Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Melted Fan Shroud - Damaged Mess - Thoughts? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/melted-fan-shroud-damaged-mess-thoughts-319793/)

GreatWhiteNorth 10-29-2014 06:35 PM

Melted Fan Shroud - Damaged Mess - Thoughts?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello again,

I dug a little deeper into the problem that frightens me the most on my old 91 Dodge... the Melted-broken-mangled fan and hole into cab!
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/...ps89fc6204.jpg

Attachment 51566

Attachment 51567

What am I dealing with here? Is that a replaceable section on the firewall?

How the technicians driving it didn't think to mention to the boss that something didn't sound right in the truck when the down pipe fell off is beyond me. That must have been... loud...

Ahhh!

Ill be removing the dash this weekend to access the inside of the firewall.

thrashingcows 10-29-2014 07:08 PM

:shocked2:....Holy crap man!!!

That is one melted and toasted heater box! What you are looking at is the HVAC box that has melted. You will need to replace the entire HVAC box to get things back to the way they are supposed to be.

You can use an HVAC box from pretty much any dodge ram from 1980-ish, through to 93. As long as your truck came with AC and the donor component came with AC.

There are about 8-10 7/16" pal nuts around the perimeter of the HVAC box in the engine compartment. As well as 1 or two screws inside the truck. The unhook the heater control cable, the wiring and vacuum lines from the heater/AC control panel.

Remove the heater hoses, then the glove box door, and loosen the dash mounting points on both lower points on the dash, and the center support back behind the glove box, to the center of the dash. The lower center plastic air ducting will need to come of as well.

Then wiggle, jiggle and pull and you should be able to wrestle the HVAC box out.

thrashingcows 10-29-2014 07:10 PM

Take a look through this thread...should explain the removal process a bit as well.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=248580

mknittle 10-29-2014 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows (Post 3256307)
Take a look through this thread...should explain the removal process a bit as well.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=248580

that's the one I used to get mine apart. worked good.

GreatWhiteNorth 11-20-2014 04:28 PM

Hey Thanks Guys,

Ya she's a melted mess in there. That thread should work well.

Now.... I may have found a suitable donor at an auto recycler... but my question to you knowledgeable folks is what is this assembly worth in CDN $$$$!... or what would you be willing to pay?

I may be a little distracted with rutting mulies. I apologize for the late replies.

D

maybe368 11-20-2014 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth (Post 3258766)
Hey Thanks Guys,

Now.... I may have found a suitable donor at an auto recycler... but my question to you knowledgeable folks is what is this assembly worth in CDN $$$$!... or what would you be willing to pay?

I may be a little distracted with rutting mulies. I apologize for the late replies.

D

If you actually found a shroud that is in good shape, that by itself is priceless. That said, they are made of unobtanium and you will likely not find another, soooooo, what is it worth? I would be willing to pay quite a bit, where did you say you found it? [laugh][laugh][laugh]...Mark

patdaly 11-20-2014 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth (Post 3258766)
Hey Thanks Guys,

D

Since they are the same from gassers from at least 1990 to 1993, I wouldn't pay a bunch.

75 bucks complete?

patdaly 11-20-2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3258771)
If you actually found a shroud that is in good shape, that by itself is priceless. That said, they are made of unobtanium and you will likely not find another, soooooo, what is it worth? I would be willing to pay quite a bit, where did you say you found it? [laugh][laugh][laugh]...Mark

Mark, he isn't talking about the fan shroud thankfully, he needs the heater/AC box.........

maybe368 11-20-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 3258775)
Mark, he isn't talking about the fan shroud thankfully, he needs the heater/AC box.........

In the words of the great late Gilda Radner, "never mind" [duhhh][duhhh]...Mark

thrashingcows 11-20-2014 10:04 PM

I pulled one out of a 93 Gasser for my crewcab, up in Kelowna, a few years ago. Think I paid under $75 cdn...taxes in....;)

Jim Lane 11-21-2014 02:13 AM

Before I spent too much time trying to find a good fan shroud I would make one out of foam core and then fiberglass it, not that difficult, most of the custom shrouds I have made are of sheetmetal though.

Any idea what caused the problem?
Maybe an electrical fire of an oil fire from a blown turbo lube line.

thrashingcows 11-21-2014 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by jim lane (Post 3258812)

any idea what caused the problem?
Maybe an electrical fire of an oil fire from a blown turbo lube line.

Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth (Post 3256302)
how the technicians driving it didn't think to mention to the boss that something didn't sound right in the truck when the down pipe fell off is beyond me. That must have been... Loud...

;) :)

GreatWhiteNorth 11-28-2014 05:33 PM

Hey thanks again Guys,

Jim,

I was told by the boss man that his tech's drove it around without a down pipe for a while. He only discovered it when fall came and the technicians complained that the heater wasn't working.... 155,000 miles (yes U.S) of abuse.

Its had a rough start to life... I'm hoping to make it right again. Haha.

D