1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Here I go!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here I go!!!

Okay, got my 'new' toy and found this forum through a little research. It's gonna be a long battle for the $$ to build this thing up but it'll be fun!

1992 CTD, 5 speed (getrag?), dually with dual exhaust (first to go), aluminum runnig boards (2nd to go), head liner falling out (needs fixed SOON), 6 brand new tires on factory wheels (soon to change also).

1st ?....is it cool to get rid of the dually bed and tires?
(I want about 4"s of lift and 35s, I don't haul
enough to really need the duals and don't want to
spend the cash for 6 wheels and tires!)

2nd?...I already have the gauges (cheap and will also get
replaced, too), and am ready to start with the
performance mods but my pump leaks like a
sieve, can I get the kit and rebuild it myself?
I am a capable wrench on gas FI so hopefully
its not too much more difficult.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can, like I said here I go!!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by matchew
1992 CTD, 5 speed (getrag?),
Most likely, unless someone changed it.

with dual exhaust
This needs some detailed explanation, unless it has a splitter and stacks.

..is it cool to get rid of the dually bed and tires?
Although possible, there is more to changing over to singles than simply swapping wheels.

my pump leaks like a
sieve, can I get the kit and rebuild it myself?
Determine where the leak is at, first; as, most common pump leaks are fixable without pump removal.

A common leak point is at the top end of the skinny fuel line that proceeds from the KSB solenoid to a point on the topside of the pump.

There are a set of O-rings on a valve that this line fastens over that, when they start leaking, they will pour the fuel, and it will look like it is coming from a dozen different places.

Someone on here has a real good explanation of this repair, and it is probably in the stickies at the top of our page.

Also, WELCOME to DTR.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!

First, I personally like the looks of 1st Gen dually's. You can get spacers to run wider tires in the rear. I know guys in the 2nd ans 3rd Gens do it a lot!

Trust me. Working on the CTD is like working on a gas lawn mower compared to EFI garbage. I have a 90 F150 EFI that is a piece of crud. I have worked on it for 6 months before buying the CTD. Very easy to mess with and requires 1 wire to run.

Also, if and when you do a intake upgrade, DO NOT GET A K$N. The BHAF upgrade in the sticky is much better and filters better than the K&N.

Welcome again! The way down the slippery slope is like running a toboggan down a rocky mountain. The toboggan on the modding is made of money, that faster you go down the hill, the faster the toboggan wears away.

Jon
Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Far as I know, the truck is stock with the exception of the exhaust. I cut out the 'duals' out today (there was a Y-pipe, no muffler and they exited at the rear wheels. I like th sound with no muffler and no just need to get a new straight pipe built.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Found the leak...it's the vacuum pump! Not sure if that's better than a fuel leak cause I still want to do the pump mods. If I buy the seal from Pete, do I need his install tools also?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

Who is Pete, and what seals are you referring to?

If the injector pump isnt leaking, I'd leave it alone. You can tweak the pump at any time. 90% of the time, you arent using any more power than a stock truck, anyway.

The vacuum pump seal kit is available at Cummins for <$10.

Daniel
Old 09-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would get the kit from Pete, his tools and video make the job stupid proof. His guarantee is that if you can't get the job done with his kit, then ship him the kit and the pump and he'll fix it for you.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Ordered my parts today...seal and the new carbon fiber vanes...should be delivered on thursday (Ihope!). I can't wait to start driving my new toy!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Got my pump kit AND 3200 spring today after some phone calls (no one seams to know what we want, do they?) I got the spring for $8.00 (SCORE!!) and the kit was $23.00 or something like that. Now just gotta get to it!