Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Hood release (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/hood-release-32909/)

Stevie G 10-13-2003 07:13 PM

Hood release

My release cable is either broken or unhooked.
Any ideas on how to open the hood without trashing the brand new grill?

Craig93 10-13-2003 09:13 PM

Re:Hood release

Man that is a bummer...maybe that is why my grill is cracked in that spot....I just had a quick look at what is visible from underneath...looks like only the secondary latch...have you tried giving that a poke...or sticking a long skinny arm up there.... ::)

Good luck...

Stevie G 10-13-2003 09:26 PM

Those pretty (Brand new) black finned pieces won't let an arm in there.
I'm about ready to drill a hole through the top and open it that way.
Then just weld up the hole.
the hood is the one piece on the front end that wasn't replaced.

Alec 10-13-2003 09:37 PM

I just looked at my truck --

I am pretty sure that if you had another truck to "practice" on with the hood open, you could bend a piece of welding rod into a hook that would slip through the grill, through the hole for the saftey, behind the main latch, grab onto the release arm, and pull it open.

I know it sounds a little crazy, but it seems like it would be a damage free solution.

Good luck!!!

Alec

Stevie G 10-13-2003 09:45 PM

Anyone in Dunnellon/Ocala area I can look at?

carl20320 10-13-2003 10:35 PM

Good luck. I tried for an hour and finally ended up cutting out a section of my cracked grille. :'( I wish you the best of luck. I do wish I had that original grille. It is so much better made than the knock offs out there now.

Carl

Lil Dog 10-13-2003 11:44 PM

How much cable is left???

My 89 broke off at the firewall and I just cut the plastic casing on the cable and got a few strands with a pair of vicegrips.?

The cable runs along the drivers fender and around behind the headlight. If you could get through from the bottom you might be able to pull the whole cable assembly down to get some of that cable in the sheath.

J-eh

Stevie G 10-14-2003 09:24 AM

pretty sure it's unhooked at the latch.
Pulls back nice and smooth like it always did.
Just....nothing happens.
Was working fine for a couple of weeks and then stopped working.

Alec 10-14-2003 09:24 AM

If you wanted to look at another truck to make a tool, I don't think it would have to be diesel?

If you think it would help, I could take a picture and make some measurements for you . . .

Alec

Stevie G 10-14-2003 09:27 AM

That would be great.
THANKS!

Alec 10-14-2003 02:37 PM

It is about 5 1/4 inches to the far side of the lever that the cable attaches to from the edge of the hole for the safety.

Alec 10-14-2003 02:39 PM

Sorry the pics aren't better. Let me know if you need more.

Looks like you will need to slide under the cable housing, back up behind the latch, hook onto where the cable attaches, and pull to the driver's side.

wannadiesel 10-14-2003 03:10 PM

All dressed up for picture day, Alec? :D

Stevie G 10-14-2003 03:44 PM

Thanks a bunch!!
Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

Alec 10-14-2003 05:28 PM

Well Dave, I'm still hoping I'll figure out how to quit my day job some day . . .

Wise-guy. [laugh]