1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Low idle after ve pump seal replacement

Old 04-22-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low idle after ve pump seal replacement

Hello, I pulled off the top of my ve pump to replace the fuel pin seal and after reinstalling the top the truck idles low. I removed and reinstalled the top several more times with the same results. Is there anything I could have done wrong to cause this?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
You might have indexed the throttle shaft off by 1 spline.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
That would be my guess. I have done that.

Did you by chance change the governor spring? When I did mine I had to re adjust several pump settings.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:44 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
And...

If you indexed more than one spline, the truck won't stay running at all.

I can't tell you how I know this.

mknittle (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:37 AM

I've played with the throttle plate, setting at a neutral position per a overhaul shop's directions, moving it a spline causes the truck to idle way to high even with the stop bottomed out. The previous owner had done some adjustments to add more power like rotating the cone and turning in the fuel, I don't know if the spring is the original. I don't need the power and don't care for the smoke so I rotated the cone back to factory, and backed the fuel stop out a couple turns guessing at what factory might be. Is there a thread count to be sure I didn't go to far back?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric A
Hello, I pulled off the top of my ve pump to replace the fuel pin seal and after reinstalling the top the truck idles low. I removed and reinstalled the top several more times with the same results. Is there anything I could have done wrong to cause this?
In your number 5 post you say you rotated the cone back to stock and you turned the fuel stop out a couple of turns, if by fuel stop you mean the full power screw yes it will definitely change your idle by slowing it down, just re adjust your idle screw to get it back to about 700 rpms, at least that is what works for me. btw is it a stick or an auto truck if it's a stick and you turn your full power screw back out to far it will not take off very well.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:29 PM

number 10 in this is the screw I was talking about
Old 04-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's a stick, and I have been having problems starting out even with the idle stop turned up. I don't have a rpm gauge so I can only guess at the speed, but at what sounds about correct idle it runs rough. With a little more throttle she evens out but sounds to fast to my ear. I've wondered about the full power screw, but haven't noticed a lack of power on the road, with no towing, I assumed that the screw only affected upper limits not idle fuel. Sounds like it might be the culprit.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:54 PM

Tuning the ve pump is not an exact science but leaving the cone turned to the deep side then raising the smoke screw all the way up to flush on the inside of the cap then adjust your star wheel, ( it's number 5 in the diagram) I usually start out with it up 2 turns from the bottom. when you get it correct you should only have a slight haze at moderate throttle and if you mash it about a 2 second burst of black that will clean up as your turbo spools up. I would also turn the power screw back in 1/2 to 1 turn, remember any time you change the setting on the power screw it will change the idle. the stickies on the main page under performance has a wealth of info on tuning your pump just remember to write down where all of your adjustments are and then document every change you do for future reference
NJTman (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
Tuning the ve pump is not an exact science but leaving the cone turned to the deep side then raising the smoke screw all the way up to flush on the inside of the cap then adjust your star wheel, ( it's number 5 in the diagram) I usually start out with it up 2 turns from the bottom. when you get it correct you should only have a slight haze at moderate throttle and if you mash it about a 2 second burst of black that will clean up as your turbo spools up. I would also turn the power screw back in 1/2 to 1 turn, remember any time you change the setting on the power screw it will change the idle. the stickies on the main page under performance has a wealth of info on tuning your pump just remember to write down where all of your adjustments are and then document every change you do for future reference
Excellent post
Old 04-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Safety first

I have never messed with the inerds of the VE, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Las,,, oops wrong forum. What I mean to say is that you should pull the air tube off of the turbo and have a stout plank ready in case she runs away. That is what my ex-wife did, but the plank didn't stop her. If your rig runs away and you have no way to kill the motor, it can scrap itself in seconds...Mark
nonrev (04-23-2018)