Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Info on using 2stroke oil in diesel fuel (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/info-using-2stroke-oil-diesel-fuel-326235/)

m37 10-01-2016 06:02 AM

Info on using 2stroke oil in diesel fuel

2-Stroke Oil In Diesel ? A Technical Study

cougar 10-01-2016 09:51 AM

I don't buy it for a second.

deere country 10-01-2016 01:05 PM

I am not surprised at all.

j.fonder 10-01-2016 01:09 PM

There is a great table on lubricity of fuel additives, 2 stroke oil was indeed near the bottom of the list. Top were the biodiesel products. I always look for shell biodiesel

jerseybud 10-01-2016 05:33 PM

200:1 seems low - wasn't the recommendation like 1 ounce to 1 gallon, which would be 1:128

Also, zinc is good in the oil we use in these things, but not in the fuel is what this article is saying?

Wasn't there a paper in the DTR newsletter a few years back that showed some additives were junk but stanadyne and the pennzoil or walmart tc3w was pretty good from a lubricity standpoint?

Is it fair to compare a common rail to a mechanical like the 89-93 6bt?

j.fonder 10-01-2016 05:49 PM

US standard HFRR is 520. At 200:1, 2 stroke reduces fuel to 474 HFRR.

Engine Manufacturers Association recommends an HFRR of less than 460.

Optilube XDP reduces to HFRR of 317. Costs about $3 per 30 gallon tank. Probably the best stuff on the market aside from running say 2% biodiesel.

j_martin 10-03-2016 09:48 AM

Ever get a tank of "bad" fuel.

I run a 28 year old high performance V6 2 cycle engine on my boat. (Merc XR/4) It runs variable oil injection, which will run about 100:1 at idle, and about 45:1 at WOT. I also put about 1:150 oil in the fuel tank. The difference in normal running is negligible, but it might save me from an engine seize between the time of injection failure and alarm and response to said event should it happen.

The same could be said for a little 2 stroke oil in the truck's fuel tank.

I don't normally add 2SO to my diesel fuel, but I do carry a quart of it along with a spare filter and diesel 911 just in case I get another tank of fuel like the one I bought in Wolf Point, MT.

gyman98 10-03-2016 10:44 AM

Ya don't fill up in wolf point! I live about 60miles from there, best to keep moving!

j_martin 10-03-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by gyman98 (Post 3312889)
Ya don't fill up in wolf point! I live about 60miles from there, best to keep moving!

I found that out the hard way. Took 2 tanks of fuel and about $30 in parts and additives to get the engine running right again.

MrFusion 10-03-2016 10:25 PM

I remember reading a lubricity chart on Bob Is The Oil Guy. If I remember correctly Power Service wasn't rated too well. Not the worst but certainly not the best. I believe that Optilube was one of the top rated additives.

Rickcher 10-05-2016 01:49 PM

That article kept saying "modern diesel injection equipment" or "modern diesel engines". I hardly think our engines are considered "modern equipment". There was a study posted on here years ago that put Supertech two stroke oil towards the top of the list, IIRC. I don't remember what test they used though. I'm sure Optilube is better, it's just not as convenient as Supertech. I may try it though.

Rick 12v CTD 10-05-2016 04:38 PM

What some of you guys are probably referring to is this one

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

1320Fastback 10-05-2016 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rickcher (Post 3313027)
That article kept saying "modern diesel injection equipment" or "modern diesel engines". I hardly think our engines are considered "modern equipment". There was a study posted on here years ago that put Supertech two stroke oil towards the top of the list, IIRC. I don't remember what test they used though. I'm sure Optilube is better, it's just not as convenient as Supertech. I may try it though.

I had the same thought when reading it. Kept saying to myself this article really doesn't apply to our engines at all.

KATOOM 10-05-2016 10:35 PM

Hmmm..... Who is this "The Fuel Expert", and why should I consider this credible information?

As for running 2-stroke in my truck, well lets see:

1) I know my truck was built 7 years prior to the switch from LSD to ULSD in 2007.
2) The only fuel system component on my truck that was built after 2007 was the VP. But still, a product originally built for LSD fuel.
3) My truck is NOT modern. Actually by definition, a vehicle has to be within 10 years old to be modern. Older than 10 years, you call them classic. 25 years or older and you have an antique.
4) I drive my truck in America and could care less about diesel fuel lubricity in another county. The EPA has our legislation by the short and curlys.

So yeah, dont use 2-stroke in a truck built after 2007 and this article was not meant for a "classic" Cummins. [laugh]

j.fonder 10-06-2016 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rickcher (Post 3313027)

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3313062)
Hmmm..... Who is this "The Fuel Expert", and why should I consider this credible information?

As for running 2-stroke in my truck, well lets see:

1) I know my truck was built 7 years prior to the switch from LSD to ULSD in 2007.
2) The only fuel system component on my truck that was built after 2007 was the VP. But still, a product originally built for LSD fuel.
3) My truck is NOT modern. Actually by definition, a vehicle has to be within 10 years old to be modern. Older than 10 years, you call them classic. 25 years or older and you have an antique.
4) I drive my truck in America and could care less about diesel fuel lubricity in another county. The EPA has our legislation by the short and curlys.

So yeah, dont use 2-stroke in a truck built after 2007 and this article was not meant for a "classic" Cummins. [laugh]

while I think you gentleman are wise and knowledgeable, i think you're looking at this the wrong way. The HFRR rating of these fluids is a wear rating. Wear occurs in any system no matter how old it is. Therefore, these ratings are relevant even for our systems. Unless the age of our vehicles somehow excludes them from wear...