Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Heat and cold starting??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/heat-cold-starting-127007/)

TractorMike 12-07-2006 10:25 PM

Heat???

Hey ya'll. I was out driving my truck this evening, We had out first snow and I was testing out my new tires (BF Goodrich mud Terrains) and while I was out the roads turned in to ice and the temp is down to bout 16F right now (down from 25F when I started out), My problem is that when it gets this cold my truck will not heat worth a edit! So I was wondering, Is there any way to get more heat? A piece of cardboard in front of the radiator? When I was driving around the temp gauge was on the 2nd white line so it was running pretty cool. Any Idea's? Also I had to turn my truck over twice before it started and it was 25, Is this ok or it is my 310,000+ miles talking? The truck was not plugged in. Also, I'd like to know more about this high idle thing and if my truck has this? Sorry for the long post. Mike

flashgordon 12-07-2006 11:45 PM

Don't now about the high idle thing[eyecrazy] but have you flushed you heater core? It may be full of trash.

putting some sort of wind dam in front of the radiator would help also.

You thermostat my need to be replace to.......cummins t-stat

JD730 12-08-2006 06:08 AM

My one truck has the same problem, only gets luke warm in the cab, blocking the radiator doesn't help either. Thermostat is a pretty new one from cummins.

I think my next step is to flush the heater core, measuring the temp drop on the heater lines, theres hardly any temp difference between the 2 lines and they are hot enough to make decent heat.

The other truck will heat you out of the cab, which is great when your plowing snow.

Trebor 12-08-2006 06:32 AM

Could also be debris in the heater/ac box. Here is a link to fix that problem:
http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...owtoshow;id=45

andyr354 12-08-2006 11:35 AM

also check the vacuum operated valve in the upper heater core hose. Make sure when you switch to heat is is opening.

wannadiesel 12-08-2006 07:10 PM

Unless your truck is an '89 you do not have a throttle lock for high idling.

BearKiller 12-08-2006 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 1243136)
Unless your truck is an '89 you do not have a throttle lock for high idling.

My engine is 89.

Please explain this throttle-lock; what is it; where is it; and, how do I hook it up??

Thanks.

wannadiesel 12-09-2006 08:44 AM

It's a throttle control mounted uder the dash, it pulls on the accelerator pedal. The '89's had them factory installed. You can get one at NAPA and put it on if you want. Or do like most folks and use a snow brush wedged between the seat and the pedal.

pred 12-09-2006 10:09 AM

EVen before i installed a rad muff, I could cook myself in the cab, The engine would be 179-180*, but therm would not open, I agree with others about air flo, or heater box issues, or vac lines, Check the temp going in and out of heater core!
Even with the rad muff, at idle, it took 2 hrs to go from 150 to 180* at idle when 28* out. when out in snow, was your truck working? or where you just idleing about?
Peter.

flashgordon 12-09-2006 10:34 AM

This is something that i just found out on a "new t-stat, no heat problem" that i had.

This is for a 2nt gen 12 valve but i think the t-stat and housing are the same.....I think[eyecrazy]

In the t-stat housing there is a rubber square gasket, that the t-stat go's into and seals. Your new t-stat will not come with this gasket and normally it will stay in the housing. this on didn't and it took me a while to fig out why[duhhh]

This is not the tube type gasket that gos thro the front, eng hook,..... it is on the t-stat housing side.
With out this gasket the t-stat just moves back and forth, letting the coolant leak by the close t-stat, cause no heat condition in the winter!

Not only does it have heat now, but the gauge stays steady now(After I got all the air out, that is[laugh] )

ofcmarc 12-09-2006 12:36 PM

Depending on where you are and whether or not it gets cold (below 0*F) and stays cold, just take the fan off and keep an eye on your temp gauge. I do this in addition to covering the radiator (grille inserts) When we get a heatwave (above 0*) happens I really have to watch the temp gauge without a fan and the grille inserts covering the radiator.

BearKiller 12-09-2006 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 1243737)
It's a throttle control mounted uder the dash, it pulls on the accelerator pedal. The '89's had them factory installed. You can get one at NAPA and put it on if you want. Or do like most folks and use a snow brush wedged between the seat and the pedal.

You mean just a plain old throttle-cable, like a choke-cable??

Easy enough; I have had one on the "to do" list for quite a while, now.

I even have it picked out; it comes from a wrecker supply place, and is Vernier adjustable by turning the knob.

Thanks.

wannadiesel 12-10-2006 08:49 AM

That one would do nicely. :)