1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

leaky cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 05:17 PM
cah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaky cab

I noticed my rug being wet on the drivers side so I pulled it up and it was soaked. After tearing all the rug out and the rubber layer underneath, I was no wiser. The passenger side was damp but most of the water was on the drivers side. The firewall, around the 4*4 shifter, and on the rise under the seat were all dry. I’m pretty sure it’s coming from the floor somewhere on the drivers side but I can’t tell where. Any suggestions.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:leaky cab

when you find out let us know, mine always ends up with a wet floor right next to the kick panels when I wash it. I gave up trying to locate the source.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been numerous posts on the TDR ( :P) about this and it has been traced to the windshield gasket and also in the area under the wiper assemblies, where the cowl and cab meet is a potential leak spot.. Most times the moisture will come in through the panel vent or by the parking brake. <br><br>J-eh
Old 05-23-2003, 11:06 PM

1st Gen trucks are notorious for the cracks in the cab right in the corner of the windshiels. Check the Tech Facts under 1st Gen, non-drivetrain. I know mine is cracked on both sides and leaks. :'( I also get a little water in from around the top of the windshield. I get an occasional drip from the furtherest left trim screw over the windshiels. I'm gonna replace those seals one of these days! Of course, it's not going to rain in WA again until November! <br><br>Carl
Old 05-24-2003, 12:22 AM
AlK

I have been there also and done it. In my case it was the vent on the drivers side. The vent problem arises because Chrysler used a foam seal around the vent. Of course those of us who keep their vehicles for a number of years find out that the foam seal disintegrates and looses its elasticity and hence we get the leak. I have never used the vent and so I sealed it up and now no more leaks.<br>--<br>Al
Old 05-24-2003, 12:12 PM
cah

well Ive got all day. I hope I can find It. thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:38 PM

Had the very same problem you had. After six months, and many rust repairs :'(I chased it back to a leaking rear window seal. The water was running down the inside of the trim and down into the lower corners of the cab were the seat belt stuff is. From there it soaked into the floor mats and went everywhere. To solve the problem I took out both the front and rear windows and resealed them. As far as the floor and fire wall I used enough RTV to fill up the bed to be sure that nothing leaked. Havent had any troubles since. Make sure if there is any rust or rust signs take care of them NOW, DO NOT wait to do this or you will be sorry.<br><br>Paws
Old 05-27-2003, 05:42 PM
cah

I traced my leak to the top corner of the windshield the trim had pulled apart and water was pouring in through the corner down the post into the rubber door stripping and onto the floor. I had the trim urethaned to seal it back up. <br>I just bought the truck so I don’t know how long its leaked for but the rug and both pieces of underlay were soaked I had the carpets cleaned and am now looking for new under lay. Any suggestions, Dodge is out of the question<br>
Old 05-28-2003, 11:46 PM
cah

I was half right. The leak form the windshield stoped but I'm getting water in the vent hole from above. I am going to check the cowl tomorow. Can anyone give me some help on where to look, and how to fix. I saw a thread on this site a while ago but I cant seem to find it agian.<br><br>
Old 05-29-2003, 12:02 AM
cah

leaky cab

I also found a grommet in the vent hole that looks like it hooks onto a trim piece allowing a bolt to be treaded into it. any idea where that may have came from.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:44 PM

cah,<br> <br>I replace my underlay with a wool type pad, but I don't think it is wool maybe some kind of plastic stuff. This does not absorb any water, no more rust on the floors . This stuff also quiets the cab quite a bit. I found it at my local parts store, and it wasn't very expensive.<br><br>Paws
Old 06-01-2003, 06:10 PM
cah

I found the hole and I think it came from the factory made like this. the water drains off the windshield and through the vented piece between the cab and hood. It then drains to either side of the truck and falls down into the space where the vent hole is. I stuck my hand up the vent hole. I cant feel any cracks just a big hole like it was made that way. Or is that the crack? It just doesent feel like a crack. I can't see it from the top or through the door. Any way the water seems to drain out fine and stay out of the cab. Im sure my problem was from the windshield. One bonus is my rug looks and smells like new after a shampoo!