1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fuel line/pickup shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel line/pickup shopping list

Does anybody have a list of the parts I need to get a 1/2 supply to my piston lift pump?

I have to drop the tank soon, I'm thinking its due to a leaky fuel pickup seal. When I top off the tank real good it drips a little when parked. I figure while its down I need to clean/gut the screen, replace the gasket and run a bigger line.

Also any tips for getting the tank down would be great this will be a first for me.

Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to do a Hellmann sump in my tank when i do bigger lines. 1/2" outlet and it basically bolts into the bottom of your tank. It also will basically let you run your tank dry if you ever needed to.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Originally Posted by JBradley500
I want to do a Hellmann sump in my tank when i do bigger lines. 1/2" outlet and it basically bolts into the bottom of your tank. It also will basically let you run your tank dry if you ever needed to.

You must sleep as little or less than I do! Sheesh we were posting on eachothers comments at almost 11 last night and hear we are again this am!

Any tips on gettinng the tank down?

I've also heard a little about the vulcan draw straws? Are they any good?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 AM

LOL i bought some parts last night and couldnt sleep so i was up late and up early to check on shipping lol. As for your questions, i havent messed with the tank.

Heres a link with real good information in it if you havent already read it.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=151190
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Heres my post from a few days ago... maybe that will help you too.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t281660.html
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Run your tank down as low as you dare. It's amazing how difficult only 3-5 gallons of diesel can be when it's sloshing from one end to another in the tank on you. I put a 18" board or so in the middle for support and pushed up just slightly with my floor jack underneath it. Disconnect the rubber connection on the fill tube. Disconnect the fuel sender connection on top of the tank, and both the fuel lines. They are a pain. I think they make a special tool for it, but it can be done with screwdrivers and stuff. Loosen the 2 tank straps and if you look on the other end, they are connected to the frame with a slotted "T" connection. Slide the strap out of that T, don't bend it like I did the 1st time, makes putting it back in much more difficult. Lower the tank down slowly while balancing the end of the tank with your free hand. Once it's down as far as the jack goes, you should be able to man handle it off from there.

I pump out the rest of the tank into a bucket so it's much easier for putting it back in.

Also, you can take the round collar off the fuel assembly and get it lifting out before you lower it, but it can be a pain if you get the fuel lever arm hung up as your dropping it. It's not that big of a job, but it probably would be easier with a buddy. I'm a klutz and was able to do 2 on my own, so I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.