1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag noise

Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Getrag noise

Hey you all,

So have searched around and am pretty sure I know what the issue is, but wanted to pick your brains before I draw any conclusions.

Basically my getrag started making a grinding noise shifting from 5th to 4th a while ago, was not very noticable at first, but overtime kept getting worse until it started to make the noise anytime I downshifted into any gear. If I rev the engine up to match the lower gear while shifting down all is well, if not then the grind comes. Also notice if I roll back in neutral down my drive way with the clutch pressed in getting ready to shift into 2nd to go forward, but not in 2nd, the noise is the worst, and wont go away until I let off the clutch, or engage 2nd to go forward.

From reading it is either the synchros or a worn bearing or other part that is letting the synchros move and play beyond their home.

My dad is a mechanic and has rebuilt man trannys in his life, so would have no issue with it. But it is funny, when he drove it he didnt notice anything. Though he probably is nicer to the tranny than me, since I use the tranny to slow down rather than the brakes. Which is now a habit I will stop yesterday. Also, admittedly, lug around town in high gear more than I should, which is also going to stop. Apparently getrags are more sensitive to this type of abuse.

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 AM

Wow, almost 7 years since my last post here.

Anyone who remembers me, I did end up selling my old black/silver truck to a friend of mine and didnt have a cummins for nearly 5 years. Back in the saddle now with a d250 that am currently in the process of fixing up for a trade in for 92 w350 c&c dually with a 10’ flat deck on it. Need something a little more capable for a business I am starting.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:31 PM

Well my dad went out with me to try to figure out the sound that is coming from the tranny. He says it is not the synchros, but not quite sure yet what it is. We are going to drop te tranny out tomorrow to see what is going on. Needs a clutch anyways.

It is strange though, no matter what gear I am in, if I simply push the clutch in and hold it, while still in gear, it starts making the noise and doesnt stop till I pull my foot off the clutch.

Can anyone familiar with getrags shed a little light?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MoPowa
Well my dad went out with me to try to figure out the sound that is coming from the tranny. He says it is not the synchros, but not quite sure yet what it is. We are going to drop te tranny out tomorrow to see what is going on. Needs a clutch anyways.

It is strange though, no matter what gear I am in, if I simply push the clutch in and hold it, while still in gear, it starts making the noise and doesnt stop till I pull my foot off the clutch.

Can anyone familiar with getrags shed a little light?
Throw out bearing? It is always spinning on our trucks. I have had them do what you describe in the past.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Sounds like that is likely the issue. Will report back. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:12 PM

Got it out today, think the noise was a combination of a worn pilot bushing, worn throwout bearing as well as the shift fork that presses the throwout bearing was worn into the bearing ..block? that the fork rests on. Also the bearing in the clutch disc was worn. Interestingly enough the material on the clutch disc had lots of meat left, even though there is 420000kms on it.

Will keep updating
The following 2 users liked this post by MoPowa:
mknittle (03-26-2018), nonrev (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MoPowa
Got it out today, think the noise was a combination of a worn pilot bushing, worn throwout bearing as well as the shift fork that presses the throwout bearing was worn into the bearing ..block? that the fork rests on. Also the bearing in the clutch disc was worn. Interestingly enough the material on the clutch disc had lots of meat left, even though there is 420000kms on it.

Will keep updating
I am really easy on clutches an have replaced pilot bushings and throw out bearings and just put it back together and run it with no problems.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:23 AM

Just wanted to update thread for anyone down the road who may experience similiar symptoms. The throwout bearing was definitely the culprit, replaced it and a worn out pilot bushing and all is well, sound is gone.
The following 3 users liked this post by MoPowa:
edwinsmith (03-31-2018), mknittle (03-31-2018), PapeCAT (03-31-2018)