1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag vs NV4500

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My NV4500 came from a shop here in Ft. Worth, rebuilt with 5th gear fixed. Think it was somewhere around 1600. Had problems with the first one they sent but after a short call received another and the stuff to send the first back. No complaints about it except due to low axle gears wish I would have got the 6 speed.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by freight train
Hey Apwatson, I see you have this setup (HX35/16CM/60mm compressor). Do you like or love it? I thought about a 60mm upgrade in my stock rock along with a 14cm nonwastwegate but I was told to not go past a 16cm for EGT's during towing! Any complaints? Robert
I wouldn't waste your money on it. If you're going to go any bigger injectors than stock, save for an HX-40 or s300 variant. I can only keep about 20psi of boost cool while towing. But I also tow at 5000ft+ elevation so that is a factor also.

93-12smoke:

The 6 speed trannies have pretty much the same over drive ratio as the 5 speeds. Meaning 6th gear is the same ratio as 5th gear in the 5 speeds. They just space the other gears closer together. So no additional help on the high way with low axle gears.

Aaron
Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both and I will say the 4500 is much easier to shift. The getrag has 160,000 miles on it in it's defense and the clutch is at the end of it's life. I bought the 'rag truck from an easy drivin' old man and since some minor upgrades and wompin on it here and there the bearings are giving me some vibration issues under load. To be expected. The NV is fairly new to me and I don't know for sure it's condition but it seems to handle the unavoidable lugging I must do a lot better, which I would attribute to the style bearings or possibly being a newer tranny. hard to say for sure. If you are going thru the trouble of swapping to a manual tranny I would spend the money on the NV. For what you'll spend freshening up either in the end you'll find the NV to be easier driving.
The six speeds while not having higher o/d gearing, may be an advantage as the 5 speeds(especially the 'Rag) kinda stink shifting between 3 and 4. There is a gap there where you lose a lot of rpms. Don't forget the 5600 is very hard to get parts for.

I guess it depends on what you'll be doing most with it. That will dictate the what will handle upper power levels or towing or your wallet.

I don't think gear vendors are out of the question either.Some may say too much shifting, but if your pulling it would help with those gaps between 3 and 4 on a 5 spd.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
alwaysonDTR

i feel the gap between the gears is 2nd to 3rd and not 3rd to 4th with the getrag
Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM

I know several guys who took the getrags out and put 4500s in their first gens. PM DennyT and talk to him about his swap he is a great guy who also sells fuel pins for the ve that will stomp an ol smokey. A company in dallas sells complete nv4500s rebuilt with the 5th gear fix for a grand the only problem is you have to pick them up. My understanding of the getrag was that it was a medium duty truck trans and if "overfilled" with fluid and shifted properly it would hold up to the cummins. As far as needing and adapter to put the 4500 in a 1st gen all you need is the 2nd gen backing plate, bell housing and move the starter to the drivers side of the truck. In fact I went and looked at some new dodges, gassers, but they are using a newer getrag in them. The main issue before with the gets was the inability to get parts. Now you don't have to order them from Germany it's more affordable. I have driven both and I guess what I'm saying is that in the end it's up to the driver. My second gen has the 4500 and I love the way it shifts, but the getrag has a taller 5th which is nicer for fuel mileage.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM

i have heard about a factory who rebuilt getrags not building them right. something about bearing clearences or something like that. getrags themselfs are a good trans. im a old school bmw guy and my friends have put 400+ hp threw little ones and not blow. there are guys online running 800+ hp 600+ tq turbo inline 6s and the trannys hold up. yes i understand cummings makes more power but i think there are more issues going on. i have also heard about NV4500s STILL loosing 5th gear after doing the update
Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM

The Getrag in my 92 has been a great transmission with no problems. I recently had it rebuilt after 430,000 miles only because the 3rd gear synchronizer was starting to act up. My dad used to tow trailers and various equipment with it all the time. When I had it rebuilt, the transmission guy told us that the reason the synchronizer was damaged was because of the transmission oil we were using. The Dodge manual says to use 90W gear oil so that is what my dad used since new. The guy told us to switch to synthetic because the 90W oil was damaging the synchronizer(s). So, if you haven't switched yet, start using synthetic and you might not ever have to rebuild the Getrag after all. Hopes this help you decide.

