Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   My First Truck Pull (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/my-first-truck-pull-243718/)

PADuallyBoy 05-25-2009 09:22 PM

My First Truck Pull

So I'll probably be running in the Kempton Fair's truck pulls on June 19th, in the street legal diesel 4x4. Since then I've been preparing myself. I got new gauges to update the old ones, rebuilt my turbo, fixed my tranny cooler fans, replaced front universals on the axel and updated the sound system with a CD player and 6 new speakers.:) Anyway, is there anything else or any advise I can maybe get that would help me out, I'm mostly gonna keep my eye's plastered to the pyro and trans temp. I also printed out from the sticky paper work on how to kick some more power out of my pump.

Alwaysworking 05-25-2009 09:31 PM

the sound system wont help in the pull, make sure its off or you'll get disquailified.

pulltilbroke 05-25-2009 09:37 PM

1st off dont even look at your pyro, It'll probably scare ya.

Do you have a good converter yet? if not get one. Build or buy a set of traction bars if the rules will allow

92smokin blacky 05-25-2009 10:40 PM

get a 366 spring, and crank your pump up about as far as you can go. put the full power screw in as far as you dare to, but don't hit runaway, I would put your smoke screw and afc starwheel down as far as you can go with them too. Bend your pedal or put some spacers behind it so you can full travel, you may have to turn your high idle screw up too to get more travel, and maybe even put your throttle lever in the inside hole, I have done all this and it helps. And turn your timing up as far as you can get it, just for the pull. Yeah I bet your pyro will scare ya, it may be best just to look straight, keep the pedal to the metal and hope nothin blows up or breaks.

archer39 05-26-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by pulltilbroke (Post 2488550)
1st off dont even look at your pyro, It'll probably scare ya.

Do you have a good converter yet? if not get one. Build or buy a set of traction bars if the rules will allow

x2, that short of distance will not burn holes though anything. if you still have the stock converter you will not get to far :(

Crossy's son 05-26-2009 02:15 PM

Don't look at your gauges.

Everyones right, Stock torque converter is reallly gonna hold you back... call Dave Goerend :D

PADuallyBoy 05-26-2009 03:09 PM

Okay, so bag the gauges and when I said about the radio I was just messing around, I just got tired of the staticy radio and went and got a CD player and new speakers. The trans is a rebuild and I knew that it would be pretty much be holding me up. One question, if the trans fails, I know it slips because it does embarassing burnouts would that be a bad torque converter or can it be a number of things. I cannot find the ID plate all I can find is a remanufacture plate. So I wouldn't know what model it is to get another conveter. It's a 3 speed with overdrive, 4x4, and thanks for the help so far guys. I know it's gonna help me out a lot!

dodgethis91cmns 05-26-2009 05:43 PM

pretty much all converters for these trucks are the same. a 518 and a 727 have interchangeable converters. they are 23 spline non lock up

Crossy's son 05-26-2009 06:29 PM

yea not being able to light the tires (good) is the crappy converter stalling at a way too high RPM and slipping.

You do have gauges though? correct?

PADuallyBoy 05-27-2009 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son (Post 2489223)
yea not being able to light the tires (good) is the crappy converter stalling at a way too high RPM and slipping.

You do have gauges though? correct?

Yeah, brand new ones, 1.6k pyro, 60psi boost and 250* trans temp.

Crossy's son 05-27-2009 02:24 PM

ok cool.

just save your money for some trans upgrades.