1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stomp
644hp on fuel only was the highest I got and I backed it up with a 642.

Stomp

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 4
Well that's not bad at all because Sands got just under 500hp on fuel only so congrats to you. You only let him win half the battle
Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Not to mention old (fashioned) drivers......Mark
Nothing wrong with being old fashioned, things were built right back then. As far as I'm concerned if you're older your smarter/more wise
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Pyped
Nothing wrong with being old fashioned, things were built right back then. As far as I'm concerned if you're older your smarter/more wise
Great attitude for a youngun'. We used to have a saying on the fire department that went: You can have 20 years of experience or you can have a year of experience 20 times. It all depends on how you approach life. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I have only bought 1 new car in my life and I lost that in the divorce. The newest thing I have now is my 95 beater range rover that I got for 3k. My house was built in 1925 (old for here), so i am right with you. My GF wants me to buy a new Cummins and I tell her I don't want to throw my money in the trash (sorry 4th geners ). Although IF I did buy a new vehicle, it would be a Cummins...Mark
Old 09-03-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Welcome and nice truck, one word of advice....when doing mods to your truck, know when to say ( you know what it runs good enough ) right Stomp

nice trucks that haven't been bombed to death are hard to find.......just sayin.

stacks are personal preference, so let the haters hatin roll off your back, I (used) to have them...

(NO BLOWING SMOKE IN TOWN OR ON POEPLE) ......that is all.

lots of men hear that know what there talkin about, and they will help you.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Well that's not bad at all because Sands got just under 500hp on fuel only so congrats to you. You only let him win half the battle
Don't get wrapped-up in the "John Force runs this, so I gotta run this" line of thinking when it come to diesel performance.
- You don't have to run a 14mm H/R and 17xdoubleought injectors to get close to 500hp to the ground. My mess has put 489hp to the ground using a 12mm IP that had a quarter million miles on it (#2 diesel and a little W/M)(the W/M added NO hp). That is backed-up with a 12.67et (1/4th mile) @ 6400lbs with a NON lock-up transmission.

IMO, you'd do well to decide what is a reasonable power goal and build toward that (spend you money wisely . . . . once ).

I've just reviewed this thread, and perhaps I missed it: You haven't said what you plan on doing with your truck. Is this a daily-driver? Are you working the truck as in pulling a load of horses through the mountains? Are you gonna drag-race or pull a sled with it? Is this truck gonna be a weekday-worker and a weekend-warrior? All this matters and pending your plan of use, can have a profound impact on the overall engine build.

Just because an engine can put a big hp number down on a dyno does not mean it's gonna do the same thing all day and survive.

And then there's the thing with getting the power to the ground . . . reliably.

What'cha gonna do fella?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
Don't get wrapped-up in the "John Force runs this, so I gotta run this" line of thinking when it come to diesel performance.
- You don't have to run a 14mm H/R and 17xdoubleought injectors to get close to 500hp to the ground. My mess has put 489hp to the ground using a 12mm IP that had a quarter million miles on it (#2 diesel and a little W/M)(the W/M added NO hp). That is backed-up with a 12.67et (1/4th mile) @ 6400lbs with a NON lock-up transmission.

IMO, you'd do well to decide what is a reasonable power goal and build toward that (spend you money wisely . . . . once ).

I've just reviewed this thread, and perhaps I missed it: You haven't said what you plan on doing with your truck. Is this a daily-driver? Are you working the truck as in pulling a load of horses through the mountains? Are you gonna drag-race or pull a sled with it? Is this truck gonna be a weekday-worker and a weekend-warrior? All this matters and pending your plan of use, can have a profound impact on the overall engine build.

Just because an engine can put a big hp number down on a dyno does not mean it's gonna do the same thing all day and survive.

And then there's the thing with getting the power to the ground . . . reliably.

