Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   gov spring kit (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/gov-spring-kit-61657/)

rebal 02-19-2005 06:20 PM

gov spring kit install ??

i have read the tech section on installing the 3200 rpm spring in the VE pump and last night i ordered 1 ...I would like to know from those who have installed one is it a fairly strait forward install or am I in for any suprises once i get it apart?and how long will it take?I am a fairly good mechanic and own every tool sears has and then some if that helps any[redface]

edwinsmith 02-19-2005 08:18 PM

Do you have a left handed monkey wrench?

:D

BigBully 02-19-2005 08:25 PM

Its not the Funnest job in the world but its not all that bad and really helps if you have small hands. Getting the new spring back in place is the hardest part.

rebal 02-20-2005 12:08 AM

i have a left and right handed monkey wrench and 2 widgets

Monty 02-20-2005 01:47 PM

Its pretty straight forward as others mentioned. The main thing to remember is keep things clean! A little dirt in the pump can do alot of damage.

John H 02-20-2005 07:54 PM

Re: gov spring kit install ??

Originally posted by rebal
i have read the tech section on installing the 3200 rpm spring in the VE pump and last night i ordered 1 ...I would like to know from those who have installed one is it a fairly strait forward install or am I in for any suprises once i get it apart?and how long will it take?I am a fairly good mechanic and own every tool sears has and then some if that helps any[redface]
When I did mine, I followed the instructions posted by Bushy. The only thing I did wrong was to forget to back out the fuel screw before I tried to fit it back together. It won't go back together unless you do that - trust me!. However, I measured the stick out of the fuel screw, before I backed it out, and then everything went OK. Taking it real slow, took about 3 hours, but there again, I took digital pictures of everything, while it was coming apart (OK so I'm anal). That was invaluable.

John

Bushy 02-21-2005 01:31 AM

[laugh] [laugh]....John, you did it right...you took your time bud....
The biggest problem a new guy will have is, quite literally, the nervous factor....honest.
Aside from that you should watch the following things...
Make careful note of the current screw depths/protrusion so you can duplicate them when you do the reinstall...
Next, make sure you look closely at the index marks on the throttle shaft and the "tick marked" plate when you remove the large 8mm hex allen cap screw that holds the throttle rod/assembly in place...
Next and most irritating is the little "top hat" thingy in the pump. .... it can be a bit springy and want to get away on you if you're not careful.
Other than that, it's not bad at all....just take your time..

pb....aka: bushy....

BigBully 02-21-2005 08:16 AM

Ya might want to think about Getting a Throttle shaft Bushing while your at it. Mine always leaked at Startup and I put a new one in when I done the spring and No more leaks :)

John H 02-21-2005 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Bushy
[Next, make sure you look closely at the index marks on the throttle shaft and the "tick marked" plate when you remove the large 8mm hex allen cap screw that holds the throttle rod/assembly in place...
pb....aka: bushy....

Aaaah! Forgot about that. That was the ONE photograph where the focus was blurred. I made an educated guess (actually a WAG) where I thought the tick was. Thank goodness I got it right.

John

Bushy 02-22-2005 01:12 AM

Yup, for future reference the tick mark on the little shaft/stub almost always lines up with what you'd describe as the 10:00 and 4:00 position on the tick marked plate. Course the little teeth on the index "gear" are pretty small so just one "tooth" off can mean no top end throttle or one WILD RIDE !!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....ya gotta luv livin on the edge don't ya ;)

pastor bob...