Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Light grey smoke (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/light-grey-smoke-102645/)

ouchman 05-12-2006 07:17 PM

Light grey smoke

I noticed my truck smokes a little all the time. Cold - Hot - Idle - Driving. Of course it puffs out black when I punch it. I always notice light grey smoke going past my window at stop lights. Seems to be running great. I already bumped the IP 1/8". Any thoughts? Anything to worry about?

FrdRdnk 05-12-2006 09:56 PM

Just an idea, but if you've turned in the no bost screw on the top of the pump that'll do it. Atleast it did on mine. I suppose it could be a number of things but that was the first that popped into my head.
Sam

wannadiesel 05-13-2006 12:48 PM

Does this one still have the stock injectors?

ouchman 05-13-2006 02:46 PM

It got new injectors when the previous owner rebuilt the motor. Don't know what type. I've never messed with anything on the pump other than timing.

ouchman 05-16-2006 12:36 PM

bump...

anyone?

G1625S 05-16-2006 12:57 PM

How does the timing setting 'sound'? If the engine was rebuilt, the chance exists that the pump gear was put on a tooth retarded, which might cause your haze. Have you run the valves lately? Can you catch a whiff of the smoke to maybe tell what it is that's burning?

ouchman 05-16-2006 04:33 PM

Diesel smell may be a little stronger than normal - can't see any leaks. MPGs could stand to be a little higher... Currently about 18hwy.

Are you thinking I should bump the IP more?

Hot Rod 4 05-20-2006 07:25 PM

So I would like to know what happened with your problem. My truck does the same thing and am looking for suggestions. Here is a list of things I tried.

1.Bump timing up 1/8
2.take timing out.checked with light was at 17 btc :eek:
3.sent IP and injectors to be tested, they were fine [verymad]
4.adjusted boost screw up, down didn't matter

Now thinkin of buyin compression gauge and checkin that.

Soooo what cured yours.

G1625S 05-20-2006 07:56 PM

FWIW, what are your driving habits like? I'll be the first to admit that with fuel prices the way they are, I spent a few tanks under 2000 RPMs in hopes of better mileage. Truthfully though, the more I wussy-foot it, the worse it runs--worse meaning rougher than normal idle, slight haze to the stock injectors, etc etc. Couple days ago I was in a foul mood and from every stop the pyro went like this: 2nd-800* 3rd-1100* 4th-1200* 5th-1500*/buried. By the end of the day, the idle had gone up 100 rpms and was dead smooth. It started quicker and what haze I had was gone. This may or may not be a definitive answer to the original question, but it bears remembering that these engines were originally designed for much greater things than ho-hum pickup truck duty. Normal operating paramaters are in the neighborhood of 90% duty cycle all day long. So, maybe it needs more than just a good flogging, but it sure would be fun to eliminate that variable (for scientific reasons only, of course):)