1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dodge ram or amphicar??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge ram or amphicar??

ok,I know this is a common problem but I need some advice.
I completly replaced the body on my truck including the cab. All new paint, no patches on the cab roof only the floor,new windshield and seal.
This thing is leaking! I can see the water on the first 4-5 inches of the seal at the driver side bottom corner, right by the dash which is making it`s way down to the floor and puddling. When I push the seal against the window the water seems to be coming out of the chanel in the seal that the windshield rides in. I first had the new windshield installed with the old seal, it leaked. So I had a new window reinstalled with a new seal, STILL leaking!
Is it the window guys fault? He claims to have done tons of windshields with the rubber seal and never had one leak. Is there such a thing as different grades of seals? Any and all help is much appreciated!!
I need to figure this out so I can get the interior buttoned up and get this truck on the road!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I can tell you right now that Dodge used a full bead of sealer all the way around the windshield.

Tell your window guy to fix his problem. It needs sealer.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM

Urethane?? Is the sealant supposed to be on the cab side of the seal or the glass side?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Confirm first... Tape up the entire seal from body to glass, water test, than tell the guy to try again.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I told the installers of my windshield that I would not accept ANY leaks, and to take time and do it right the first time. They gave me a lifetime no leak warranty.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 PM

it will definetly be made right! I am looking to the allmighty DTR for some advice so I can be done with this arrogant D&%#bag for a glass guy
Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow we !!! I just went through this with mine . Make sure you
a use Butyl sealant NOT urethane cannot be stressed enough .
b seal in the gasket around the metal window frame by applying lots of butyl in rear section of gasket / metal frame . as gasket is pushed around metal frame butyl seals gasket and frame
c apply bead of butyl in window gasket where glass goes as glass is slid in seals glass (main Issues with leaks )

d seal upper corners with butyl after window and gasket is in as there is a small corner pocket that allows water in though it is designed to dribble down outside and seep inside and out at bottom exterior of seal

make sure seam sealer between upper out side window frame and roof lip is still good any cracks rip it out and seal it again with seam sealer
his is often over looked as it only is 3/8 inch wide with window gasket in place mine was the paint shop was not happy .

drink beer while glass guy curses old trucks