Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Leaking VE Pump Diagnosis (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/leaking-ve-pump-diagnosis-330208/)

GCam 04-24-2018 01:59 PM

Leaking VE Pump Diagnosis

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, see attached picture, looks like fuel is dripping from the bottom of the pump, any ideas?

Morsel 04-24-2018 03:23 PM

just had the same thing going on with mine. Probably the large o ring on the pump head. From everything I read and researched if the pump head large o ring gasket is leaking then it is highly probable the myriad of gaskets in the pump are on their way out as well. I decided it was better to pull the pump and send it in for a rebuild rather than pull the head and replace the o ring.
cost on my rebuild was $850. I did the pull and replace labor myself. Pretty easy job if you have some basic mechanical skills. The only headache is getting the keyway lined up when you install the new/rebuilt pump.
Hope that helps

mknittle 04-24-2018 04:04 PM

hen mine did that it was the o ring on the front of the governor shaft and the one on the power screw.

thrashingcows 04-24-2018 04:49 PM

Generally if one O-ring is going bad the others are likely to fail not long after. I have never just done one or two O-rings....I just re-seal the whole pump.

Gizmo52 04-25-2018 10:55 AM

I bought the whole reseal kit and did it my self. DO NOT PULL THE PUMP HEAD OFF WHEN THE PUMP IS MOUNTED TO THE TRUCK! you have lock the pump at top dead center and pull the pump off the truck. then stand it up vertically and do it. its not too hard to do but if you don't have a knowledge of how these pumps work then be warned they have a lot of parts and a lot of replacement pieces

edwinsmith 04-25-2018 03:35 PM

There's a video of how to r&r the pump from the engine. If you put the same pump back in and index the line on the timing case properly there's no need to lock the pump.

A good exploded diagram is all you need if you have a 3D mind and can visualize where the parts go. You'll need a special socket to take out the triangle head bolts in the sides of the pump. You can find them on the internet.

Regards

Edwin

bigragu 04-26-2018 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jut like this, bought thru eBay, from the UK

GCam 06-06-2018 10:05 AM

Didn't have the time to do it myself but had it resealed by a very knowledgeable shop in Red Deer, AB for a very reasonable price!

Shiny 08-14-2023 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by GCam (Post 3349236)
Didn't have the time to do it myself but had it resealed by a very knowledgeable shop in Red Deer, AB for a very reasonable price!

Hey Cam, who did you get to reseal your pump?
Cheers eh!

-Shiny

GCam 08-14-2023 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 3386060)
Hey Cam, who did you get to reseal your pump?
Cheers eh!

-Shiny

Central Diesel Injection in Red Deer. Ask for Andrew

oliver foster 08-15-2023 06:15 AM

Wow!
A 5+ year old tread and the guy answers the question the same day!
Atta boy.

KRB 08-16-2023 04:26 AM

Yep, that is impressive! Good job GCam and thanks for hanging with us.