What'cha gonna do fella?
Good advice, and good point also. What I'm planning on doing with this truck at this point in time is to drive it and enjoy it for the vehicle that it is Somewhere down the line (and I'm not 100% sure yet) I'm thinking of possibly making it into somewhat of a sleeper. I think I'll start out small and see if I can get it to have the same hp as my car (2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) which was 250. I think I might get the Diamond Eye kit with or without the muffler (Not sure on that yet either because I haven't heard trucks with them, also my brother kept the piece of the bed he cut out for the stack.) I'm sure I will use it for everything you said EXCEPT DRAG RACING. I would like to keep my vehicle running for a long time because I wouldn't want to drive anything else.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Great attitude for a youngun'. We used to have a saying on the fire department that went: You can have 20 years of experience or you can have a year of experience 20 times. It all depends on how you approach life. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I have only bought 1 new car in my life and I lost that in the divorce. The newest thing I have now is my 95 beater range rover that I got for 3k. My house was built in 1925 (old for here), so i am right with you. My GF wants me to buy a new Cummins and I tell her I don't want to throw my money in the trash (sorry 4th geners ). Although IF I did buy a new vehicle, it would be a Cummins...Mark
Thanks Mark, it's really nice hearing that some of the older generations still believe in some of the younger ones. I agree about the new vehicle as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that I know who you are Stomp, you used to have the highest horsepower VE pumped cummins before Jason Sands (JQMile) Started his project "Rust Bucket" right?
HAHAHAHA....you're all right kid. And, as for parts and labor Mr.Stomper, a good chunk of money went to Harvey Grant for all his old Ramcharger parts, some horse trading for the transmission, and I bought the 14mm head myself. So there.

I haven't done much of note either lately, I think it's safe to say both STOMP's truck and mine are covered by a fine layer of dust. Mine isn't exactly the most drivable thing in the world right now.

Either way I digress. Must have been huffing too much nitrous.

Welcome aboard!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JQmile
HAHAHAHA....you're all right kid. And, as for parts and labor Mr.Stomper, a good chunk of money went to Harvey Grant for all his old Ramcharger parts, some horse trading for the transmission, and I bought the 14mm head myself. So there.

I haven't done much of note either lately, I think it's safe to say both STOMP's truck and mine are covered by a fine layer of dust. Mine isn't exactly the most drivable thing in the world right now.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks Jason, good to meet someone with the same interests and the same name. Look forward to reading your next article in DPM, keep up the good work. Also, did you get the diamond eye kit with or without the muffler? One last thing, did you ever reach your 100psi goal with that supercharger?Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 AM

I think I'll start out small and see if I can get it to have the same hp as my car (2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) which was 250.
That should be easy. My 89 made 264rwhp with just DDP4+ injectors, and through the stock 727. Made 301rwhp with a converter, intake, exhaust, and 60mm compressor upgrade. At that point I wish I would have listened to everyone else and checked my timing (it was only at 10 deg) but oh well, live and learn. You'll be in for a fun ride.

Thanks Jason, good to meet someone with the same interests and the same name. Look forward to reading your next article in DPM, keep up the good work. Also, did you get the diamond eye kit with or without the muffler? One last thing, did you ever reach your 100psi goal with that supercharger?Thanks in advance.
I think it had a muffler, but not 100% sure. The blower is more of a 2014 project....
Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM

I think it had a muffler, but not 100% sure. The blower is more of a 2014 project....
Look forward to reading about it in DPM and possibly here on DTR. Keep up the good work by the way, I usually flip to your article in the magazine first.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Welcome aboard!
No one believes you magazine boy!

Your right about the dust though. I think mine is actually rotting away.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM

That picture actually makes me sad....even though I got ya on the dyno, your truck is still a 1st gen legend! What's the eta on a new engine?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM

That picture actually makes me sad....even though I got ya on the dyno, your truck is still a 1st gen legend! What's the eta on a new engine?
Thanks Jason you know I have just been ribbing you right?

The motor is done and has been installed for months now. I drove it to work for a few days while we put twins on my 06 and it kept leaking water and I couldn't figure out why or where. Well I found it and the down side is the head is junk. Maybe in the next couple of months I will have it back on the road.

Stomp

Old 09-06-2013, 07:30 PM

Beautiful truck Stomp, even under all the dust. I like the way our trucks look with heavy duty bumpers.

Quick Reply: My Introduction