1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injection pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injection pump

I am new to this so I hope I did every thing correctly.

hear is the story,

about a week or so ago I noticed a drip coming out of my vent on my afc housing on my 93 d250. After doing forum searches I came to find that my fuel pin o-ring was leaking. The forum I got this information from had step by step directions on how to replace it. This seemed very straight forward so I went and bought a rebuild kit and started disassembling. Every thing was going great took me about 4 hours to replace the fuel pin o-ring, throttle shaft o-ring, and various crush washers. Slapped it all back together and began priming and bleeding. After I recharged the battery 4 times, I came to the realization that something isn’t correct. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Levi Greiner

hear is the story,

about a week or so ago I noticed a drip coming out of my vent on my afc housing on my 93 d250. After doing forum searches I came to find that my fuel pin o-ring was leaking. The forum I got this information from had step by step directions on how to replace it. This seemed very straight forward so I went and bought a rebuild kit and started disassembling. Every thing was going great took me about 4 hours to replace the fuel pin o-ring, throttle shaft o-ring, and various crush washers. Slapped it all back together and began priming and bleeding. After I recharged the battery 4 times, I came to the realization that something isn’t correct. Any ideas? Thanks!
Did you bleed the injector lines correctly? Any air at all in the lines will prevent the engine from running. The air will simply compress and the injectors will not pop.

Edwin
Old 12-16-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for replying Edwin.

I have somewhat ;but, I still have bubbles coming out. It almost seems as if I don’t have much fuel pressure at the injectors. I don’t have a gauge to to check. Lift pump was replaced 200 ish miles ago. I’ve turned it over so many times to the point where no air should be left in the lines.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Thanks for replying Edwin.

I have somewhat ;but, I still have bubbles coming out. It almost seems as if I don’t have much fuel pressure at the injectors. I don’t have a gauge to to check. Lift pump was replaced 200 ish miles ago. I’ve turned it over so many times to the point where no air should be left in the lines.
On the contrary, if you have enough air in the lines then no fuel will be pumped into them. It just pulses back and forth. What you need to is have somebody crank the engine while you crack each line at the injector to bleed the air out. As you work each one and tighten the line that cylinder should start running. Once you have 3 or 4 running the engine will probably run on it's own. Then you can finish bleeding the rest of the lines. Be careful and wear some good gloves because the fuel is under very high pressure and it can cut your skin very easily.

I don't know how deeply you went into the reseal but it's possible you got something wrong internally but if the injector lines are pulsing fuel I would discount that theory.

You need to fill out your signature so we know what you're driving and what mods you've done. Also it's helpful to know what city you live in.

Edwin
Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
When putting the top back on the IP did your back out your fuel screw, or use some fishing line to hold the throttle fulcrum back and out of the way? If you did not then you most likely damaged the fulcrum and the truck will not start due to this.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (12-20-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts

hear is the story,

Didn't see it, but did you manually fill the fuel filter prior to "cranking" ?? Be wary cranking these starters for long periods of time. You will burn them out, especially if they're original to the truck. 25 year old starters don't like being abused, considering they barely move to get these marvels of engineering running.

Look up indexing the throttle lever as well. You can get some really difficult starting issues if it's indexed 1 tooth off.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (12-20-2018)