1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag Whining

Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by GCam
Just to add in a bit of back story, the man I bought the truck from said he had a shop take a part 2 transmissions and build 1, that was around 20,000 miles ago.

Can you explain what exactly is happening to the transmission, as now it is affecting 4th gear. I leave for the 3500 mile trip home in the morning. What should I expect if a bearing does finally fail, anything I can do to slow it down?

Lastly, see attached photo, since adding the new oil it seems to be leaking from the seem at the transmission and the bell housing. any ideas?
I was hoping somebody else with more experience with this trans would chime in. If you have a trans that was put together from 2 others my guess is that you're looking at the cost of a rebuilt trans. NOT to rebuild yours but a completely different g360. When you swap gears out they don't play well with other used gears. My guess is that you have a cluster gear going south. If it whines in all gears except 4th then that most likely it. 4th gear is straight through 1:1 and the gears simply freewheel.

If the fellow who built it didn't get the bearing preload right, you'll get noise if they're loose and the bearings will fail if the preload is to tight.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I was hoping somebody else with more experience with this trans would chime in. If you have a trans that was put together from 2 others my guess is that you're looking at the cost of a rebuilt trans. NOT to rebuild yours but a completely different g360. When you swap gears out they don't play well with other used gears. My guess is that you have a cluster gear going south. If it whines in all gears except 4th then that most likely it. 4th gear is straight through 1:1 and the gears simply freewheel.

If the fellow who built it didn't get the bearing preload right, you'll get noise if they're loose and the bearings will fail if the preload is to tight.
Thabks so much for your input Edwin. 4th is starting to whine like the lower gears and 5th is still fine, no whining at all.

I am going to look at a rebuilt tranny when I get home.

Any thoughts on where my fluid is leaking from? My concern is losing too much while on the road.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Man I dunno if I'd take that on a 3500 mile trip also involving towing with the trans whining. It sucks being in BFE with a nuked trans and trailer in an almost 30 year old truck. I once sat in Frisco CO for week and a half when my 10 year old CTD slipped the transfer case chain. Nice town but pricey.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok, so I’m no trans expert by far but I might as well chime in. I have a rag and I grenaded it pulling a trailer and car from oaks pa to Wilmington couldn’t figure out what happened cause there was this vibration and a thumping noise coming anytime I shifted from 2 to 3 and forget 4th and 5th. I’ve been avoiding pulling it apart to see my damage so what I did was throw back in my beefed up 727 never was lucky to have the OD in my rig so for what it’s worth before there is catastrophe in the future I’d say pin it down before it lets you down.
Much luck in all of your adventures. Take care be safe.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Thabks so much for your input Edwin. 4th is starting to whine like the lower gears and 5th is still fine, no whining at all.

I am going to look at a rebuilt tranny when I get home.

Any thoughts on where my fluid is leaking from? My concern is losing too much while on the road.
I wonder if the front bearing retainer is loose. This could be the source of your noise if that is loose and letting the bearing float. Unfortunately you have to pull the trans to check it.

Edwin
Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Preload set too light maybe when it was rebuilt. Which caused the input shaft to wobble some which in turn took the seal out of the front and let the oil out and then caused the trans to run hot and burn the syncros and other bearings. Just my guess but could have happened.
As far as driving it not sure but I guess you could keep filling it and see how far you get. I think that the 360's are way better transmissions than they get credit for.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZAAR
Ok, so I’m no trans expert by far but I might as well chime in. I have a rag and I grenaded it pulling a trailer and car from oaks pa to Wilmington couldn’t figure out what happened cause there was this vibration and a thumping noise coming anytime I shifted from 2 to 3 and forget 4th and 5th. I’ve been avoiding pulling it apart to see my damage so what I did was throw back in my beefed up 727 never was lucky to have the OD in my rig so for what it’s worth before there is catastrophe in the future I’d say pin it down before it lets you down.
Much luck in all of your adventures. Take care be safe.
Originally Posted by thrub
Preload set too light maybe when it was rebuilt. Which caused the input shaft to wobble some which in turn took the seal out of the front and let the oil out and then caused the trans to run hot and burn the syncros and other bearings. Just my guess but could have happened.
As far as driving it not sure but I guess you could keep filling it and see how far you get. I think that the 360's are way better transmissions than they get credit for.
Thanks!

What am I looking or listening for to tell me
​​​​​​ the tranny is getting low on fluid?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:02 PM

If it gets louder the oil is probably getting lower. I would check it through the fill plug every now and then. Seriously consider fixing it before the trip unless you have no choice.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by thrub

Not disagreeing but I generally reserve that strategy for getting a vehicle home when it has problems half way through a trip as opposed to starting a trip that way.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
If it gets louder the oil is probably getting lower. I would check it through the fill plug every now and then. Seriously consider fixing it before the trip unless you have no choice.
Do you mean the general chatter of the transmission will get louder or the whining I described? I was already halfway through the trip when the issue started.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
As in don’t take the trip if you are questioning the reliability and if it’s chattery now put some strain and load on it and see if it starts having a conversation with ya. I personally wouldn’t take the trip given the details you’ve explained, maybe after a rebuild or a thorough tear down inspection while your at it might as well do a rebuild freshen up.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, I made it within 800 miles of home and had to shut it down. Started hearing grinding cruising in 5th. The truck is getting hauled home later this week and my family and I were able to score a ride home. I will now be on the hunt for a transmission, will be doing some research on the NV4500 as a possible upgrade? Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
I will now be on the hunt for a transmission, will be doing some research on the NV4500 as a possible upgrade? Thanks again!
Personally I would not call swapping to the NV-4500 as an upgrade.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Personally I would not call swapping to the NV-4500 as an upgrade.

Why not? From what I gather all the transmission options have pros and cons, I also looked at a couple 6 speed options before but none seem "great".
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
I think both the Getrag and the NV-4500 are great transmissions.

Swapping in the NV-4500 into a 4x4 1st gen is more of a pain [and $$] than it is worth in my book. I have done the NV-4500 swap in my black crew cab...
I wish I had just installed a rebuild Getrag.

I don't think I will ever build another 4x4 1st gen using a NV-4500.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getrag Whining