1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag hard to shift into reverse, 1 and 5th...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Getrag hard to shift into reverse, 1 and 5th...

Well, the title pretty much sums it up. Reverse is a bear to get into as is 5th (also hard to get out of 5th) if I知 not moving. Sometimes 1st is hard to get into as well. I知 thinking the clutch is not fully disengaging but I知 also reading about some shifter top issues. If I知 rolling backwards it seems to go into reverse ok. What do y誕ll think?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Clutch not releasing fully.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I'd flush the hydraulics for the clutch, and see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
When I had this problem, it was a bad pilot bushing. I thought the shifter was going to break a few times trying to get it into reverse...Mark
Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
When I had this problem, it was a bad pilot bushing. I thought the shifter was going to break a few times trying to get it into reverse...Mark
Like this?

Old 01-10-2019, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Exactly like that. when I pulled the tranny the pilot bushing literally fell out of the flywheel. if you haven't had the tranny out in a while, maybe a clutch, pressure plate, tob, rear main crank seal and a new bushing. There are also some threads about machining the flywheel and installing a ball or roller type bearing...Mark
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Also check the area where the clutch pushrod attaches to the pedal. The hole in the pushrod wears and the pivot does too. Loss of throw in the master cylinder would not allow the slave cylinder to push the throwout bearing far enough. Couple of repair options in sticky.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgenstein
Also check the area where the clutch pushrod attaches to the pedal. The hole in the pushrod wears and the pivot does too. Loss of throw in the master cylinder would not allow the slave cylinder to push the throwout bearing far enough. Couple of repair options in sticky.
This was exactly what I mentioned to Jaysen, when he called me yesterday afternoon.
Check that the nylon bushing at the end on the rod on the slave cylinder as if it breaks away or wears off it limits your maximum throw.
A worn "pocket" in the clutch fork will do the same.

I would also recommend to check the fluid level in the trans like Mark said and make sure it is NOT full of gear oil. I have seen a lot of Getrags ruined due to using gear oil in cold temps.
They are spec'ed out for 5W-30, I have also heard of people in hot areas use 10W-30 for a little better protection when things get hot.
I use Mobil-1 5W-30 myself in my Getrags with PTO cooler plates and a full QT. over full.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgenstein
I had this problem which caused the starter interlock to not engage. I solved it with a new MC with an unworn eye and by the application of JB-Weld to the shaft on the pedal that engages the MC. I put the new plastic bushing over the JB-Weld and let it set before assembling the rest. SO far it's holding but if the JB-Weld breaks loose I'll have to look at a more permanent fix like welding and filing. I also replaced the slave cylinder and the plastic line between the cylinders.

About the only thing I haven't replaced in my driveline is the rubber on the pedal.

Edwin
Old 01-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I had this problem which caused the starter interlock to not engage. I solved it with a new MC with an unworn eye and by the application of JB-Weld to the shaft on the pedal that engages the MC. I put the new plastic bushing over the JB-Weld and let it set before assembling the rest. SO far it's holding but if the JB-Weld breaks loose I'll have to look at a more permanent fix like welding and filing. I also replaced the slave cylinder and the plastic line between the cylinders.

About the only thing I haven't replaced in my driveline is the rubber on the pedal.

Edwin
I hear your truck has a loose nut behind the wheel
Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Ok, so I posted in the help section yesterday after my trans got stuck in 5th. I also talked with Oliver (thanks!). I just pulled the shift tower off and got it out of 5th. I did find that if you put it into 5th is stays there. I had to take it apart again. Now I drove it around a bit and 1-4 is no problem, reverse is still tricky, but 5th locks in each time. I知 ststarting to wonder if I have a bent shift fork. I haven稚 ruled out a clutch problem yet, I知 thinking that may be the start of this all.
Also, it sure smells like gear oil in tranny. Ugh.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I hear your truck has a loose nut behind the wheel
Three actually! But who's counting.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jaysen Strange
Ok, so I posted in the help section yesterday after my trans got stuck in 5th. I also talked with Oliver (thanks!). I just pulled the shift tower off and got it out of 5th. I did find that if you put it into 5th is stays there. I had to take it apart again. Now I drove it around a bit and 1-4 is no problem, reverse is still tricky, but 5th locks in each time. I’m ststarting to wonder if I have a bent shift fork. I haven’t ruled out a clutch problem yet, I’m thinking that may be the start of this all.
Also, it sure smells like gear oil in tranny. Ugh.
I was wondering if somebody had put gear oil in your tranny. You might want to drain it and replace it with 5 quarts of 5W40 synthetic motor oil or ATF at the least. ATF is what Mopar specifies actually. If you have a 4X4 you may have a bad seal between the tranny and the transfer case.

Edwin

Last edited by edwinsmith; 01-10-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add additional info.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I was wondering if somebody had put gear oil in your tranny. You might want to drain it and replace it with 5 quarts of 5W40 synthetic motor oil or ATF at the least. ATF is what Mopar specifies actually. If you have a 4X4 you may have a bad seal between the tranny and the transfer case.

Edwin

I think 5W-30 was what was spec'ed from Dodge. but that is from word of mouth, not textbook.
The mouth the words came from was pretty reliable though...

If it sticks in 5th all the time I would think you have a problem with the top cover and / or shift forks.
I could see a clutch problem that lead to jamming or getting it stuck it in gear that lead to a bend shift fork.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I think 5W-30 was what was spec'ed from Dodge. but that is from word of mouth, not textbook.
The mouth the words came from was pretty reliable though...

If it sticks in 5th all the time I would think you have a problem with the top cover and / or shift forks.
I could see a clutch problem that lead to jamming or getting it stuck it in gear that lead to a bend shift fork.
Here is a screen shot of page OH-2 of the 89 Dodge Diesel Supplement which I got from Geno's. NOTE: It says that if ATF not available use 5W30 engine oil. I think the 5 in 5W30 is the crucial part so that the bearings get lubed when the trans is cold. I plan to use 5W40 for my next change.

Edwin

Quick Reply: Getrag hard to shift into reverse, 1 and 5th...