1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injector pump reseal and other repairs/mods

Old 02-22-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector pump reseal and other repairs/mods

My ve pump is leaking and needs resealed. I've also had occasional start issues. Like trash in the lines or it's bleeding down. It's done this 4 times now in the last 6 months. I've ruled out injectors, seems this would be more constant. I have a new WIX filter to install that may fix the problem. And I've ordered 10' of 2 AWG cable and lugs, a Bosch gasket and seal kit, a 3200 RPM spring, a banjo bolt with 1/8 npt outlet and a 1/8 npt plug. Couldn't afford the pressure gauge and line this week. Or the timing spacer, really haven't decided if I want it or not. Once all my parts get here, I'll pull the pump and go through it with the new seals and parts. Also thinking of grinding the fuel pin while it's out. I'm running new grounds everywhere starting at the alternator. And running a new positive cable too. And adding a dual battery setup. Everything should be here by next weekend.

Anything else I should be considering while the pump is off or when running the new cables?

My truck is a 93 D350 LE, automatic, intercooled. Only mods done thus far are LEDs everywhere but the turn signals and a potentiometer bypassing the TPS. I have everything I need to do the headlight relays and blower motor relay mods. Just need to take the time to get it all done.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:59 PM

And now my lift pump is leaking, as well. Not sure if it's leaking from the pump or the lines, but the whole pump is wet and steady dripping from the bottom. I'm about to go price pumps.

Are there any recommendations on replacing these? OEM or upgrade?

I really appreciate all the info you guys have provided on this site and for all future knowledge to be gained.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I think Geno's Garage has those stock lift pumps for $50.

But..
If you are planning a fair amount of injection pump mods for more fuel flow and power, then some people go to a low pressure piston style lift pump.
The same style as you would find on the 2nd gens, only with a lower fuel pressure for the VE pump.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I think Geno's Garage has those stock lift pumps for $50.

But..
If you are planning a fair amount of injection pump mods for more fuel flow and power, then some people go to a low pressure piston style lift pump.
The same style as you would find on the 2nd gens, only with a lower fuel pressure for the VE pump.
Thanks.
I was at Geno's looking and it's listed at $42, which is as cheap as I've seen on eBay. RockAuto has em a few bucks cheaper. I think I'll go with Geno. Unless the shipping charge is too much.

EDIT: Looks like after shipping, RockAuto has everyone beat by about $14.

I have no plans beyond the 3200 spring and grinding the pin, so I'll hold off on piston pumps.