1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HE351 vs. HX35?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HE351 vs. HX35?

Is there enough improvement to justify swapping an HX35 for an HE351 on my 1st gen?

I realize I would have to make a new downpipe. Would I have to reclock the compressor housing, or is there any way to make it match up with the stock intercooler pipe as is? Wastegate situation? Other stuff I don't know about?

This is my daily driver and has the mods listed in my signature.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawson
Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
yes I think it is worth it. I honestly think you'd really like the he351 on a 5spd truck. It spools like RIGHT NOW. I like it quite a bit andmy truck is an auto.

Yes you have to clock the compressor housing. and it will work with the stock intercooler pipe (at least I've read of others doing it) if you do but it won't line up right and you'll lose use of the wastegate if you go that route.

There are ways to retain use of the wastegate. That's how I did it. You will need to make a new downpipe and get the proper flange and if you want to retain use of the wastegate you'll definitely need to make a new intercooler pipe.

If you want more info on the swap I can do a write-up I'm sure.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM

i loved mine untill i melted a piston cause i was bound and determined to not lose a race. i did this swap and i loved it.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM

You guys talking about the CW or the VE?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM

HE351CW...Thanks for the replies. Any more thoughts?

Dawson
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM

They came off a 325hp stock engine vs. a 215hp stock engine. The HO's didn't smoke at stock levels, so it must be supplying the air well. I have one and can't wait untill all the projects are done and I can try it. I'm told they don't choke the engine like the Hy35W will, but they spool just as fast with the same size inlet (must have some flow differences). Even guys with earlier 3rd gens use them as an upgrade. I've read good experiences with the 1st gen's cause the VE pump fuels hard down low, and the turbo lights quick.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM

The he351 has a 7 blade 60mm extended tip compressor wheel. The hx-35 will have a 54mm 7 blade, or 56mm 8 blade wheel. Both turbos have a 60mm turbine, but the wastegate and exhaust outlet on the 351 is much better.

As far as supporting 325 hp on a 12 valve, maybe at low rpms, but its not gonna keep temps cool up high.

All in all, 351s are what I would consider an updated version of the 35/40 hybrid.

Clocking them is simple. Just gotta remove a couple small roll pins.

If one were to make a wastegate actuator that opened the wastegate at low loads (you dont need 20 psi making 75 hp at 2800rpm) you could get killer economy out of one too...

Just my thoughts on this turbo...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Benjamin b2
i loved mine untill i melted a piston cause i was bound and determined to not lose a race. i did this swap and i loved it.

Take ur foot off the floor

Should mod ur truck more like mine next time.....
Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 AM

ive compared hx-35, he 351 and 35/40 hybrid. the 351 cools egts best of the 3. iwas very impressed with it and the power increase vs the 35 was noticable. i can run 80 mph at 2400 rpm empty 12-14psi boost get 18+ mpg. big injectors. pump almost maxed.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM

Yeah i love my he351 too. It was a cheap and easy install. It definately cools very well surprisingly and spools extremely fast. I had an hy35 on my truck right before i went to the he351, and the he351 spools just as quick as the hy, but cools much better and is good for more boost. The he351 is good for at least 40 lbs of boost. I've hit that on mine and it has been fine. I reclocked the housings and made a bracket and a spring to run my wastegate off drive pressure so it opens around 32 lbs. I can keep it shut if i put a turnbuckle in place of the spring. Just cruisin at 65mph, My rpms are at about 2000, and about 9 or 10 lbs of boost and between 650-750 degrees on egts depending on the grade. With my stock h1c goin at that speed, it was pushin about 5 lbs of boost and the egts were between 850 and 900.

So the he351 is definately a great upgrade and it will be a little better than the hx35 and will spool quicker. Also the he351 has a 4" exhaust outlet.

The way i look at it is If a 325+hp 3rd gen can run these turbos with a chip and other stuff and be pushin 40lbs and be fine then its a pretty good turbo, and it will run great on your 1st gen, and you'll love it.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
also, despite what people might think my mileage went up a fair bit after I went to the he351/4" exhaust over stock exhaust and the h1c with 14cm housing.

Apparently guys have made over 500hp on their 3rd gens with this turbo. I don't know what egts would be like, I imagine very high but still...

I also read (and I don't know for sure if it's true or not?) that the comp wheel for the he351 is the same comp wheel as the super40. The difference between the 2 turbos is in the exhaust side of course.
Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I also read that even though the ex/ housing is a 9cm it's not as bad as someone might think because it's not a divided housing. I read also that because it's not divided it acts like something closer to a 12cm housing. I don't know how it would work like that but oh well. I understand the point being made there but I don't know if it works that way in real life. I don't know how they calculate the area for the exhaust housing.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Matt
Take ur foot off the floor

Should mod ur truck more like mine next time.....
hey i won, and i still have a dodge cummins to drive. im upset because the power steering pump went out here at college, in the 93 and its alittle hard to drive on campus. ill have you that head when i get it off. maybe have you port my turbo, manifold, and head while your at it. that 351 was makin some 47lbs of boost at 110mph full throttle.

And do you know what?, i got to go to college to.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM

and thats all i have to say about that.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 AM

Better start saving ur pennies and eating mac & cheese.

Ur gonna need some $$$ parts

Bigger turbo
camshaft
o-ringing
real injectors......

Did I miss anything?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick 12v CTD
also, despite what people might think my mileage went up a fair bit after I went to the he351/4" exhaust over stock exhaust and the h1c with 14cm housing.

Apparently guys have made over 500hp on their 3rd gens with this turbo. I don't know what egts would be like, I imagine very high but still...

I also read (and I don't know for sure if it's true or not?) that the comp wheel for the he351 is the same comp wheel as the super40. The difference between the 2 turbos is in the exhaust side of course.
Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I also read that even though the ex/ housing is a 9cm it's not as bad as someone might think because it's not a divided housing. I read also that because it's not divided it acts like something closer to a 12cm housing. I don't know how it would work like that but oh well. I understand the point being made there but I don't know if it works that way in real life. I don't know how they calculate the area for the exhaust housing.
The highest dynos I have seen are 550rwhp in a commonrail. There are a few out there. It would be super hot but possible. There are a half dozen dynos out there showing that going from an hx35 or he341 to the he351cw is worth an extra 50hp if you have excess fuel.

I can confirm that the he351 comp wheel and the super hx40 comp wheel are the same. Both in person and by looking up the holset part numbers.

I and many others will say that it is the perfect street turbo that you can find cheap, especialy for a first gen with limited rpm. You won't be king of the dyno or racetrack but for a daily driver it can't be beat.

Quick Reply: HE351 vs. HX35?