1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fuel sending unit hook up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel sending unit hook up

so im replacing my fuel sending unit, but I feel like I'm missing some things. I know where the fuel return/supply lines go but I'm not sure about what connects to the to the other 2 fittings I have circled in the picture. I feel stupid for forgetting but I took the old unit out 6 days ago before a 75 hour work week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails fuel sending unit hook up-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
1st one circled at 10 o' clock position is rollover/vent. Dont break it! Its irreplaceable as no longer made. Put a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 inch hose over it to keep the mud daubers out.

2.d one is nothing. Probe with a screwdriver and you will see it dead ends. Just for looks.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jerseybud
1st one circled at 10 o' clock position is rollover/vent. Dont break it! Its irreplaceable as no longer made. Put a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 inch hose over it to keep the mud daubers out.

2.d one is nothing. Probe with a screwdriver and you will see it dead ends. Just for looks.
thanks so much for the reply. Another quick question. On the old sending unit I could not get the return line to to disconnect so I wound up cutting it right below the fitting. Is there a trick to getting this fitting to come off or should I get a new one. I've been to the local parts store but I haven't found anything that could work.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Is this sender on your 1991 in your signature?
Where did you get a replacement and how much did it cost you?
Mine will be on empty and $30 dumps it on the ground.
Never really know how much is in the tank.
Thanks.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Thanks.
Seems like a couple of months ago, Geno's garage had them, Jim. Then last night I was on their site, and I don't see them anymore. Unless, the years noted on which trucks they go on was a mistake. I have a paper catalog from them, an old one, that shows they had one. If it did discontinue on their product line, I am kicking myself in the butt for not picking one up.
Sucks that parts for these are disappearing. I hate forking out the $$ for something that's gonna sit on my shelf for the one day when I'll need it. It can get expensive being a parts hoarder, but I guess if we're gonna be keeping these trucks, that's what needs to be done.
My wife, for sure, doesn't understand, lol, the hoarding of parts "for one day"
Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Thanks.
The unit on my first post of the thread is the old one out of my 1991. The new unit is off of a 1992. I found the unit on craigslist with the tank for $100. But the metal bracket on the unit was rusted and I had to clean it up. I tried all the local parts stores and couldn't find it. I didn't try a dealership though.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Stupid Chrysler put a plastic sleeve (black in your pic) inside the fittings that prevents you from getting to the spring inside that you would use one of those fuel disconnect tools to get it off. I have removed them with needle nose pliers before and then replaced the fitting with one from napa, advance, etc. The coated with fluid film so it doesnt rust inside where the clip is.

Using a dremel cutoff wheel only at the widest part to "clamshell" it to pull the spring out is ok too, but if you mess the o ring sealing surface up, its the same as breaking it with a sledghammer- both are ruined

Not too hard to make a diesel unit out of a gasser unit by taking the pump out and making a siphon tube.