1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

KDP investigation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredbrick
Y'all are scaring me. I've known about this but never got around to it. Ages ago, a year or so after buying the brick I was parked in a lot getting my bearings on direction to go when I suddenly heard this jack-hammer like sound. I shut her off and popped the hood and looked around, got in and started er up and all was as quiet as a Cummins could be at idle. I've wondered if she was passing that pin! I've also wondered why Cummins wouldn't be on the hook for any carnage.
Passing the pin- that made me laugh!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I was given some loctite 2 part "high strength quick set" epoxy with the claim that it was better than JB weld.

Looked up the specs, it's junque compared to JB.

Also found that true with a quick trial.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:26 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
I agree with the wonders of JB Weld.

That one picture of what you JBed looks like the bolt hole broke out, was that big enough to eject, or um, "pass" the pin?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
I agree with the wonders of JB Weld.

That one picture of what you JBed looks like the bolt hole broke out, was that big enough to eject, or um, "pass" the pin?
It was completely spun around the other way, so, yep, I think it could have ‘passed’ right thru there. I’m gonna pull the pan tomorrow morning and peek see what’s in there.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:35 AM

Okay, so I did pull the pan yesterday... well let me rephrase that. I tried to pull the pan, but was unsuccessful at getting it down. Seems that even with a couple pieces of 2 x 4’s wedged up under the motor mounts, I could not get the motor up high enough so that the pan would clear the trans. .

The truck is sitting in my driveway... technically I’m not supposed to be doing any kind of major auto repair and I have limited tools. I think I need to trailer it to the ranch where I work and pull the motor. Since it’s got to come all the way down to where I can put the new camshaft in, I think that makes more sense.

So I will definitely update in the near future whether I find that little sucker in the pan or not. I think I see a tilt front end in that Trucks future!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
I think I see a tilt front end in that Trucks future![/QUOTE]

How about a removable engine cross member? You know, just use some square or rectangular tubing in the middle that bolts in. You first, then I'll copy!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
I think I see a tilt front end in that Trucks future!
How about a removable engine cross member? You know, just use some square or rectangular tubing in the middle that bolts in. You first, then I'll copy![/QUOTE]
Once the motors out, I’m gonna check that out!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Mknittle build a removable crossmember for that very purpose, during his 2wd to 4x4 swap.
There are pictures of it somewhere in his epic build thread.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Mknittle build a removable crossmember for that very purpose, during his 2wd to 4x4 swap.
There are pictures of it somewhere in his epic build thread.
Def going to check that out. Anyone seen a tilt front end on these? I'm sure they are out there, was just curious on how they did it compared to the ideas I'm knocking around.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice on the repair bulletin they say the ONLY motors that have the KDP plague are the P pump motors ???? Is this correct ?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Joeyvco
I notice on the repair bulletin they say the ONLY motors that have the KDP plague are the P pump motors ???? Is this correct ?
Mine doesn’t have a P pump, so that would be incorrect I believe...
Old 03-17-2018, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Joeyvco
It appears to happen to the P-pumped 12Vs more often than the VE pumped ones, I have noticed. That doesn't mean the VE pumped 12Vs never have the problem.

A buddy of mine and I had a conversation about it a few years ago and threw out the idea that maybe the heavier P-pumped injection pump helps rattle the KDP out more than the lighter VE pump...but that was just throwing out ideas over a beer or three in the shop.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
KDP problem can effect any 6bt engine from the 91.5 IC 1st gen ( not the non-IC 1st gen’s as they have a different gear cover with a blind dowel pin boos ) all the way through to around 24v 2000 year engines. Somewhere in the early 2000’s Cummins changed up the gear housing again to a dowel pin blind hole.
Reason it effects the p-pumped engines more than not is the harmonic’s of the p7100. The pump takes quite a bit of torque to just turn over, unlike a VE or VP which is easily turned by hand.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar mark
KDP problem can effect any 6bt engine from the 91.5 IC 1st gen ( not the non-IC 1st gen’s as they have a different gear cover with a blind dowel pin boos ) all the way through to around 24v 2000 year engines. Somewhere in the early 2000’s Cummins changed up the gear housing again to a dowel pin blind hole.
Reason it effects the p-pumped engines more than not is the harmonic’s of the p7100. The pump takes quite a bit of torque to just turn over, unlike a VE or VP which is easily turned by hand.
What about the 89? Does that mean I'm safe?

Edwin
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by nascar mark
Earlier today, I thought this was a cool new piece of Cummins info..
Now I am not so sure. I just pulled the timing cover off a NON intercooled 12V I have been using for parts for a few years.
I looked right at the dowel pin on the case and tapped it in a 1/4 an inch or so.

This made me remember my Crew Cab bro. out in Maine was rebuilding a '91.0 Non I/Ced motor right now for a cool '78 Crew cab that came from TX. I called and asked him. He said it buttoned that motor up yesterday and the KDP was flush with the front of the timing case on his motor before he tapped in back in.
I will keep my eyes open for this elusive different cover on other NON I/C motors from now on.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-23-2018)

Quick Reply: KDP investigation...