Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   How to (hopefully) prolong a head gasket replacement. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/how-hopefully-prolong-head-gasket-replacement-282132/)

GLHS 12-14-2010 12:32 PM

How to (hopefully) prolong a head gasket replacement.

Truck has been seeping a tiny bit of coolant for the past 4 years on and off at #1 cylinder above the engine oil cooler.

After my last trip it was losing a quart every 1000 miles so I called Mamua Diesel and he suggested I find and use irontite All Weather Seal made by Kwik-Way. It is spelled just like that and is in a white bottle with blue and black letters.

I followed the directions and it worked as advertised. Says it will stop leaks in 2-5 minutes.

Just passing this along. I do not know how long it will last.

I found and bought it at a local Carquest. He did not even know he carried this stuff. Told me "no" on the phone, but I was persistent and looked for myself.

JBradley500 12-14-2010 04:18 PM

im not saying anything about your product or method but i will say one thing. i just recently saw a chevy with a blown intake gasket and they tried to fix it with a bunch of that quick fix stuff and it all collected and hardened in a water port between the head and intake. it all but stopped water flow in that part of the engine. i think using that stuff conservatively is a good idea.

justinsdad 12-14-2010 06:16 PM

I used some stuff called K-W block sealer one time in a toyota with a 22re, worked like a charm, I put about 20k on it with no problems, sold it to a friend and he drove it for another year or two until the frame finally broke.

GLHS 12-14-2010 06:23 PM

I understand what your saying but this is also a seal conditioner that is made to stay in the cooling system.

Mamau diesel said he knew of no ill effects at the recomended dosage.

I have heard that about Bar's which I would never run.

Bencie 12-14-2010 07:41 PM

Well from looking at your signature I'd say your truck is a pretty hard hitter and head gasket issues would happen sooner or later. I would say go ahead and try it and detune your engine some and maybe she'll make it through winter, but I would figure on a new head gasket.

The_Head 12-14-2010 11:08 PM

Will it hurt the heater core?

GLHS 12-15-2010 12:05 AM

No de-tuning.

Did not do this work to not be able to have fun with it.[coffee]

It has been pushing over 40 psi for over 4 years now and is been at 45-48 for the last two.

I forgot to mention the first thing a guy should do is re-tighten your headbolts once a year, never shut it down too hot and never run it hard when cold.

This will all help in prolonging your gasket.

He said it would not stop a leak in a water pump weep hole, so I don't think it will have any affect on a heater core.

If I thought it would plug up anything it should not, I would never have used it to start with.

TLRMAN 12-15-2010 12:24 AM

lol I busted a huge hole in my radiator about 3 years ago. I put some of this stuff in my cooling system. It fixed the leak right away. The following day I drained all my coolant and put fresh in.

a Year later I pulled the head for o-ring job and found no evidence of the stuff at all. The radiator is still holding to this day..

Falcon1 12-15-2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by TLRMAN (Post 2890844)
lol I busted a huge hole in my radiator about 3 years ago. I put some of this stuff in my cooling system. It fixed the leak right away. The following day I drained all my coolant and put fresh in.

a Year later I pulled the head for o-ring job and found no evidence of the stuff at all. The radiator is still holding to this day..

You still using that old radiator? I would of thought you swapped it out by now. I remember when you did it.

SORTIE 12-15-2010 08:13 PM

my truck is steaming out of the head gasket at the aft end of the engine, right in front of the driver's footwell...my tech used a bottle of that stop leak as an alternative to tearing the top half of the engine off...so far so good, but there are horror stories about this stuff collecting in the wrong places