Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Master Cylinder swap? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/master-cylinder-swap-326310/)

73CrewCab 10-12-2016 08:41 PM

Master Cylinder swap?

Getting closer to being done with my 73 D200 Crew Cab, with 1995 running gear (motor, trans, axles etc.). My 73 master cylinder is SAE thread for the brake lines, and the 95 brakes appear to be metric....should I just buy some adapters, or swap in a 2nd Gen master? If I go to the 2nd Gen master, do I need the booster as well, or can I bolt it to the 73 booster? Can I pull it off of a gas truck? Both the 73 and 95 had discs up front and drums in the rear. I tried the search, but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

thrashingcows 10-13-2016 12:13 AM

I will be the first to tell you this...go Hydro boost...you won't regret it, and worth every penny....;)

But if you have to keep the vacuum system for now then I would measure the distances and depth of the MC area around the mounting surface and piston in the back....if the two are similar then use the 2nd Gen unit.

73CrewCab 10-13-2016 12:50 AM

Thanks, I DO plan on going HB once I have the cash. I've been off of work for 6 weeks, and I've put it all into this truck. I don't have a 2nd Gen master here, to compare them. My donor was a frame with a complete drivetrain and the lines from the master were cut off just above the frame. I'll have to hit the junkyard tomorrow and see if I can get some measurements. Not even sure where the brake light switch is supposed to be (in-line, or under the dash on the pedal) for a 2nd Gen...the old 73 is in-line (pressure switch).

thrashingcows 10-13-2016 02:24 AM

I just remembered that I saw a 1st Gen on craigslist a coupe years ago that had a 2nd/3rd gen master cylinder on the stock 1st Gen booster....so I guess it could be done?

boeingguy 10-13-2016 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by 73CrewCab (Post 3313550)
Getting closer to being done with my 73 D200 Crew Cab, with 1995 running gear (motor, trans, axles etc.). My 73 master cylinder is SAE thread for the brake lines, and the 95 brakes appear to be metric....should I just buy some adapters, or swap in a 2nd Gen master? If I go to the 2nd Gen master, do I need the booster as well, or can I bolt it to the 73 booster? Can I pull it off of a gas truck? Both the 73 and 95 had discs up front and drums in the rear. I tried the search, but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

just make some adapter lines an call it a day, you can always upgrade later, i used a school bus master cylinder (1 1\4 bore vs. 1 1\8 ) on stock booster. works perfect couldnt be happier.i did rear disc conversion also. not sayin HB may not be better, just another option... but i 'm pleased

mknittle 10-13-2016 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows (Post 3313567)
I will be the first to tell you this...go Hydro boost...you won't regret it, and worth every penny....;)

But if you have to keep the vacuum system for now then I would measure the distances and depth of the MC area around the mounting surface and piston in the back....if the two are similar then use the 2nd Gen unit.

^^^^THIS^^^^[coffee]