1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

move up to later model?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
move up to later model?

I'm seriously considering switching from my 1st gen that I bought new in 91, to something newer. As far as I'm concerned, it's good for another 18 years, but the boss-lady says it's "old". After looking at prices of new trucks, I realized I've bought my last new one. Also, the electronics scare me. I get nervous about owning something expensive that isn't repairable. I can probably afford something in the late 90's to early (maybe even mid-)00's.

My question is: is there a site (possibly even on this one) that summarizes the year-to-year changes, what features to look for, and which ones to avoid? If not, do any of you have experiences to share? How much newer can I go without getting into too much non-repairable electronics, or was my 91 already the last mechanical one?

My present truck is a 2-wd 5 speed. I'd like to stay with the std trans (although they're harder to find), but I'm wonderig about 4-wd. Did any of the years use a 4-wd system that's bad news? Also, how much of a mileage penalty can I expect by going to 4-wd?

I'm also considering a club-cab. Is there any downside apart from having an extra 2 feet of truck to park? I assume the loss in mileage because of the extra weight would be too small to measure.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

Tell the boss-lady she's older than it is, and you still keep her around.

You can see 22-25mpg with your current set up. Dont expect much over 20-21 with a club cab 4x4. The weight and added height make it a real drag, literally, from an aerodynamic standpoint.

The 2ndGens had vacuum actuated hubs or some garbage like that.

The NV4500 isnt as stout as the Getrag (flame suit donned). Chain driven t-cases in 2ndGens, vs gear driven 1stGen.

Like you said, more electronics. The newer trucks just dont feel as solid as the 1stGens.

The 2nsGens are easier to get more power from with stock injectors.

Dana80 rear in manual trannies.

Make your wife the following offer- you'll get a newer truck if she'll foot the repair bills, due to stuff being too crammed under the hood, electronics that require a scanner, etc- basically you cant work on it. Whether that is true isnt the point- you are bargaining here. If the truck gets you from point A to B, and sips the fuel (standards will vary- the point is if you're happy with it), and you like it, it may be time for a new wife instead (maybe an 18 year old model).
Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Tell the boss-lady she's older than it is, and you still keep her around.

You beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!

My neighbor had a truck that is like new, but 25 years old. I told him to tell that to his wifey. We both decided NOT to tell her that.......
Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM

I second you 92roughstock.. I have had a second gen and now have third gen as the sig saz. I would be very careful when buying sec gen truck, VP 44 had some nasty issues I personally experienced that. The 2006 has the 5.9 in it and it has Computer issues. Oh and the dealer is trying to get us to move to a new truck ,took me for a test drive and the truck stalled COMPUTER FAILED he kept asking me other than the computer did i like the truck???? yep Told him I had bought a 1992 He said WHY???? Cuz when the computer fails i can fix it
Granted these old Critters have some nasty quicks too
Counting the days
Old 06-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you HAVE to move into a newer truck, you don't want one newer than '98 if you want a mechanical engine.

If she wants newer than that, skip to '03 and up.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
If you HAVE to move into a newer truck, you don't want one newer than '98 if you want a mechanical engine.

If she wants newer than that, skip to '03 and up.

Try to skip the vp44 pump 24valves. i agree with dave. there horrible. only good thing about those trucks is the 6 speed and dana 80. second gen 12valve is a very mechanical engine,there is not tooo many electronics but the auto tranny in 94 and 95 wasnt so good when it was stock.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
second gens are nice, mechanincally usally sounds. the trans werent the strongest but try to find one with an already stout trans and ur golden.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 PM

I have a 1999 24 valve and i will not be buying another newer one any time soon. I have had to replace the lift pump, vp44 injection pump and the APPS so far. Haven't had any engine problems with my 1993, only thing the 99 has over the 93 is it steers sharper, rides smoother. If i was to buy a newer one it would be a 94-98 12 valve.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 PM

I've had two 93 W350's. They were good trucks, but rode and handled terrible. Had a 99 3500 and liked the truck better, but hated the VP44. Yesterday I just bough a 96' 2500 CC 4x4 5 speed with low miles and no rust. I think I'm going to like it. My current 93 W350 CC 4x4 is getting pretty rusty, and has nicled and dimed me to death in the 4 years I've owned it. <ad removed>
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 AM

If you do decide on a 24V eng 99-02. MAKE SURE THAT IT HAS HAD THE LIFT PUMP CONVERSION ( moving the electric fuel pump from, on the eng block, too the the fuel tank)
This is a much longer lasting trouble free pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-05 should also be checked for this updated version!
2nt, replace your fuel filter every other oil change and life will be much better for you.

I would follow Daves(wannadiesel) Recommendations first.

I have pulled fuel filter out of first gen truck that had ingested so much water that the metal part of the filter was rusted.

You will be shut down in the middle of the road with a fraction of that, on a newer ones...and a big bill$$$$$$ instore.....including the common rail version(03 and up)
I have no sugestion on how to make the APP sensor last any longer..........Other then go price one before it goes out. So they don't have to gather you up of the floor when it does go out and you need a new on.

Flash
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM

what exactly does she not like about the old beast? if she doesn't like the interior than update it with new seats, new carpet, headliner,etc.... or exterior try new paint, running boards, hood, etc... would be cheaper than buying a newer truck and getting into crap you'll have more problems with. I know i bought my truck so that i could have something that if all hell brook lose i could repair it with out having to go get a phd in electronics. I know our trucks have their problems but the newer ones imo are worse.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM

Just one note the 1998 1/2 to 2002 be careful of a cracked block to correct me if i am wrong # 63 casting .one of the few thing i have ever really seen cummins them self having problems (and VP 44 pump)with other than the dodge add on parts the motor will run fine till you load it up and the it weeps antifreeze keep your eyes open its on the web site some were
Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
roxxx, it is the "53" block and and most common in the 98.5-99 trucks.

In my 93 Club Cab, 4x4, 5spd with 4.10 gearing, I got 20 mpg on the highway with a turned up pump and straight piped exhaust. Nothing else was done. OH! And no tailgate. This was with the 235/85/R16 tires (stock size) and the pressure was at 80psi all the way around (DO NOT GO THERE WITH ME ON THE REAR PRESSURE! BIG BEEF OF MINE WITH WALMART). Around town with having fun I got 16-18mpg. I have coaxed it into 20mpg around town. Also the highway average MPH was 70.

Really for ride, put in 2nd or 3rd Gen seats, air bag the rear at least.

For MPG, get the 5spd and get 3.07 gears in the rear end, front end also if you go 4x4.

My thing with the 4x4 is it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Just my $.02

Jon
Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I originally traded my 91 in on a newer model as well, I have regretted it ever since. Newer isnt always better. I have since owned many Cummins powered trucks. Included in that list was a 98.5 24 valve and an 02 24 valve. I have since GONE BACK to the earlier years as they are the better built trucks IMO. If you do have to go newer, nothing newer than a 98 and be sure to GET A 12 VALVE ! Nothing better IMO !
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM

I'm with Darkale69 I had a 02 and I sold it and bought a 4x4 '90 so if things go the way they are going I have at least a chance to repair it. It did take some freshening up for boss-lady to buy off on it!! Mostly airconditioner work. (silly)

Quick Reply: move up to later model?