1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fix before selling for my old man?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix before selling for my old man?

EDIT: I accidentally put this in the wrong forum. I tried to delete it or move it but could not. The same post has been posted in the 12 valve engine and drive train section.

Looking for some advice here.
My old man's had a low miles, stock, 1996 sitting around leaking for a couple years. Unfortunately he had a massive stroke and wont be driving again. Mom says his (extra) trucks have to go. The medical bills and loss of income have put them in a jam so Id like to get the most possible for the 1996, 2500, extend cab long bed, 4x4, auto (rebuilt), 115k miles. I was able to get a month off work to move back and give them a hand.

The front main seal leaks but KDP hasn't been done. Prospective buyer would be getting in there anyway. It could use some front end work, not sure what but its steering is pretty lose. Headliner is sagging, he says it probably needs rear wheel bearings and last I heard the tps seemed to be causing a shifting issue.

Its all work I wish I had the time to do, but if it is going to get done it will be by a shop. Figuring 100 dollars hour, would it be worth it to have these repairs made before selling it? Could 2500-5000 in shop bills net him more than 2500-5000 in final sale price?

No doubt all y'all can give me is an educated guess, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by IHCsawyer; 01-11-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 01-11-2018, 03:18 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
You posted in the 1st gen section, you may have better/more luck in the 2nd gen board.

For vehicles in general, personally, I want as close to original as possible so I can do the fixes and upgrades because I trust my work more than somebody I don't know.

Then there are folks with no mechanical abilities and would rather buy it already done.

That doesn't help much does it. My guess is there are more folks that would rather buy a working running truck because they can't or don't know how to do the repairs themselves.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Pricing is based upon condition and locale

Rust free cummins powered vehicles sell well (and usually high priced) here, in the rust belt.

They're even more valuable up in the great white north.

Best bet is to go to ebay, Craigslist, and see what others are asking and getting for their old rides. It's usually somewhere in the middle.

I don't know where "anywhere" is, so that limits my ability to tell you what anything is worth in your neck of the woods.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by IHCsawyer
EDIT: I accidentally put this in the wrong forum. I tried to delete it or move it but could not. The same post has been posted in the 12 valve engine and drive train section.

Looking for some advice here.
My old man's had a low miles, stock, 1996 sitting around leaking for a couple years. Unfortunately he had a massive stroke and wont be driving again. Mom says his (extra) trucks have to go. The medical bills and loss of income have put them in a jam so Id like to get the most possible for the 1996, 2500, extend cab long bed, 4x4, auto (rebuilt), 115k miles. I was able to get a month off work to move back and give them a hand.

The front main seal leaks but KDP hasn't been done. Prospective buyer would be getting in there anyway. It could use some front end work, not sure what but its steering is pretty lose. Headliner is sagging, he says it probably needs rear wheel bearings and last I heard the tps seemed to be causing a shifting issue.

Its all work I wish I had the time to do, but if it is going to get done it will be by a shop. Figuring 100 dollars hour, would it be worth it to have these repairs made before selling it? Could 2500-5000 in shop bills net him more than 2500-5000 in final sale price?

No doubt all y'all can give me is an educated guess, but any info would be greatly appreciated.
If a shop does the work listed, anywhere, it would quickly eat up most of the value of the truck, IMHO. They are inherently valuable and sought after by people that fix them up or part them out. I would throw it out there at a high price, be willing to negotiate and see what happens. You can always lower the price...Mark Edit: By the way, none of the things that you listed, except maybe the front end, are that hard to do or that time consuming. A couple or 3 weekends should do it...