1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Goerend 47rh Won't go into reverse. Help!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerend 47rh Won't go into reverse. Help!

Hey guys, its been awhile and I'm in a bind. I recently acquired a 92 LE W250 with a fresh Goerend 47rh. The tranny has less than 2k on it. Ive never had any problems with it until now. I parked it for a night (very cold night) and when I went to back out in the morning it wouldnt move. AT first I thought the transfer case was in neutral but its not. It goes forward effortlessly. When in reverse, it acts like its in neutral. Ive had a friend cycle the gear selector while I looked at the linkage and nothing looked to be in a bind etc. I moved the selector on the trans with my hand and it clicks into the reverse position like it is supposed to. But it doesnt do anything. If you really hit the throttle then it kind of tries to move. I checked the fluid in neutral and it registered about perfect on the dipstick. My OD is run off of a floor dimmer switch and the lock up is on a toggle switch. I wouldnt think that these would have anything to do with getting into reverse but I could be wrong?? Would a shorted wire cause this? I also wouldnt think the filter would be clogged already but i suppose thats possible. Any other suggestions? I'm going back out to recheck the ATF. Thanks a bunch in advance
Dan
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm dealing with what sounds like the exact same problem in my 93. If you put the truck in neutral on the column does it appear as if the truck is in a forward gear? Like it moves forward slowly? My problem is discussed here
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...p-t258716.html
If it sounds the same let me know and I'll tell you what the shop told me
Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Well every other gear seems to be in the correct place. It feels like reverse isn't engaging all the way but is partially
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM

All my forward gears worked fine - reverse wouldn't go in. It would sit there and bog town like it was trying to go into reverse but never would. Local tranny shops initial explanation was that the clutch packs were toast. We will see however - it's only been there for an hour or so
Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 PM

IMO it kinda sounds like the rear roller clutch is broke aka(sprag) mine did this on a 727 that i had.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 PM

IMO it kinda sounds like the rear roller clutch is broke aka(sprag) mine did this on a 727 that i had.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Torque flites have done this for years, Its a band, the Low and Reverse band....NAPA makes a flexible one that you can slide right in without taking the trans apart. But if 1st gear works, and doesn't slip then thats not the problem.

But if Goerend built it, why not call him ?

If it has 1st gear, its not the L-R band.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM

really i have had two 727's that broke low reverse band and still had 1st the only time the lr band is aplied is when you manualy shift in to first gear.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM

yea thats what i meant... it will work if you put it in D, I figured he had already tried manual forward gears because he's having trans trouble.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Forward gears work fine. I'll have to call goerend tomorrow. I do not want to pull this trans..... thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming!

Just another thought, as far as bad clutch packs, why would it work flawlessly than not at all
Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Something could of just broke, Theres so much stupid stuff that can brake inside a transmission
Old 12-14-2009, 05:49 PM

If a clutch pack is bad 1st gear will slip also did you buy the trans or a truck with it in there if so i would think the waranty would be void but i have never bought anything from them hope the will help you out.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM

My best friend bought the trans and I helped him with the swap. He died about a month ago and I'm buying the pickup from his parents. Just talked to a desk person and everyone is gone for the day. They should be calling me back tomorrow. Forward gears are not slipping at all. (I've only tried first though). It's still his Dad's pickup for a few more days so hopefully they will honor the warranty. Now if theyd just come to Kansas to fix it......
Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 PM

I'd bet the clutches are stuck .. this is the same thing that happened to me. First I lost reverse - Neutral was doing the same thing your neutral is doing. Then I drove it in D to about 30mph which broke them free via a crashing noise This freed up Reverse but the forward gears slip 1-2-D.

Previous to this my tranny had never slipped, never shifted hard, always perfect and 31k since build rebuilt with a shift kit and new internals. Nothing bad in the tranny pan not even burnt oil or excess shavings.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 PM

This is the truck and this was my friend.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...er.php?u=74199

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goerend 47rh Won't go into reverse. Help!