Dawson
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
I don't know ask stomp he put down 600+ with a rag no probs.
Brian Block also put down 600+rwhp. His 'Rag ripped 3rd gear out I know, and maybe a couple others.

My brother's '97 NV4500 has been running 600+rwhp through it for quite a while. The only reasin he had to get his rebuilt, was because he let his moron friend who didn't know how to drive a stick to burnouts in it.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
[QUOTE=prozach007;2349689] As far as needing and adapter to put the 4500 in a 1st gen all you need is the 2nd gen backing plate, bell housing and move the starter to the drivers side of the truck.

What about the differences in the tranny mount and the 4x4 shifter hook up? My dad already has this kit. It came with a new bell, a big spacer for the trans mount, and a special plate for the 4x4 shifter. Remember the NV4500 is setup for the sifter to be mounted on the driverside, not the passanger like on our first gens.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Ace
Banned

I believe you have to make a new hole to get the stick through the floor, as well.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by freight train
What about the differences in the tranny mount and the 4x4 shifter hook up? My dad already has this kit. It came with a new bell, a big spacer for the trans mount, and a special plate for the 4x4 shifter. Remember the NV4500 is setup for the sifter to be mounted on the driverside, not the passanger like on our first gens.
There are two kinds of t-case shifters in a 1st gen. Gated and non-gated. They take different mounts. You have to get the right one from Advance Adapters.

The starter is already on the drivers side on a 1st gen.

You do have to cut a new hole in the floor.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM

I believe the hole in the floor needs to go back 7".
As stated above the starter is already on the drivers side.
The gear ratio for 5th in a Getrag is .77 while the 4500 is .74 so with 235/85/16 tires you would be turning about 90 rpm less with the 4500.
With 3.54 gears the final ratio in 5th with the Getrag is 2.73 while the 4500 is 2.62.

I believe the 4500 is better than the Getrag but for what your doing, why bother?

I am planning to go to a 4500 also but only so I can get a 1-3/8 input.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Oh goodie, another transmission argument.......er--discussion.

I am gonna have to say that the GETRAG is the better choice.

One reason many forget is the GETRAGs are behind a killer no-non-sense SACHS clutch, while the NVs are behind a flimsy stamped steel toy that looks like something out of some punks mustang.

The Dodge/Cummins-ONLY repair shop that I frequent always has a bunch of 2nd Gen.s waiting for either a replacement clutch or a busted NV to be replaced.

Most of these trucks are un-molested farmer rigs that are for the most part bone-stock, but they do get abused and neglected.

Most 1st Gen. Getrags are still using the SACHS clutch that came in the truck twenty-years and 300,000-miles ago.

One point I have made numerous times is DRIVE a Getrag like a truck, instead of a go-fast toy, and it most likely will never give any problems, providing, of course, it is properly over-filled with appropriate lube.

Back when it was brand-new, we did have a Getrag to lose 5th-gear on us a LONG way from home.

The sides of the transmission got red, like a coal-stove.

The guy at the huge Dodge dealership showed us over twenty new trucks with the same problem and all of them waiting for a replacement transmission.

At this time, Dodge considered the Getrag as un-repairable, only to be completely replaced.

There was a national back-order on Getrags.

The truck was either a 92 or 93; I can't remember which.

We drove it home, about 1500-miles, pulling a big gooseneck, and made it all the way by only using 4th-gear.

I believe this episode was at the time when a bunch of bad Getrags got put in new trucks and that is where the bad reputation started.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I'm Still running a Sach's in front of my 4500
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 AM

i have had my 93 with a getrag since 1999 and other than the overfill its just fine. coarse i pull 5-6 ton on the gooseneck of hay once in a great moon and it does just fine but it never sees fifth with a load on. and yes i drive like the old man i am. if i want to go fast i drag out my 69 ss camaro with a muncie in it and slam some gears. and i know the rock crusher saginaw was a better trans .

Quick Reply: Getrag vs NV4500