a wire.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Nice looking work the Thrashing. You are going to be loving working in that shop.
Happy belated birthday there too old boy!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks awesome Brian! You should have seen my wiring haha. Not quite as neat.

I got a guy to put on my inside and outside steel so I'm basically wrapped up. I knew with the kids etc I would never get it done and he was very fair with his price and super nice to work with if you want some help. He lives across the river from you. That said to I think to Olivers point, I did decide after to add an exhaust and its maybe too little too late. Princess auto sells fairly well made wall exhausts located close to the tarps and fan belts on the side wall. I just put one close to where I'll be welding to help exhaust a little of the fumes but wish I could have done it before the sheeting was on. I would have done a 24'' fan. The louvers are ok but will need an outside box over top for winter. I haven't touched the truck but now that I'm almost done the shop I hope to open her up! Sorry to hear about your arm!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Your shop is going to be awsome.
Are T-8 fixtures required in Canada?

Do you have any problems lighting them in cold weather?

How about outside lighting LED's
Is this a sub panel or is there a meter somewhere.

What are you using for heat?

Have you thought about an exhaust extraction system so you can run engines with the doors closed?
Jim
Hey Jim....

No T-8's aren't required, but they were the cheapest and easiest to use right now, I will most likely slowly upgrade to LED bulbs in them as budget allows.

My garage has T-4's and they light up fine in sub zero temps. My outdoor lights on the house are LED's and they light up fine in the cold as well.

That is a 100 amp Sub panel off the house service. Ran about 130' of hefty Tech cable from the house to the shop.

My new 32x48 1st Gen Storage Facility.... ;)-wmlcxrah.jpg

Heat is going to be a wood burning stove.

I did consider an exhaust fan system, but decided against it. I have the big doors on either end of the shop and if I really need to clear the air I can just open the doors for a couple minutes.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict
Looks awesome Brian! You should have seen my wiring haha. Not quite as neat.

I got a guy to put on my inside and outside steel so I'm basically wrapped up. I knew with the kids etc I would never get it done and he was very fair with his price and super nice to work with if you want some help. He lives across the river from you. That said to I think to Olivers point, I did decide after to add an exhaust and its maybe too little too late. Princess auto sells fairly well made wall exhausts located close to the tarps and fan belts on the side wall. I just put one close to where I'll be welding to help exhaust a little of the fumes but wish I could have done it before the sheeting was on. I would have done a 24'' fan. The louvers are ok but will need an outside box over top for winter. I haven't touched the truck but now that I'm almost done the shop I hope to open her up! Sorry to hear about your arm!
Hey Connor...been thinking about you and your shop and old whitey, glad you got things pretty much finished up, I hope to have it sided, fireplace in and maybe insulated with poly before winter.

If you need a "foreman" to over see your work on the truck just let me know....might not be able to help much, but I can tell you when your doing something wrong.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:14 PM

That's awesome! I'm sure just like me you wish you had it closer, or at least some heat for February! Rough month!

Thanks very much! I'll at the very least have some question. I might just drive it for the summer and get things rolling in the fall. I've decided if I'm going to keep it I need to add some sort of semi locking diff in the rear as I've already been very stuck 4 or 5 times this year.

I just need to finish laminant in the back room for wifey and do the trim/bathroom. Hopefully be done mid month next month, and then I will starting bringing the tools, and then the truck in. I'm not allowing myself to get distracted or out of order on this go as I know I'll never finish the back room if I bring in.

You learn a lot when you wire up a shop, and although I stuck with my original plans I wish I'd changed/added a few things. I had a friend help as I was pretty lost! Have you been shopping for lifts at all? I won't have one but wish i did! That's going to be awesome!

Off topic, but how did the ram charger hold up this winter?.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:49 AM

Yeah one project at a time.....I can get easily distracted if I start doing the things I "want" to do, and not what "needs" to be done. I can't think of anything else i need in the shop electrical wise, tried to think and plan for as much as I could....what did you think of??

I already bought my 2 post hoist even before I started building the shop....yeah I know the cart before the horse. I bought one of those 10K lbs units that were being sold through the Richie Bros auctions. I may not get it installed until next year, but at least I can move inside before winter rolls around again....I've been oiling it up every year and keeping it well covered and out of the elements as much as possible.

Ol' Sno-Ball did great again this winter.....it's a trooper that's for sure, only issue I had with it was I got too close to the edge of the driveway while plowing and it slid into a tree and crunched the drivers fender a bit....
Old 05-18-2019, 02:31 AM

Yea no doubt! I wish I added conduit for underground electrical and a vaccume line to a couple places that I'll have a table/table saw etc... I also need to cut in to a single outdoor light wire in the ceiling and add a fan lead and a lead for an electric hoist. I wish I'd made a couple extra 15a services to the ceiling or put some conduit but it's not a big deal.

It's hard not to rush at times when we get as much snow as we did! And besides if you find some free or cheap panels patches can have a friend! I definitely ran over countless items with the snowblower
Old 05-18-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Coffeeaddict, Here is a lift similar to what my dad got since he didnt have enough room for a traditional two post.
https://www.eagleequip.com/product/M...AaAj82EALw_wcB
These trucks are probably pushing the factor of safety on the lift ( I haven't put my truck on) but id think it'd be fine to take it high enough to pull a tire etc.Just a convienent option for smaller shops.

Quick Reply: My new 32x48 1st Gen Storage Facility.... ;)