1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.
View Poll Results: We'll shake them up with our artillery
AlCan Springs
31.43%
SkyJacker
28.57%
Custom Suspension parabolic springs
31.43%
Other (If Other Please post!)
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That really stinks man how much longer are they?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Get ahold of Jungle from ramchargercentral he makes the front spring mount and shackle both longer so your caster is not affected
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by longshotranch
Get ahold of Jungle from ramchargercentral he makes the front spring mount and shackle both longer so your caster is not affected
I like Jungles stuff, as it's high quality and the best out there. Real problem with Jungle's parts is my plow mount won't allow his stuff to be added without removal, and I just put it all on. I honestly don't know if it will even work with a plow mount. The truck sits too high in the front now, and if I do install his stuff (if it works) I'd have to do the back end, something I wasn't intending to do as I'm done with the $$.

Reality is, I'm going to be there @ 7:55 am tomorrow, and they open @ 8. We'll see how they're going to address this.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 AM

that sucks. if they give you a hard time i'd try for smoots down by me in elmer. he has been by the shop a few times and he seems like a good guy
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Oh man, that sucks. I hope mine fit, they're shipping out Tuesday or Monday. Well at least you have someone to talk to and don't have to spend money in shipping costs. Once my springs arrive pics will follow.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 AM

nevermind, thats a bit of a hike for you lol. ask jungle about the hangars mated to your plow setup? it cant hurt
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM

From one's experiences, others can benefit

I guess that means you guys are the "others"

Sitting on the doorstep, this morning, the owner came out and looked at the truck. I brought the old spring that they gave back to me to show them the issue. Their tech came out and saw what was happening. He said that they "compensate" for lift, by extending the length of the spring, so that the rear shackle doesn't reverse forwards due to the increased arch of the standard length spring. Makes sense, as the higher you arch a spring, the shorter the distance between the eyes it gets. I guess they overcompensated.

Another factor involved, is that in other trucks, besides my 20 year old dodge, the frames are parallel with the ground where the spring attaches. Dodge springs are attached at the downward angle of the frame @ the rear shackle. This means that if my frame was like other trucks, the compensation would have been unobserved as the shackle would have just been back about 1/2" or so, and none for worse. Since our frames are "in the way" of this, I was riding the frame on both rear eyes.

So, today I (twice) drove the 44 mile round trip (& $3.00 each time in tolls), got home, and in 45 minutes of total removal time, I pulled the springs back out. I brought with me my U-bolts to have them make me new, as the u-bolts stretch, and are not really supposed to be re-used a second time. They're not charging me for the new u-bolts, and are making the new main spring to the corrected length. I get them back in about 2 days.

If I had ordered these springs from Canada, or Fresno, or Jamacia, I would be stuck with them. Because I stayed local, and I'm working with what is a reputable shop, I simply have lost time, and not much else.

If you guys want to not deal with this, you need to leave your truck @ the spring shop and let them do them. Another factor involved here is that I brought the springs to them, and if they actually had the truck on premises, they would have realized what was wrong, and fixed it before I picked up the truck. Granted I saved $350 doing them myself, but at what cost ?

Live and learn, and I hope this helps someone else doing the same thing.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
From one's experiences, others can benefit

If I had ordered these springs from Canada, or Fresno, or Jamacia, I would be stuck with them. Because I stayed local, and I'm working with what is a reputable shop, I simply have lost time, and not much else.
Not exactly true. I had alcan send me rear springs and the main leaf was too long. Bill (alcan contact) sent me new shorter main leafs for nothing. Was very good of him to correct the problem without me even having to pay shipping, and shipping is not cheap. It did cost me an additional week of waiting time though.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BILTIT
Not exactly true. I had alcan send me rear springs and the main leaf was too long. Bill (alcan contact) sent me new shorter main leafs for nothing. Was very good of him to correct the problem without me even having to pay shipping, and shipping is not cheap. It did cost me an additional week of waiting time though.

Never said it would be impossible to get satisfaction, as by your example, there are anomalies out there.... just not easy, and most likely stuck with them if bought elsewhere that wasn't similar to your experience. Hopefully no one here has to deal with what I'm referring to.

Both my and Mopar1973 had the issue where there was no return ability, nor recourse, because of whom we bought from. Apparently, Alcan is an excellent resource, such as the one I'm dealing with right now. Good to know that good upstanding places do exist. On certain items, I now just prefer to stay local.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM

Got a call today about my springs.

They redid the springs to correct the length. They didn't alter them in any other way, so after I pick them up, I should be able to see immediately if they're going to work properly.

They were upset that this happened, and they freebeed me some new U-bolts to replace the one I put in that they sold me, and 2 new ones for the other side @ half price (I didn't buy the other u-bolts from them) this way, there will be all new parts again. I didn't know that U-bolts are not supposed to be re-used after the initial torque. It's not that they can't be used, but the shop doesn't recommend it as they stretch during initial torque. I guess from a safety perspective, it's best to spend the $20 and get new u-bolts.

Looking forwards to picking them up and getting them in. Hopefully the last time I'm doing this.... although, I am getting really fast at removing them..... Down to under 45 minutes including setting the jackstands under the truck..... Whoo hoo !

Since the new springs were 3" high, the old shocks were too short. I picked up a set of air shocks to see how they're going to ride with them in the front. Keeping them low psi until I put my plow on there in the winter.... that is if we ever get another snow storm here again. If they suck, I have to buy a set of "3" lifted truck" shocks as the new ride height won't take the stockers.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have to buy shocks, go with the Nitro's. I bought the Nitro 8000's when i lifted my truck and it rides alot better than it did with the junky old monroe gassers.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Woohooo, springs have shipped, they will be at my place on the 18th!! I'm going to do a video of my current riding suspension and then when I put these new ones on.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BILTIT

Oldie but goodie thread resurrection. Alcan STILL makes the main leaves long, even on Toyota springs, that Bill doesn't get it I think.

I have had a good experience on my 91.5 with the Skyjacker front 2.5" spring specifically built for the Cummins D200CS. They have held the lift about 2.5" with weight of 200lb bumper/winch, plus barely squat when I lift my Meyer 7.5' plow. I did grease the leaves as the ride got rough after a year, and that helped the ride. FYI, They have 1" spring eyes, and bushing sleeves DO NOT fit 5/8 bolts for 92/93

Deaver Spring makes a killer 2" front spring that has a military wrap at front eye, and the rear eye is supported by 2nd leaf, they come with 1.25" spring eyes so you can choose 5/8 ID rubber bushing up front and rear: https://archivegarage.com/products/d...-front-cummins
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (02-17-2019)