1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Griffin Radiator Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:17 AM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Griffin Radiator Test

A few months ago I put in a Griffin radiator. It is a large as core as they could do. A couple weeks ago I got to take it for a test. It was close to 100 degrees, good headwind and grossing around 24,500 pulling my gooseneck trailer. I kept boost around 12psi and EGTs were 1100 or less, so the truck wasnt being pushed from a power standpoint. I had to turn the AC off to keep the engine temp from climbing past 210 degrees. IMO the Griffin doesnt cool much if any better than a good clean OEM radiator. Considering the benefits and draw backs of the two materials, heres my conclusion. Copper is almost twice as conductive as aluminum, Dodge used thin tubes to transfer heat efficiently, downside is the lower 1/3 of the tubes get plugged over time. Additionally the material used to attach the fins tend to not transfer heat very well. Aluminum is easier to work with, its stronger and lighter allowing for larger tube sizes and brazing makes more efficient transfer from tube to fin. However, all those benefits are marginalized because aluminum is only half as efficient as copper. Consider cheap wire is aluminum because it works enough, but is cheap. Premium wire is copper, costs more but is much more efficient. Same applies to radiators.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:26 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
The usual case is for metals that are more conductive of electricity are also more conductive of heat. Unless you're dealing with superconductors which is a whole different realm of physics.

Edwin
Old 07-05-2020, 07:53 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
I think its safe to say trucks rated for 24,500# gross have larger radiators than a 1stgen Dodge.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 PM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
IIRC you have the auto tranny in your truck, and as has been stated in several threads the stock torque converter on these trucks leaves alot to be desired. New they were marginal and at 26+ years old the efficiency leaves alot to be desired if you are going to actually use the truck as it should be. New torque converter, change to a 47rh or convert to a manual are the options. IMHO the manual is the way to go, but in you part of the country maybe you can get the torque converter or do the 47 rh swap cheaper.
I went through the same thing on my 92 last year and getting a parts truck with all the extra little goodies for the 5 speed swap was my best option and I do not regret doing it at all.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
I think its safe to say trucks rated for 24,500# gross have larger radiators than a 1stgen Dodge.
The griffin is about 30% larger, but doesnt seem to cool any better than a smaller OEM unit.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by nonrev
IIRC you have the auto tranny in your truck, and as has been stated in several threads the stock torque converter on these trucks leaves alot to be desired. New they were marginal and at 26+ years old the efficiency leaves alot to be desired if you are going to actually use the truck as it should be. New torque converter, change to a 47rh or convert to a manual are the options. IMHO the manual is the way to go, but in you part of the country maybe you can get the torque converter or do the 47 rh swap cheaper.
I went through the same thing on my 92 last year and getting a parts truck with all the extra little goodies for the 5 speed swap was my best option and I do not regret doing it at all.
Its a Getrag trans.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (07-07-2020)