1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lift pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Lift pump?

What are the symptoms of a failing/failed lift pump? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. My lift pump is a diaphragm type that I put on about 15 years ago. What I have is when pulling a load and climbing a hill the engine sort of cuts out kind of like a gas motor with a misfire. It's a slight jerking feeling but not a dead miss.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:16 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When my LP gave up the ghost, the truck failed to start. Period. It died while I was at work. I drove there in the morning and that night when I went to start it to go home, no-bueno....
Old 11-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Take of the fuel line from the lift pump and use the thumb prime lever...does it pump fuel?

I would also check the oil level as when the LP goes out it can rip the diaphragm and dump lots of fuel into the oil pan....which is not good.

I would think 15 years is a decent service life, I would think a new LP might be in order.
I like the HVLP piston LP as an upgrade on my 1sr gen myself.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Put your foot to the floor. It should pull evenly all the way to the governor. If your pump is not supplying enough fuel you will notice the pull taper off before the governor. A piston lift pump is the best way to go. The Delphi pumps are excellent quality at a reasonable price and will handle mild performance mods with no problem.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:21 PM

That's just what I had in mind, so I guess one of my Christmas presents to me will be the piston lift pump kit.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I like the HVLP piston LP as an upgrade on my 1sr gen myself.
Oliver,
Are you talking about the DELPHI HFP702 here??? If so, where to buy one? I see Jegs sells them but, was wondering if a sponsor her sells them?

Old 11-24-2018, 09:43 PM

I bought a few HVLP LP kits from The Hungry Diesel when he had a sale on them last year.
He includes the need line, two gaskets, spacer ETC that is needed to install it as part of the kit.
I have seen Diesel Tuff list them for sale as well.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (11-24-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by rlyons
... What I have is when pulling a load and climbing a hill the engine sort of cuts out kind of like a gas motor with a misfire. It's a slight jerking feeling but not a dead miss.
That's exactly what mine did. Ran fine just tooling around but up a hill it would start missing and cutting out.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:56 AM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Watch the pressure out of the new piston pump! Get one that the seller guarantees puts out about 15 psi and NO MORE! I got one off Amazon that put out 40 plus psi and it blew out the front seal of my VE injection pump and filled the crankcase with fuel. NOT a fun fix but I'm getting good at taking VE's off and on.

Edwin
nothingbutdarts (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 PM

I ordered the kit from THD. It should be here in a week or so.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 PM

Got my piston lift pump from THD and installed it yesterday. Now just need to get a load on it to see if it fixed the problem. Pretty simple to install, had to cut away a little insulation and tweak the line a little but not bad. Gonna put in some fuel and take it out tomorrow to see how it runs.
nonrev (12-08-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 PM

The weather finally allowed me to get the truck out today and fuel it up. The new piston lift pump from THD fixed my problem and the truck is running great again. Before the install I was having trouble getting over 25psi boost, today a simple push on the throttle and it was burying the 30 pound gauge, idle is smooth as silk and a little higher. I am totally satisfied with the piston pump.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by rlyons
The weather finally allowed me to get the truck out today and fuel it up. The new piston lift pump from THD fixed my problem and the truck is running great again. Before the install I was having trouble getting over 25psi boost, today a simple push on the throttle and it was burying the 30 pound gauge, idle is smooth as silk and a little higher. I am totally satisfied with the piston pump.
Great. I am glad you like the upgrade.
I know I was totally happy with the THD piston pump kit I installed on my '91.0 last winter. The other kit that was installed on my black crew cab has yet be fired up as I got caught up in the "while I am here" trap.
It is a great mod in a well priced and organized kit.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Great. I am glad you like the upgrade.
I know I was totally happy with the THD piston pump kit I installed on my '91.0 last winter. The other kit that was installed on my black crew cab has yet be fired up as I got caught up in the "while I am here" trap.
It is a great mod in a well priced and organized kit.
I guess you guys like paying more for the exact same kit I sell. Your $ but just saying.
edwinsmith (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by nascar mark
I guess you guys like paying more for the exact same kit I sell. Your $ but just saying.

Your right, it is my money and I can spend it anyway I want...Which is wisely.

I actually checked your site as well Mark, and with the sale THD was running, his kit was quite a bit cheaper than your kit, so I ordered 3 kits.

I try to do my research. I was in no rush for those parts so I was waiting for the best deal.

If he had not run the sale I would have bought from you Mark.

Quick Reply: Lift pump?