Injection pump, reseal or rebuild? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injection pump, reseal or rebuild?

Old 05-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #1  

Injection pump, reseal or rebuild?

The pump has been leaking, it's wet with fuel but no drips that I can see. Engine isn't making oil! Is it time to rebuild it or is a reseal job good enough?
I need to drive it until I get my 01 Bleep Cherokee back on the road. Lately it seem like I'm getting further behind drowning in more and more repairs
bigredbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 AM   #2  

As long as it's running good I'd reseal it and motor on. I know what you mean about repairs piling up. I have a big puddle of gear oil next to my left rear tire.

Edwin
edwinsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #3  

With 200K+ miles on it, I'd be leaning toward an overhaul. Hard call though. My 91.5 was still pulling strong with no leaks at 300K, but my 92 died a slow death by 190K.
cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbrick View Post
The pump has been leaking, it's wet with fuel but no drips that I can see. Engine isn't making oil! Is it time to rebuild it or is a reseal job good enough?
I need to drive it until I get my 01 Bleep Cherokee back on the road. Lately it seem like I'm getting further behind drowning in more and more repairs

BigRed- did you not just reseal that thing like this time last year? I remember you opening that thing up about four times?
bigragu is online now   Reply With Quote