1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

W350 dually fender and tailgate lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 08:16 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
W350 dually fender and tailgate lights not working

I haven't ran my old rig for a few months so I got in this morning and pulled the light switch and noticed my dually fender marker lights weren't working. When I got to work I found the cab light's working but the tailgate and fender lights not. The plate lights were working though. Does anyone know where the ground for those specific lights are located? Thank you
Old 03-04-2020, 07:04 PM

Dang no one? So to better provide information I also need to add that the brake lights, turn signals, and backup lights work. Bu I also noticed the running lights in my headache rack weren't working either. But the turn signals and brake do. So has anyone with a dually had similar issues? I know the fusable link is good as the running lights on the cab and front clip work. I wonder if its at the pigtail where the headache rack ties into the harness at the front of the bed? The only thing is the rear bumper light works. That's the odd thing. Why does the bumper light work but not the bed lights? That's why I feel its a ground issue. The bumper is a RH heavy duty version with an aftermarket plate light that grounds to the bumper and it is grounded to the frame. The bed should have a ground wire correct? It was dark when I got home and I don't think I will have a chance to look over the wiring until the weekend. I was just hoping others could shed light if they had similar issues. To add a side note. About 6wks or so ago I did add LED headlights but that shouldn't have don't anything to the running lights. Odd
Old 03-04-2020, 07:27 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Why do you think it's a ground issue?...Do you have power to the inoperative lights?...If your headache rock is like mine it would have been tied into the factory harness at some point, possibly with a crimped connector which has lost contact at some point...If power exists on any of those lights, then you might have a ground problem......Ben
Old 03-04-2020, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
Why do you think it's a ground issue?...Do you have power to the inoperative lights?...If your headache rock is like mine it would have been tied into the factory harness at some point, possibly with a crimped connector which has lost contact at some point...If power exists on any of those lights, then you might have a ground problem......Ben

I believe its a ground issue because the bumper light is working. The running light wire I piggybacked the wire near the fuel tank to feed the running lights in the headache rack. I guess I could be mistaken but if the bumper light is getting feed through that wire then the bed lights should as well. Hence why I think its a ground issue.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:41 PM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Most likely the headlight switch. If you haul a trailer with multiple clearance lights it wipes out the switch reasonably fast. Dodge offered an overlay harness way back when, but I just used a toggle switch. But my moneys on bad headlight switch..
The following users liked this post:
freight train (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 04:26 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Here's a diagram of my 89 if it will help.

Edwin

The following users liked this post:
freight train (03-05-2020)