1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Filled up with diesel but it was gas. No power, white smoke, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Filled up with diesel but it was gas. No power, white smoke, now what?

I topped up with about ten gallons the other day and the green handle was pumping gas. The fuel supplier put premium in the diesel and diesel in the premium at the gas station. Five miles later I lost power and limped home for about a mile. When I shut her down, blue smoke kept coming out for 10 to 20 seconds.The supplier towed my truck to a diesel shop. The shop stated that they drained and filled the tank, replaced fuel filter, and added an additive. They said there was most likely a problem in the fuel system not related to little if any gas in the tank. When it was returned I started it and profuse white smoke was coming out. The engine ran rough, seemed like it was missing bad, and even blew white smoke rings out the exhaust! So now what? I'm thinking about having the injectors and injection pump inspected and rebuilt if necessary. Replace lift pump, fuel filter, clean all lines, compression test and bore scope the cylinders. Could the gas have caused this? Am I missing something? Am I overdoing it? I'm kind of freaking out because I like my truck. FWIW she has 275k miles on her and ran perfect until I fueled up. Great first post huh?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hopefully you kept your receipt for the fuel because gas can indeed damage your fuel system. The TOTAL cost on the repairs is on the gas station and they know it, you are not the first to have this issue.

Bad fuel kills Injectors, Injector pumps etc....
Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by crisbeis
I topped up with about ten gallons the other day and the green handle was pumping gas. The fuel supplier put premium in the diesel and diesel in the premium at the gas station. Five miles later I lost power and limped home for about a mile. When I shut her down, blue smoke kept coming out for 10 to 20 seconds.The supplier towed my truck to a diesel shop. The shop stated that they drained and filled the tank, replaced fuel filter, and added an additive. They said there was most likely a problem in the fuel system not related to little if any gas in the tank. When it was returned I started it and profuse white smoke was coming out. The engine ran rough, seemed like it was missing bad, and even blew white smoke rings out the exhaust! So now what? I'm thinking about having the injectors and injection pump inspected and rebuilt if necessary. Replace lift pump, fuel filter, clean all lines, compression test and bore scope the cylinders. Could the gas have caused this? Am I missing something? Am I overdoing it? I'm kind of freaking out because I like my truck. FWIW she has 275k miles on her and ran perfect until I fueled up. Great first post huh?
Did the fuel station fess up to the fuel mix up? Obviously, good business practice says that the station should cover your damages, then they can go after, subrogate is the insurance industry term, the fuel supplier. In Az the small claims max is 5k dollars, which would probably cover the damages...Mark
Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I would first contact the supplier and let them know your truck is not fixed and they should cover whatever other repairs it needs to return it to the state it was before the gasoline was added. Don't take no for an answer, if need be consult a lawyer.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:24 PM

Like my receipt and what the clerk wrote on it?

Old 04-09-2018, 12:43 PM

The suppliers general operations manager basically said that it is a problem with the truck and not the fuel and that I should file a claim with my insurance company. I do not carry full coverage on this vehicle so that is not an option for me. He also told me that the truck was returned to the condition it was in before it was fueled which is not true. I contacted my attorney and he said that this should go to small claims court. Oregon's max amount for small claims is $10,000. I am going to send the IP and the injectors to a fuel injection shop to see if they can provide an opinion as to if these were damaged by gasoline. If they say gasoline was the cause it's off to court we go....I hope that I am not missing something.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Sucks but sounds like you are doing the right thing.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by crisbeis
The suppliers general operations manager basically said that it is a problem with the truck and not the fuel and that I should file a claim with my insurance company. I do not carry full coverage on this vehicle so that is not an option for me. He also told me that the truck was returned to the condition it was in before it was fueled which is not true. I contacted my attorney and he said that this should go to small claims court. Oregon's max amount for small claims is $10,000. I am going to send the IP and the injectors to a fuel injection shop to see if they can provide an opinion as to if these were damaged by gasoline. If they say gasoline was the cause it's off to court we go....I hope that I am not missing something.
Hang on to that receipt, it is legal gold. What I would do is file a small claims case and list the gas station, the fuel delivery people and the fuel supplier as respondents. The innocents will be filtered out in the course of the case. The really good thing about small claims court is that lawyers aren't allowed, at least in Az...Mark
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. I'll tear into this thing on Sunday and maybe it will shed some light as to what is going on with the truck. Who knows where it will go from there. I'll update when I know more.... Chris
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (04-13-2018)