Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Looking at getting into a Cummins (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/looking-getting-into-cummins-311129/)

bfr57 03-26-2013 12:53 PM

Looking at getting into a Cummins

Looking at my first diesel, but I'm a little weary of it, so looking for some expertise. It's a 92 club cab, SRW, 4x4 with over 300k miles. We're in the SW, so not a spot of rust, a couple of door dings, and badly faded . Interior is decent for the mileage. The auto tranny is slipping under load, so that's the major issue with it. Motor sounds and runs good as far as I can tell and here nothing but good about these 12V engines. Rear end R&P replaced recently, Banks exhaust, and cold air intake installed. He's definitely taken care of it. Is it worth $1500 knowing the trans condition? I'm well versed in gas motors, but not so much in diesels and do all my own work. The truck would be used for home projects and towing a car trailer and other toys like ATVs. Thanks.

Lary Ellis (Top) 03-26-2013 02:03 PM

I moved this into the First Gen section as everything that has anything to do with your truck is in here ;)

Read the "AKA Sticky" in this section...the kind of info in there should cost you at least $100....but it is right there for you to enjoy for free :)

NJTman 03-26-2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by bfr57 (Post 3175103)
..... Is it worth $1500 knowing the trans condition? .... Thanks.

Well, considering you could probably get that much for the engine alone, I would say...... :o

Even if you parted it out, you'd still make your money back.

Smokin$$away 03-26-2013 02:45 PM

I would think it's a deal. Engine, 4x4 axle, transfer case, body parts, ect should bring twice what they are asking.

Chrisreyn 03-26-2013 03:07 PM

Sounds a bit under priced!! BUY IT!!!

patdaly 03-26-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by bfr57 (Post 3175103)
Looking at my first diesel, but I'm a little weary of it, so looking for some expertise. It's a 92 club cab, SRW, 4x4 with over 300k miles. We're in the SW, so not a spot of rust, a couple of door dings, and badly faded . Interior is decent for the mileage. The auto tranny is slipping under load, so that's the major issue with it. Motor sounds and runs good as far as I can tell and here nothing but good about these 12V engines. Rear end R&P replaced recently, Banks exhaust, and cold air intake installed. He's definitely taken care of it. Is it worth $1500 knowing the trans condition? I'm well versed in gas motors, but not so much in diesels and do all my own work. The truck would be used for home projects and towing a car trailer and other toys like ATVs. Thanks.

Considering up here, I can't find a rusted to pieces, tranny blown, broke in 2 Cummins first gen for less than 3K, I say it is a steal.

All I need is one to part out for the wiring and linkages, no luck.

That truck will bring some dollars very soon, the person selling it doesn't know what they have, better grab it NOW.

Then consider doing a 47RH swap or a 5 speed swap if you want to tow.

Smokin$$away 03-26-2013 05:43 PM

Well I have the right to change my mind don't I lmbo.. It's too expensive so where is it? No it's cheap IMHO. I have one and always need parts/pieces. Good luck on your decision.

haultruck 03-26-2013 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 3175150)
Considering up here, I can't find a rusted to pieces, tranny blown, broke in 2 Cummins first gen for less than 3K, I say it is a steal.

All I need is one to part out for the wiring and linkages, no luck.

That truck will bring some dollars very soon, the person selling it doesn't know what they have, better grab it NOW.

Then consider doing a 47RH swap or a 5 speed swap if you want to tow.

I agree, the parts are getting scarce for these things and I have also been looking for a parts rig. 1500 is nothing for what you described. I need a vss/grr combo and cant find one. I'd spend that on an almost running parts rig in a heartbeat.

bfr57 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses. I'm going to hear it run in about an hour. I'll report back later. Looks like I'll need to learn a new "lingo" for part numbers and the like. I know my Chevy's, but not these Dodges! So, is the 518 tranny not any good?

Chrisreyn 03-26-2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by haultruck (Post 3175160)
I agree, the parts are getting scarce for these things and I have also been looking for a parts rig. 1500 is nothing for what you described. I need a vss/grr combo and cant find one. I'd spend that on an almost running parts rig in a heartbeat.

You can get a VSS through NAPA, a GRR can be built by most tranny shops if you have your old one..

Originally Posted by bfr57 (Post 3175172)
Thanks a lot for the responses. I'm going to hear it run in about an hour. I'll report back later. Looks like I'll need to learn a new "lingo" for part numbers and the like. I know my Chevy's, but not these Dodges! So, is the 518 tranny not any good?

The 518 is a fair tranny but needs looking after, temps will kill it real quick. the Getrag or NV is better if you are going to be towing alot, and out of the 4 first gens I've had, the manuals have gotten better fuel mileage..

j_martin 03-26-2013 07:18 PM

Wait, don't go. Tell me where it is and I'll go give the man a piece of my......

wallet.

peobryant 03-26-2013 07:23 PM

The stock torque converter leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that it's a fine transmission. I've never had an issue out of mine. That being said, with you already having to replace the tranny I'd swap an NV4500 in there if you want a manual and a 47rh if you want to keep it an auto.

For what it's worth my '91 got 22mpg on the highway last fill up. That's going between 55-65mph and the occasional kick out of O/D from the failing TPS.

Mark Nixon 03-26-2013 10:35 PM

$1500 for a VE engine?
Who pays that much?
Won't bring it around here. [dummy]

Mark.

bfr57 03-26-2013 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought it. Here's a pic. I was able to drive it; 1-2 shift OK, 2-3 slushy. Wasn't able to get into OD where I was, but owner said that's where the trouble shifts happen. Steering a little sloppy, but manageable. Tires/rims are 16.5, so that's a hinderance. Other little things of course for a 315K truck. Engine sounded and ran great.

Chrisreyn 03-26-2013 11:34 PM

Nice looking truck, for $1500, you got a deal is my opinion!
Welcome to the world of Cummins Diesels! you just took your first hit of the drug, you gonna get addicted now!!! Buwahahaa

Now..... lets talk about mods....[laugh]