Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Ksb All The Time Hot (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/ksb-all-time-hot-141043/)

BearKiller 03-10-2007 05:20 PM

Ksb All The Time Hot

[duhhh] I sat straight up in bed last night and ran out to look under the hood of my truck.

Just as the premonition predicted, :o both wires from both solenoids were twisted together and tied to the ignition ON wire from the key-switch, thereby making the KSB hot :o all the time the engine was running, up hill and down, loaded and empty, winter and summer, for the entire year-plus that this engine has been in my truck.

I have since remedied this situation and replaced the blade terminal, on top of the run solenoid, with a ring-terminal---a job I don't recommend undertaking without an arsenal of strong little-bitty-nut-finding-magnets on hand.[duhhh]

What are the results of this situation??

What does it do to mileage??

What does it do to EGTs??

Could this possibly be the reason for nothing I seem to do helping my through-the-roof EGT situation??

For the present, there is nothing hooked to the KSB; it probably has been on enough to do for a while.[laugh]

Thanks.

Old Smoky 03-10-2007 05:43 PM

Depending on mods, hot wiring the KSB can result in up to a 40hp increase.:cool: I used to have mine on a switch in the cab. When I would dyno, or want a little extra go juice, I'd just flip the switch.

It will increase timing, and fuel pressure. I wouldn't recommend running it hot all the time. I did forget a few times after turning it on - one time for about 5 hours of driving.[duhhh] Prolonged activation of the KSB can lead to fuel leakage, usually around the o-ring on the back side of the timing advance chamber, or on the throttle shaft. Having all that extra timing isn't really desirable for everyday driving. I wouldn't really worry if I were you.

Mike

wannadiesel 03-11-2007 07:38 AM

It's not going to help your EGT situation, but you will find it gives you more bottom end. If nothing's leaking, don't panic.

You do have the "intercooled" style KSB, right?

G1625S 03-11-2007 07:50 AM

Bear, if your engine is as it was when pulled from the '89, you need to hook that wire back up to an 'ignition-on' source. The non-intercooled engines had a different setup and, when NOT supplied 12v, they will increase the timing---the exact opposite of how the intercooled model works. You'll know about 4-5 minutes after you start it, as it'll be pretty rattly. Unplugging my KSB is about the same as a 1/4'' timing bump. I'll snap a pic of my non-ic solenoid this morning---when the coffee's done[coffee] so you can compare it to yours, just in case yours might have been changed....

wannadiesel 03-11-2007 08:13 AM

Yep, just re-read his sig, I thought he had a '91 intercooled motor in there.

Hook it back up, BK - you had it right by accident. [laugh]

Ilikebikes 03-11-2007 12:42 PM

Interesting...

So I can wire up my KSB in the cab and manually turn it on at startup or when I want a bit more power?

BearKiller 03-11-2007 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 1401757)
Yep, just re-read his sig, I thought he had a '91 intercooled motor in there.

Hook it back up, BK - you had it right by accident. [laugh]

Man!! You mean I broke out in a cold sweat and felt real foolish for messing up, when I hadn't actually messed up and went and messed up unmessing up??[duhhh] [duhhh] [duhhh]

Thanks for getting me all straightened out.

ontos 03-12-2007 07:14 AM

The difference in the KSB setup was a confusion to me.
My engine is an 89 and during a trip I noticed the wire had come off. Tried the wire on /off a few times.
The effect was a clear. Ran better down the road with the wire on (power to the ksb) than without. Higher egt's when wire was off.
Didn't make sense until I searched out the difference in KSB function.
Not clear what a "wax" motor is but I know in my case power on is better. Power off is for cold starting. (Wax on, Wax off).
If I have this backward don't tell me, because in my mind it's OK.

farmer0_1 03-12-2007 11:21 AM

another thing to look for when doing my conversion thanks for the heads up on the intercooled non intercooled isp function. i would have assumed they were the same. thanks again