Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   I finally put my death wobble to death, maybe.. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/i-finally-put-my-death-wobble-death-maybe-281038/)

Trooperthorn 11-23-2010 12:19 AM

I finally put my death wobble to death, maybe...

Short story = check axle u-joints even if hubs are unlocked.

Long story = My 91.5 4x4 has just over 304k miles on it now and over the last 2000 miles or so the death wobble has gotten downright scary at times. In my case the wobble would start after applying super light braking after a stretch of coasting. Sorta like you might do as a long hill eases into a slight corner. It seemed to be coming from the right front and it felt like a combo of tire hop as well as side to side shimmy.

I was pretty sure it was not warped or uneven brake rotors because I have experienced that on my vehicles. My king pins, tie rods, and drag link all seemed tight. I did notice that the driver's side axle u-joint was badly worn, as in no needles in opposing cups, but, since my hubs were not locked I didnt think it would matter.

I did not want to throw money at it as money spent on this pile is money not spent on, say, food, so I have been ignoring it. When the wobble starts a-going, I just hold on for dear life and slow down as quickly as possible. It would go away with heavy braking.

I have read several threads about the death wobble. I have been discouraged by the folks who have replaced seemingly every part in the front end to no avail. I remember from one thread somebody chimed in about axle u-joints. I am sorry I do not remember who in order to give due props, but I had discounted the notion due to the fact that my hubs were not locked when I experience the wobble.

Apparently that 15 or so pounds of outer axle, inner axle, and u-joint does get to spinning under certain situations even when the hubs are not engaged. With the bad u-joint, I am sure that rotating mass is flopping around in there something fierce.

With the forecast for snow, I figured I aught to fix my bad joint, so last night I pulled the left axles out and swapped in the one that was on standby for my crew project. Today it seems I have conquered the wobble beast.

If you read this far and feel like saying, "Duh, I knew that." I will save you the effort just quote the little hammer guy below when you post your reply. Eric

"[duhhh], I knew that"

GIT-R-DONE 11-23-2010 05:26 AM

Glad you were able to find your problem. [whistle]

dzl_damon 11-23-2010 05:36 AM

I remember someone suggested it to me too. I dont' think I had a needle bearing at ALL when I bought it. However, I replaced the drag link, steering box, steering shaft, and all the universals with new wheel bearings rotors and calipers all at the same time... so who knows?

ratherberacin 11-23-2010 10:38 AM

with mine i had a horrible wobble. i did kingpins, axle ujoints, rotors calipers, bearings, sway bar bushings. springs and shocks, drag link and tie rods

one or more of those were the problem. wobble fixed now

Shiny 11-23-2010 01:25 PM

I just bought my '92 4x4 and it had a death wobble. I build hot rods for a living and we call it castor wobble. I replaced the ball/ knuckle steering joint with a borgeson and it made it worse, replaced the draglink and had the front tires balanced and it made it even worse. Then I replaced the axle u-joints and its gone.
Thanks to all the guys who apply their knowledge on here I was able to fix it!

-Shiny

oilcan64 11-23-2010 04:21 PM

i had a bad wobble in my right front when i got to say 60 mph. when i rebuilt the entire front axle, the king pins and u joints were perfectly fine but i replaced them anyways. the outer right front bearing was junk. feel apart in my hand when i took it out. im assuming that had to be my wobble only i havent driven the truck since i did all that work.

glad to hear you fixed your wobble, i know mine was intimidating lol

Trooperthorn 11-30-2010 12:06 AM

Update. After 500 miles or so, no wobble-bobble!