1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getting ready for a road trip

Old 05-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Getting ready for a road trip

It looks like I'll be making a road trip next month. It'll be a week long 3000+ mile run. My truck was retired from daily driver status about 10 years ago and has only been run for occasional truck-necessary duties since then. It's pretty rare that the engine is running for more than 30 minutes at a time.

I've been putting it through the paces lately. My parents lost their car on Mother's Day when a guy blew a red light. I dropped my daily driver at their place and put my truck back into service.

The recent work on my truck includes replacing the steering box, column coupler, drag link, idler arm, transmission service, oil change, air filter, fuel filter, wipers, and I'll be going through the valves this weekend. While I'm at it, I'll check the diff fluid.
A brake booster and master cylinder went on not too long ago.

Tires look good and the spare is okay as well. I'll likely toss my electric repair kit in the truck and there's always a basic tool set on board.

What am I overlooking? What else would you guys do before making a late June trip across the deserts of the southwest? I'll be heading from DFW to San Diego, up to LA, and back across AZ and NM on rural roads.

Obviously, a water stash and good eye on the fuel gauge is necessary.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Hoses -flexible, but not soft.
Belts - no cracks. B/u belt, the non a/c version just in case.
Filters - fuel carry two for that long of a trip. Oil, carry one just in case.
Fluids - I would have some of all of it. Maybe maybe even a small emergency tank of diesel in the bed. 5gal?
Flash lights
Warning indicators
Red Bull
Camera
Cell phone

Good luck. Enjoy the journey.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
The is a darn good list, I would say the only other thing..spare tire.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I like the list, but would add some food, sun screen and flip flops.
I also always bring a sleeping bag on my road trips as the last time I didn't I spent the night shivering in the cab with my wet dog. A fuel line off my sending unit had rusted through leaving me dead on the side of the highway on a 35*F rainy night.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
The is a darn good list, I would say the only other thing..spare tire.

The spare was included in my first post.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by feets
The spare was included in my first post.
Yeah yeah, I know I need glasses.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:05 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
A belt tensioner. They don't give any notice of failure, and you're SOL without one. If nothing else throw a good used one under the seat.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
It's a Cummins. Stab it and steer.
The following 4 users liked this post by j_martin:
j.fonder (05-20-2016), Mike L (05-18-2016), peckens (05-21-2016), RamGuy84 (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What ever you do Stay away from the Rock Star or Red Bull Garbage it's a Heart attack in a Can . their are Plenty of way's to keep yourself awake .
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (05-19-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm going on a 600 mile trip this weekend including going over the Grapevine with a car trailer loaded on the southbound way.

My truck the short time I've owned it has been less than reliable although the injection pump leak and shaft seal popping out I'm pretty sure were related to a crimped/kinked fuel return line I just found by the gas tank. It was bent over almost 90 degrees.

For my trip I'm taking full tool box, a breaker bar with extension and socket that fit the lug nuts, a bottle jack capable of lifting the front tire, 2 small pieces of 2x6 to put jack on, 5gal diesel, 5gal water, cell phone, electric repair kit, extra lift pump, bulk hose.

Would like to get extra belt and tensioner if there is time.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 PM

Truck, small tool bag, spare tire and Jack . and AAA card . full of Fuel and wide awake Driver .Get in and Go . don't stress over what Might break. If you do that you will Carry way more then Needed .
Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by RamGuy84
What ever you do Stay away from the Rock Star or Red Bull Garbage it's a Heart attack in a Can . their are Plenty of way's to keep yourself awake .

I never messed with that stuff.

On one road trip I made the mistake of picking up a box of Fiddle Faddle and some Dr Pepper at a truck stop west of Joplin, MO. It was pretty late at night.
When I hit the OK/TX border it was all gone and I was buzzing with a sugar rush.

By the time I rolled into DFW the crash hit and it took everything I had to stay awake the last 15 miles home.

The real secret to staking awake is DON'T STOP TO PEE! You can sleep when you're hot or cold, hungry or full, wind blowing in your face, and with loud music blaring but you can't sleep if you have to pee.

However, once you do relieve yourself you better find a place to crash because it'll happen quickly.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by RamGuy84
Truck, small tool bag, spare tire and Jack . and AAA card . full of Fuel and wide awake Driver .Get in and Go . don't stress over what Might break. If you do that you will Carry way more then Needed .
My 72 Imperial served as the roadside assistance truck for a bunch of Mopar guys on the 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour (Detroit to Dallas). You can't see everything in this pic because some of it was double stacked.

I'm glad I took so much, including the spare parts, because we got into it for someone every day. There were three separate tool boxes, two electrical kits, and lots of spares. At one point the alternator died on a Challenger and we threw my spare at it until we could find him a new one at a parts store.

Sadly, my Imperial wasn't immune.
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready for a road trip-power-tour.jpg   Getting ready for a road trip-imperial-2.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I don't touch that stuff either.
I was in a snowboard contest in Colorado that was sponsored by Red Bull in '96 and I had some….Gross! I could hardly compete after less then half a can.
If I am in a pinch to make it to the next rest area and I find myself falling asleep with the Slayer cranking on the radio and the window open is not enough. I just slap myself in the face with my hand. It is hard to fall asleep with your blood rushing to your head and face stinging.
It might sound crazy but it is better than falling asleep on the road.
That would be a REALLY hard slap in the face.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 PM

My bad habit is Sun flower seed's .I can drive for Hour's . the Spit's are the best they have Low Salt and don't hurt your Mouth s bad as the rest out there .I have done 14 to 17 hr's of driving that way .I don't go by Miles driven it's Bag's needed to do the set Miles .But it Work's . Along with a Good Radio your set for a while .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting ready for a road trip