1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Head gasket replacement , block clean up advise?

Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys!

I just picked up the head from the machine shop. They took off .010 to get it flat. Since this is the first time the head has been off, am I still able to use the regular head gasket or do I have to go to the thicker (.010) one? e
Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I just replaced the head on my truck,

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-329169/page5/

I cleaned the old gasket off the block using a scraper blade that I ground to a razor edge using my angle grinder, also used a razor blade gasket scraper that I use to clean windows with.

I used 2 of the longer head bolts as guide pins so the head would not slip on the gasket.

Yes I also stuff rags into the cylinder bores and coolant ports,

Although I tried to keep the pushrod openings clean, I also took the side cover off to replace the gasket where I cleaned all the debris.

If I am going to be out of sight on any engine I will tape all of the openings using painters tape.

I had installed the intake on a LN800 ready to Install the carb after lunch and when I came back since I always recheck my work, and found someone had dumped a hand full of grade-8 lockwashers down the intake port.
Jim
Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I had installed the intake on a LN800 ready to Install the carb after lunch and when I came back since I always recheck my work, and found someone had dumped a hand full of grade-8 lockwashers down the intake port.
Jim
WTH?!? You must work with some messed up people.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
WTH?!? You must work with some messed up people.

Well, Jim does like to **** people off, from time to time.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Well, Jim does like to **** people off, from time to time.

If they're ****** off then smash me in the mouth. Putting washers in the intake is cowardly and just wrong.

Having met Jim I doubt he could P*** anyone off. The S#!+ must have been a mentally ill snowflake.

Edwin
Old 03-12-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by qmikep
Thanks for the help guys!

I just picked up the head from the machine shop. They took off .010 to get it flat. Since this is the first time the head has been off, am I still able to use the regular head gasket or do I have to go to the thicker (.010) one? e
Since no body answered you, I’ll jump in. Yes, you should install the .010” over genuine Cummins gasket # 3283337 because now your valves are .010” closer to your pistons. Is it mandatory, no, not unless your going to run higher than stock rpm. If you had the head completely rebuilt with new valve grind etc etc, then the machine shop would have sunk your valves into the head & you could of run the stock thickness 3283335 gasket without any word, even at high rpm.

The theory on the smoother the head & engine block surface is, the better the adhesion of the gasket material to the cast material. You can read all the talk of different materials mentioned etc etc but this doesn’t apply to your “cast iron” head & block. Apples to oranges. Working the block with a stone or sand paper also helps lesson the gasket fire ring wear groove around the cylinders. The groves will lower the crush factor of the new gaskets fire ring, which raises the chance of cylinder compression pushing past the fire ring seal & the chance of losing another head gasket. With a ton of high hp builds under our belt, we had great success doing things this way.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar mark
Since no body answered you, I’ll jump in. Yes, you should install the .010” over genuine Cummins gasket # 3283337 because now your valves are .010” closer to your pistons. Is it mandatory, no, not unless your going to run higher than stock rpm. If you had the head completely rebuilt with new valve grind etc etc, then the machine shop would have sunk your valves into the head & you could of run the stock thickness 3283335 gasket without any word, even at high rpm.

The theory on the smoother the head & engine block surface is, the better the adhesion of the gasket material to the cast material. You can read all the talk of different materials mentioned etc etc but this doesn’t apply to your “cast iron” head & block. Apples to oranges. Working the block with a stone or sand paper also helps lesson the gasket fire ring wear groove around the cylinders. The groves will lower the crush factor of the new gaskets fire ring, which raises the chance of cylinder compression pushing past the fire ring seal & the chance of losing another head gasket. With a ton of high hp builds under our belt, we had great success doing things this way.
Anytime you increase combustion pressures you need to give special attention to the head gasket sealing prep. So I agree with Mark. My experience with head gaskets has all been done with Gasoline engines which have substantially lower combustion pressures. With diesels you're probably going to be better off following Marks advice.

Edwin
Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 PM

Mark, would you consider having a 3200rpm spring and a standard gasket detrimental? I'm concerned that the .010 over gasket could cause harder cold starts?

I presumed the shop( who has a good reputation) was going to provide me with a print out or something of everything done. They just verbally said they took .010 off the head and that I would be fine with the standard gasket.

Thanks for your insight!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
3200 rpm is right at the max of safe rpm with stock valve springs. Now your valves are .010” closer to your pistons than before. If you are going to run the 60# over HD valve springs, I’d say 100% safe at any rpm & boost level to run std gasket. If you are going to run stock valve springs, specially ones with higher miles on them...go with the .010” over gasket for sure.
I suggest a min of .060” valve to piston clearance for up to 4000rpm & more than that at higher rpm.
So you know .010” isn’t going to cause you any major grief starting in cold weather. Hell I run a .020” gasket & live in the great white north.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM

3200 rpm is right at the max of safe rpm with stock valve springs. Now your valves are .010” closer to your pistons than before. If you are going to run the 60# over HD valve springs, I’d say 100% safe at any rpm & boost level to run std gasket. If you are going to run stock valve springs, specially ones with higher miles on them...go with the .010” over gasket for sure.
I suggest a min of .060” valve to piston clearance for up to 4000rpm & more than that at higher rpm.
So you know .010” isn’t going to cause you any major grief starting in cold weather. Hell I run a .020” gasket & live in the great white north.
Thanks Mark. Yes I am installing the #60 over intake and exhaust springs.
In that case, from a performance aspect, would I be better going with the standard gasket?

In my mind, wouldn't my compression ratio be a tiny bit higher, possibly resulting in a more efficient engine?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
For the blocks deck in frame, the correct way to clean is to pull dowels & with a flat stone (type you would sharpen a chisel with) work the block in long strokes with the course side 1st for approx 20 mins, then with fine side of stone for another 20 mins or so. If you can’t find a new stone, then you can use a perfectly flat piece of hardwood block (chunk of steel works too) & some 120 grit, then move on to some 400 to finish up. Chase all threads, vacuum out all area’s after & clean with brake cleaner. Re-install new dowels & your good to go.
For the stone, would aluminum oxide or silicon carbide be better?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
For the stone, would aluminum oxide or silicon carbide be better?
Anybody?